Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Online reviews... argh!

(16 Posts)
Maplessglobe Fri 22-Sep-17 22:10:35

I use online reviews a lot. They inform a lot of my buying decisions.

I don't post many myself, due to time, more than anything, but (i think like most reviewers) if something is truly brilliant or completely terrible I feel more inclined to write a review.

If I have bought something on the basis of pages of five star reviews, and it turns out to be horrid, that's when I try to warn others.

But lately I've been finding that any negative reviews seem to disappear into the ether. Jo Malone sickly almond and macaroon candle, I'm looking at you

Or if I feel so misled by a book's 987 five star reviews all written on the same weekend that I write an apologetic opposite view, I immediately get 987 unhelpful votes.

Do I just give up trusting any reviews online?

I'll be asking you lot a lot more if so.

Foniks Fri 22-Sep-17 23:12:47

For the reasons you've given, i like to get reviews from other sites like random forums similar to this, blogs, YouTubers with not many subscribers (more subscribers often means they're sponsored so will sometimes give biased reviews) if it's an expensive item I check everywhere!!

Slimthistime Fri 22-Sep-17 23:26:55

Those books with the 987 great reviews written over the weekend? Take it from someone who used to go to a lot of book parties...many were written after the well attended book party. Some authors follow up the same night with "thanks for coming, it would be great if you could get a review up ASAP".

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 22-Sep-17 23:41:43

I tried several times to write a poor review on a shit TShirt (Superdry)

Funnily enough the only reviews were 5* for other items, this particular one had no reviews but wouldn't accept mine hmm

ZerbaPadnaTigre Fri 22-Sep-17 23:57:48

I wrote a poor review for an online course provider on Trustpilot. Even though I'd put loads of detail in and my first name plus surname initial were attached to it, almost immediately after I posted it, the company reported it saying that they couldn't prove I was a genuine customer.

Trustpilot removed the review and I had to send them screenshots including loads of specific details like my name, the date and a reference number to prove I was genuine. I did because the company had really pissed me off but how many people just don't bother?

I know it's only fair that companies can challenge malicious reviews but I had no idea some sites were set up so that companies can instantly make poor reviews invisible by lying about them being malicious. I trust online reviews a lot less now.

AllToadsLeadToHome Sat 23-Sep-17 00:03:48

Trip Advisor edit bits out.

AO won't accept a bad review - it will say that there is already a review by this username when you try to submit.

St. Ives wouldn't accept a bad review and all the others on the site Were Typed Like This So It was Clear Who Had Written Them.

Maplessglobe Sat 23-Sep-17 09:06:39

Hmmm so basically trust no one.

I feel kind of drawn to places that allow terrible or even so-so reviews e.g. on marks and spencer because at least I know there's some honesty involved.

Izzabellasasperella Sat 23-Sep-17 09:47:50

Dh believes that most of the glowing reviews are actually written by the factory workers who made the product!smile

5rivers7hills Sat 23-Sep-17 10:54:19

What about amazon reviews? You get skewed results when they send out free products in return for a review but you can generally spot this (photos, loads of detail, very Sammy)

Maplessglobe Sat 23-Sep-17 20:13:14

5rivers yes except it's not always obvious. See gushing book reviews as favours...

PolkadottyRose Sat 23-Sep-17 20:15:35

I left an extremely bad, but honest review on Tripadvisor. They didn't edit out the bad bits. However the restaurant owner did reply with a pack of lies which TripAdvisor refused to remove.

plentyofshoes Sat 23-Sep-17 20:20:59

I submitted a bad review on TripAdvisor for a hotel this year. It still remains there although the reply from the manager basically called me a liar.

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Sat 23-Sep-17 20:24:05

One word reviews wind me up - why even bother if you're just going to write 'great'? I like reviews like this one

ReviewTime Sat 23-Sep-17 20:35:52

I tried to review a Hush item. They emailed me saying I must have a faulty one. I asked for a replacement. They couldn't send it until months later.... but wouldn't accept my review for the original.

Theresnonamesleft Sat 23-Sep-17 20:56:51

Some amazon sellers refund for a bad review then send an email to delete the bad review.
Had this a few times, I email back thanking them for the refund but my review stands.
Depending on how much they harass me I will edit to say the seller has since refunded me.

Maplessglobe Sat 23-Sep-17 21:25:30

review that's a bit depressing. I remember seeing lots of terrible reviews for a cardi I bought from hush- I bought it anyway as I knew how to deal with the issue. Shame if they're not publishing poor ones any more.

theres that hasn't happened to me before. Kind of annoying, I'm sure lots of people would.

plenty and pelvic yes I've had that on tripadvisor before; the owner claiming I never stayed somewhere hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now