Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How much rent to charge DD?

(64 Posts)
MOIST Sat 23-Sep-17 11:28:33

She's not gone away to uni so living at home and going to uni locally. She gets minimal maintainence loan.
How much to expect her to pay us?

Ginmakesitallok Sat 23-Sep-17 11:30:11

Nothing? I couldn't imagine charging Mt child while they weren't earning and still in ft education. Where is she meant to get the money?

MOIST Sat 23-Sep-17 11:30:21

She's also autistic, bone idle, selfish and stingy.

AlcoholicsUnanimous Sat 23-Sep-17 11:30:21

Do you need the money?

Unihorn Sat 23-Sep-17 11:30:39

Most 18 year olds I've known to continue living with their parents pay £20 or £30 a week. Some don't pay anything. I suppose it depends on other things too, such as whether she will share food and toiletries etc. with you.

MOIST Sat 23-Sep-17 11:30:51

She has a student loan. It's not much less than if she were living away.

dementedpixie Sat 23-Sep-17 11:31:34

Is she isn't working then I wouldn't be charging her

Fannylodger Sat 23-Sep-17 11:32:03

What's her having a neurological disorder got to do with it?
You sound like a twat.
biscuit

I have no issue with parents charging rent by the way but not only is she not earning but you're using a medical condition as an excuse to charge her. I'm flabbergasted really.

MOIST Sat 23-Sep-17 11:32:06

Yes. I could do with the extra. But mostly because I'm making up the shortfall for DD1 whose loan doesn't cover her rent while she's away.

AlcoholicsUnanimous Sat 23-Sep-17 11:33:17

I agree with others, nothing or £20 if you really need it.

MOIST Sat 23-Sep-17 11:33:46

Fanny. You have that completely wrong. If that were the case I'd claim her PIP, carers allowance and everything else in my own name. Which is not the case.
I happened to mention the ASD as an aside.

MOIST Sat 23-Sep-17 11:34:10

She also works part time so is working too

retainertrainer Sat 23-Sep-17 11:34:28

I wouldn't charge her anything but if she's reckless with money then maybe £50 a month and save it up for her. It'd be a nice lump sum to get her started in the 'real world ' once she's finished her degree.

silentsigh Sat 23-Sep-17 11:34:33

If you can manage financially without rent then I wouldn't charge her anything because she's still in full time education and her maintenance loan is reduced as she's not living out. If not, then maybe half what she would pay if she were staying in halls? Plus maybe the cost of her food. Also will she have to pay to commute?

AlcoholicsUnanimous Sat 23-Sep-17 11:34:43

So you want you DD to pay for her sisters rent essentially? That's not fair at all.

Tameagobairanois Sat 23-Sep-17 11:34:51

I'd be giving her money!

I'm a single parent btw. One income, two kids. But how is she supposed to find money for rent?

NeverEnoughSleep1 Sat 23-Sep-17 11:34:58

You can't just take money off your DD to cover another of your DDs rent. If you need the money for bills and food fair enough but it seems wrong to take off one child to give to another

WhataHexIgotinto Sat 23-Sep-17 11:35:11

You description makes it sound like you don't like her very much at all.

Shutupanddance1 Sat 23-Sep-17 11:35:15

Fucking hell - it is what, first month this kid is at uni? They are already in debt as they have a loan (did you agree to this) and you want to take more money out of their pockets? FFS, why stop there?

astrotel Sat 23-Sep-17 11:35:49

Are you paying her the expected parental contribution? I think that if you live at home then it is expected that parents would pay less of that?

The loan system expects parents to contribute.

MOIST Sat 23-Sep-17 11:36:25

So in summary. I am skint

She has student loan, PIP, part time earnings, does nothing to help (not expected due to ASD and other health stuff - and I actually don't mind).

silentsigh Sat 23-Sep-17 11:38:07

Yikes, you put autistic in with "bone idle, selfish and stingy" as if you're insulting her for having ASD?!

astrotel Sat 23-Sep-17 11:38:07

She gets a minimal maintenance alone to allow for the fact that her parents are mean to be supporting her as she lives at home.

If they live in halls then parents are also expected to contribute- it is built into the sytstem.

She should move out and into halls. She will have missed the opportunity now but if she tries in a few months then spaces will be free. Sounds like she needs to break free from the family home.

MOIST Sat 23-Sep-17 11:38:32

The description of her may have been written mid 'discussion'. Makes it no less true.

TheLionQueen1 Sat 23-Sep-17 11:39:06

I absolutely wouldn't be charging her rent given she is in full time education? I would be talking to her about helping out though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now