Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What calendar do you use? Need suggestions for staying organised!

(21 Posts)
sirbedevere Sat 23-Sep-17 10:12:59

Feeling like I'm drowning in appointments, school related stuff and paperwork already! And we're only a few weeks into the school year. I buy a calendar every year but never seem to stick to using it, but I really need one now as a single parent of 3 DC. I'm sick of being panicked and disorganised. What calendar works for you? And any tips on staying organised gratefully received!

Chimchar Sat 23-Sep-17 10:21:08

I use a family planner type calendar, with one space for each member of the family. (I like the Gruffalo one! grin)
Keep it on a wall that you pass all the time, and write everything on it....go through at the start of the year and put down birthdays and stuff, then every time you get a letter from school or email, or appointment or whatever, put it on the calendar.

Look at it regularly, and try and think ahead to see if you need to do anything for the coming week.

Good luck. brewcake

dementedpixie Sat 23-Sep-17 10:24:18

I also use a family planner calendar with multiple columns. I have a hedgehugs one this year

dementedpixie Sat 23-Sep-17 10:26:00

www.calendarclub.co.uk/family/family-favourites/hedgehugs-a3-family-planner-2018-r202376?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhvuXqP661gIV6rztCh2LegSZEAQYAyABEgKzEvD_BwE might get this one for this year too

TheFallenMadonna Sat 23-Sep-17 10:26:58

I love stationery, but nothing works as well for me as the calendar on my phone. With a reminder set..

Frith1975 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:28:03

Whatever I receive free from local businesses (often our Chinese takeaway)

YesThisIsMe Sat 23-Sep-17 10:28:12

Family planner. Gruffalo some years, but this year I've got a cheap and cheerful one from the charity shop. As long as there's a space for each family member for each day then you'll be fine. I also pin appointment letters and flyers with dates and school timetables up on a board next to the calendar.

dementedpixie Sat 23-Sep-17 10:28:16

Mine is on the wall in the kitchen so it's easy to add to it and you can see at a glance if any birthdays or other events are due

Glitteryfrog Sat 23-Sep-17 10:28:34

Google calendar.
Take photos of the documents and attach them to the invite.
It's them on your phone, tablet and computer.
DH and I share our calendars with each other so we know what is going on.
I haven't had a paper diary/calendar for years.

dementedpixie Sat 23-Sep-17 10:29:24

I have a magnetic whiteboard on another wall and will put letters, etc on that

Clayhead Sat 23-Sep-17 10:30:46

*Google calendar.
Take photos of the documents and attach them to the invite.
It's them on your phone, tablet and computer.
DH and I share our calendars with each other so we know what is going on.
I haven't had a paper diary/calendar for years.*

This! We have teenage dc so it is shared with them too, they check it to see if they are free, to see what’s coming up.

Itsraininagain Sat 23-Sep-17 10:33:54

Used to use an Organised Mum calendar which was great ... when I remembered to look at it. Got recommendations on here for the Cozi app and can highly recommend. Everything from calendar to lists and can be shared, reminders set and a weekly email to tell me what's on that week.

Wallywobbles Sat 23-Sep-17 10:37:46

Currently using calendars5 app on my phone which is the best I've used so far visually speaking.

Then we have a family calendar I make myself. A3 paper one colomn per person. We also have holiday rentals so one for each of them too.

I also have a bullet journal.

sirbedevere Sat 23-Sep-17 10:44:55

I can't seem to get in with phone calendars at all did some reason. I think a paper calendar will suit me more since it's more in my face than checking my phone or getting reminders that I'm guaranteed to cancel and then forget instantly blush so a calendar with columns is good? I hate how pathetic I am at keeping on top of things - I'm determined to change!

Chimchar Sat 23-Sep-17 10:45:43

https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=107706&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100#704221

The gruffalo one is on offer for £4.99 smile

A1Sharon Sat 23-Sep-17 10:47:54

I haw a wall planner as many have shown above.
But this year I also bought a small pocket week to view diary, keepnit in my bag. I write everything in here and it keeps me right.

dementedpixie Sat 23-Sep-17 10:49:01

I like the A3 ones as the ones that fold right down are too big. I use one of the columns for my bin days too!

MrsBlobby83 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:56:07

Google calendar.
You still need a paper backup, as not everything always syncronises properly

brokenshoes Sat 23-Sep-17 19:41:09

Organised Mum 16 month calendar. They do ones with columns for each family member and those without.

I found I couldn't get on with the columns as things kept slipping through the net e.g. "Take DD to club" - does that go in DD's column or parent's column (mum/dad/both?) because a parent needs to be on hand to drop off and collect.

So now I use the more traditional layout and use it as an academic calendar, starting in September each year. As soon as school publishes term dates, on they go. Termly newsletter, put dates on etc.

There is ample space for "things to do", "things to remember" and "budgeting" on each page too.

Likeaninjanow Sat 23-Sep-17 19:45:39

I've posted this before, but I have a family wall calendar for long term arrangements, and a blackboard with a board for each day of the week, for short term plans.

Attending a party booked a month previous - on the wall planner.

Who is picking up which child from an activity, or which day to pack PE kit - on the blackboard.

I update the blackboard every Sunday night, after checking the long term view in case there's something on there I need to note on the blackboard.

It's been a lifesaver for me.

YBR Sat 23-Sep-17 19:51:06

google calendar, plus a whiteboard divided into rows for each day and columns for each person. We have a system to show a rolling week ahead on the whiteboard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now