Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Who to have as a witness?

(7 Posts)
InflagranteDelicto Sat 23-Sep-17 00:25:52

I clueless at this stuff. Don't know what etiquette demands, or what to do. Need a witness when we get married. Dp's brother is his choice. Me not a clue. Do I choose

A. My dad
B. Friend for the last 10 years, no longer live nearby but she someone special to me
C. Newer friend, very local, and I suspect will be leaned on for support a fair bit over the next few months
D. Older friend- think 30+ years older- know her through church, but not as close.

Help!

KeepServingTheDrinks Sat 23-Sep-17 00:47:06

I chose as my witness someone I was happy to think our names would both be on a legal document for a long, long time.

So, for me, it's B or D.

But your wedding, your choice.

KinKinCat Sat 23-Sep-17 06:39:50

Your dad's name will be on your marriage certificate already so if I were you I'd choose B.

You can have up to four witnesses sign the register. I'm going to ask my mum and my twin sister to sign on my side.

ForalltheSaints Sat 23-Sep-17 07:24:43

I'd choose your dad.

ClaraLane Sat 23-Sep-17 07:25:48

We had both our mums because otherwise their names wouldn’t be on the marriage certificate.

kuniloofdooksa Sat 23-Sep-17 07:31:00

Standard choices are either to use the best man and chief bridesmaid, or the two mums of the couple (are mothers' names still not on marriage certificates? I know there has been a campaign about this)

Florence16 Sat 23-Sep-17 07:53:57

We used best msn and maid of honour. Maid of honour was out of my life within a couple of months, but it makes no odds to us tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now