Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

psychic, mediums and woo

(124 Posts)
trueornot Sat 23-Sep-17 03:23:30

I have NC for this as it could be really outing.

I feel silly posting this, but I had an interesting experience with a psychic/medium today and want to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. A friend of mine was having a phone reading today by a psychic/medium while I was at her house and in the middle of the reading the medium interrupted my friend and said that there was a man named Samual who kept coming through for a message for her friend who was sitting next to her. That friend was me, and the man named Samual was the name of my brother who died 15 years ago. I am not a believer in mediums or psychics and found it hilarious that my friend was having a reading in the first place. Yet, the level of detail that was given about my brother, how he died, and specific details about things that my mother later confirmed were true was astounding. I have done a deep dive on the internet and there is nothing about my brother, his death or my family online. I don't have Facebook nor does my friend so she could not have obtained the details this way. I also did not respond to any statement being made on the phone, I sat and listened (and recorded it with my phone) so I don't believe that there is any way she could have cold read me. I am shaken by this experience and I am very curious if anyone else has ever had a similar experience or an experience with a psychic who accurately predicted the future/provided accurate information.

I have started looking into academic/scientific research that is being conducted on psychics and mediums and I found that there are a few institutions that are looking into this, for instance, The University of Arizona has been researching whether communication with the afterlife is possible and James Tucker at The University of Virgina's Medical School is researching reincarnation. Dr. Julie Beischel at Windbridge Institute is testing the accuracy of mediums and through her quintuple-blind methodology with five levels of blinding, she found that 81% (I think this is correct, I could have misunderstood the results) of the readings done by the mediums in their research were correct. I am not really sure what to think about this, but I find it interesting that research is being done on this subject and I am wondering if there is something to this. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Also, I would like to keep this thread positive and to hear about other peoples experiences, so please don't comment if you are just going to be judgemental about people who have had readings.

SerfTerf Sat 23-Sep-17 03:29:42

I understand why it's beguiling and I can't explain your story from here but I think it has to be coldreading skills (is that the term?) and maybe sometimes blatant underhandedness.

How can the alternative possibly be true?

How are you feeling? That must have been a weird experience flowers

trueornot Sat 23-Sep-17 08:17:33

Thanks Serf: That is exactly what I would have thought as well, but I can't seem to figure out how she could have cold read me or known that information. I feel both confused by it and also curious about the possibility that perhaps there are things about the world that are unknown right now...who knows.

BertrandRussell Sat 23-Sep-17 08:20:10

"Also, I would like to keep this thread positive and to hear about other peoples experiences, "

Do you mean you only want to hear from people who believe in psychic phenomena?

trueornot Sat 23-Sep-17 08:38:32

Bert: I just meant that I would like it to be a supportive thread and not making fun of people who have seen them/believe them to be real because I don't want the thread to get derailed if that makes sense.

I am a sceptic and I am coming at it from that angle while also remaining curious about the current research being conducted on the survival of consciousness after death. I am curious to find out if anyone has had an experience with a medium or psychic where the information was spot on and/or they predicted things that later turned out to be correct. I hadn't given this any thought until today and would have laughed/rolled my eyes at the idea of seeing a psychic but now I am curious about what other people have experienced.

Winteriscomingneedmorewood Sat 23-Sep-17 08:42:19

I was the designated driver to a psychic years ago - was persuaded to have a reading against my judgement. She told me things about my gm and her death that she couldn't have known. . Nobody did. Came out in tears, and lost the bet over who would cry!!

trueornot Sat 23-Sep-17 08:46:40

Winter, do you think she could have gotten the information from a cold reading? Was it information that would only pertain your grandmother, and not just general or easy to guess information?

Winteriscomingneedmorewood Sat 23-Sep-17 08:49:41

She went into great detail about her house and garden, the circumstances around her being in hospital and ultimately her death. I said nothing, she didn't ask /make suggestions during the reading. .

BertrandRussell Sat 23-Sep-17 08:52:35

trueornot- I am afraid you are not a sceptic if you are quoting Julie Beischel as a reputable academic. Or The Windbridge Institute as a reputable academic institution.

Can I suggest you start your research by looking for Derren Brown on YouTube? He will answer most, if not all, of your questions about cold reading.

Needalifeoverhaul Sat 23-Sep-17 09:00:36

I've never had an experience but am very open minded to this kind of thing. Of course there are plenty of money making charlatans out there but I think it's pretty ignorant of us to dismiss the idea of psychic ability in some altogether. How did the experience make you feel overall Trueornot? I hope you gained some comfort rather than finding it upsetting flowers

HeartStrings Sat 23-Sep-17 09:04:42

I am a very very strong believer in this and can honestly say that the last reading I had was about a year ago and everything he has predicted so far has come true. Definitely will be going back for another reading soon

flumpybear Sat 23-Sep-17 09:08:28

Derren Brown was fantastic in his show and amazed everyone but kept saying it was just to show that psychics have methods

I have to say though it's weird that the phone psychic knew anything about a random person in the room - though it could be the same methodology

HeatedCatFurniture Sat 23-Sep-17 09:14:09

Your friend could have mentioned to the "psychic" when you weren't present that you were going to be there. She could have mentioned your name, search if your friend on Facebook gives your surname, google gives your grandfather's name. Not saying that's what happened but it could have.

HeatedCatFurniture Sat 23-Sep-17 09:14:45

Brother, even, sorry.

specialsubject Sat 23-Sep-17 09:17:54

I have no idea how Penn and teller do their tricks but I know it isn't magic. And they have said the same!

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

trueornot Sat 23-Sep-17 09:27:37

Bert: I don't know much about Julie and her research, can you let me know why you think she isn't reputable and why her research isn't supported. From the looks of it she follows the scientific method, etc.

Thank you for suggesting the Derren Brown video, I actually looked at it yesterday and I completely agree that the majority of people are cold reading, but this is certainly not the case here. I have played back my recording many times and can't hear me giving any information away. I also had the phone on mute from my end through most of my call because I have a cold and was coughing a lot.

Heated: Good point, but my friend didn't know about my brother, he died when I was very young and I rarely ever talk about him. It is something that I have always felt really awkward bringing up because it tends to shift the mood or my friends don't know how to respond. There is also nothing online about him or linking me to him, I spent an hour googling to make sure. Also, it would be highly unlikely and pointless for my friend to conspire with this woman.

trueornot Sat 23-Sep-17 09:32:53

Needalifeoverhaul: What is interesting about this experience is that it has made me feel more connected to my brother, or made me remember that he was a real person who was once part of my life. I am not sure if that makes sense but I think because he died when I was so young and because I have lived most of my life without him that I sort of forgot what life was like to have him here. It has also reminded me how fragile life is.

Winteriscomingneedmorewood Sat 23-Sep-17 09:37:32

I personally have no social media, nobody at that time knew my surname, my gm had never been discussed with anyone in the group - I only knew one girl from work vaguely and the rest were her friends, she even told me I was involved with a man who had the same nn as my childhood pet's name!! And absolutely nobody knew about him - or the pet for that matter!!

niceupthedance Sat 23-Sep-17 10:08:13

I was at a wellbeing festival with a friend and we walked past a medium doing a demonstration. I said let's stop for a bit. Next thing, the woman is going into my friends family history, names of her grandparents, describing a piece of jewellery that was given to her and so on. My friend didn't claim the information as she didn't want to take part, but every thing she said was spot on, and no one else claimed the info.

My mum also went to a medium after her mum died. In the morning of the visit there was a clacking sound in the kitchen like two spoons clicking together; my mum was pulling the fridge out and looking under the sink etc, no explanation. When she got to her appointment, the woman said did you hear two spoons clicking together in your kitchen this morning? That was your mum's way of letting you know this is her.

I have had many more accurate experiences which can't be put down to cold reading. I think it's something to do with energy fields we don't know about yet.

trueornot Sat 23-Sep-17 10:20:48

niceupthedance, really interesting! I am curious about the possibility of it having to do with energy or something to do with the consciousness being able to survive death (and I don't mean this in a heaven afterlife way) Perhaps one-day quantum physics will have an explanation for it.

BertrandRussell Sat 23-Sep-17 10:30:48

trueornot- if you ware, as you say, a sceptic who had done a scrap of research, you would not have to ask that question. It seems to me that this thread is yet another example of confirmation bias in action.

trueornot Sat 23-Sep-17 10:37:07

Bert: It seems to me that instead of kindly providing research to back up what you said about her work not being reputable you instead took aim at me. I was actually curious about what information you had as from what I have read, it seems her research is more than double-blinded and follows the scientific method. I am very happy to read any information provided and to view that information with an open mind. I am specifically, very curious about reading anything that has to do with research looking into the possibility of the survival of consciousness.

Needalifeoverhaul Sat 23-Sep-17 10:38:13

That makes perfect sense True Would you want to have a proper consultation with the psychic at some point or was this one experience enough to make you feel connected enough? There will always be sceptics about but until something like this happens to them I think it is very hard to get your ahead around. We are taught to think in a very logical way and anything that defies a logical explanation is dismissed immediately as being untrue. I don't think it matters though what others believe...as long as you know it to be true ans sometimes looking too deeply for a logical explanation is not needed. I must admit to finding this thread really interesting.

HeavenlyEyes Sat 23-Sep-17 10:39:58

I am a sceptic - and I have had a couple of readings in the past. One not great - but the other just astounding. She knew only my first name - nothing else. She gave me names of late relatives, my ex, even people I work with. Timings too. I have no explanation as to how she did it and even now I cannot believe the accuracy of what I was told. Even thoughlogically and rationally I know it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever - it is utterly ludicrous that someone who you never met before could tell you such things.

trueornot Sat 23-Sep-17 10:47:55

Needalifeoverhaul: At this point, I feel like the short reading I had is enough. I agree that this hard to rationalise because it goes against logic and what I know to be true of this world. That being said, there is still so much about this world that we have yet to discover and I am really fascinated by studies that are looking at this. I have never given much thought to anything spiritual before, I remain sceptical but curious and not as closed minded as I was before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now