We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why did hats fall out of fashion?

(35 Posts)
tenpencemixup Fri 22-Sep-17 20:32:38

I'm watching hercule poirot on its encore. And everyone is wearing a hat. Men and women. Some amazing examples. When and why did people stop wearing them as an essential everyday item of clothing. I mean I know people wear sun hats on holiday etc or warm hats in winter but we don't put a hat on to walk to work or for the school run!

Was it the war? Rationing? Did people not wash their hair as often so it helped cover them up? I love hats love an occasion to wear one. I'm probably one of those people despised over on fashion and beauty as they regularly advise posters that hats and other head gear are out of fashion at weddings.

Sixgeese Fri 22-Sep-17 20:45:17

I will probably be in the minority but I wear a hat all winter, I find I get too cold without one and I don't have to worry about bad hair days on the school run.

TeenTimesTwo Fri 22-Sep-17 20:46:08

Well, after WWII by DFIL said he was never wearing a hat again, so maybe that had something to do with it?

And maybe heating in cars?

My DGM on the other hand, always wore a hat and gloves for going out pretty much right until she died age 100.

tenpencemixup Fri 22-Sep-17 20:50:58

Sixgeese, me too! I have lots of winter hats. Mostly knitted, but I'd love a cloche hat as an alternative and more structured style.

ReinettePompadour Fri 22-Sep-17 20:51:09

Hair styles probably had something to do with it.

My grandmother used to have her 'hat haircut' where it was smooth over the top of the head and curly around the edges. When she put her hat on it fit perfectly with curls around the edge.

By my mothers generation they had pixie cuts and trendy styles they didn't want ruined by a hat.

I do wear hats myself, I have a collection of flat caps that I love to wear. But I can only wear them when my hair is styled in a particular way.

tenpencemixup Fri 22-Sep-17 20:54:09

Heating in cars, and trains I expect, is a good point. Although that wouldn't account for the summer styles worn.

Getting your hair 'set' once a week was a thing wasn't it? A hat would protect the style.

Ttbb Fri 22-Sep-17 20:57:53

I feel you. I am very much pro hat. Cannot go ott during summer without one-the British sun is too strong for me. The only reason that I do not always wear one is the wind. It is so bloody windy wear I live that I cannot stand constantly grasping at them and hat pins just don't work for me unless my hair is long and very firmly up-which it rarely is.

GlitterGlue Fri 22-Sep-17 20:58:09

I'd quite like hats to come back in. I wear one all winter, but I'd like something rather more glam than a woollen beret or bobble hat.

tenpencemixup Fri 22-Sep-17 20:58:30

Lack of heating in cars, and on trains I expect, is a good point. Although that wouldn't account for the summer styles that were worn.

Getting your hair set once a week was a thing. Having a hat to protect it when your outside was probably a good idea.

Ttbb Fri 22-Sep-17 20:58:54

I am a hard at weddings kind of person though. I was recently at a wedding where only about four women were in possession of a hat (I was the only under fifty). I was much surprised.

tenpencemixup Fri 22-Sep-17 21:01:28

Sorry about duplicate posts, it froze as I posted.
Yes ttbb, I'm pale skinned too and like a hat to shade in the sun, even the British summer.

FloControl Fri 22-Sep-17 21:13:44

There's a regular in the pub I'm now sitting in who always wears a hat, whatever the weather. He's usually dressed in a three-piece suit and shiny two-tone shoes. It's almost an Al Capone look. His hat never comes off, even indoors. I don't know if it's a trilby, fedora or pork-pie. He manages to carry off this particular look anyway.

Balfe Fri 22-Sep-17 21:16:54

I would dearly love to wear a hat, coat and gloves when going out. I like to imagine I'd look like Keira Knightley in Atonement or one of the Call the Midwife midwifes.

(imagine is the key word!)

CoveredInFondant Fri 22-Sep-17 21:20:11

I adore hats. But the dh laughs at some of them. If I had my way. I'd dress very Edwardian. Hats galore

thathappened Fri 22-Sep-17 21:20:17

I'd love to wear a hat but in the winter it's not often cold enough for wolly hats and in the summer a straw brimmed hat needs taking off as it often looks out of place or gets in the way.

MipMipMip Fri 22-Sep-17 21:22:26

Hmmm, hard to wear a hat and drive as you sir back. As a woman I would have to take it off which would either mean hat pins or hat hair. Neither good! So in a car I would avoid a hat .

I do have some nice hats which I live wearing but I feel I have to dress up for them a bit - they just don't go with jeans and trainers. And I don't do smart!

woodhill Fri 22-Sep-17 21:23:59

Did people go to church more wearing hats plus lack of indoor plumbing to wash hair etc

Hats were never rationed in WW2 apparently

specialsubject Fri 22-Sep-17 21:33:50

I recall that they went out for american men when JFK didn't wear one for his inauguration.

Very glad the ghastly pointless female fashion hat has long gone. Hats are for weather protection, stupid frilly jobs that you have to endlessly manage have no place in modern life. Clothes that you cant ignore are fit only for the bonfire.

specialsubject Fri 22-Sep-17 21:35:37

Oops - strike that, it is on snopes. JFK didn't kill hats, american men were already recognising a silly garment

eddiemairswife Fri 22-Sep-17 21:46:17

My mother and aunts loved hats, and it wasn't until the 1980s that they would occasionally go hatless. It was nothing to do with frequency of hair-washing; it was part of looking smart and well turned out.

TroysMammy Fri 22-Sep-17 21:48:30

In the 60's/70's a lot of women wore headscarves.

Escapepeas Fri 22-Sep-17 21:52:42

I wear a hat in winter to stop my hair being wrecked by damp/rain when I walk to the train station. I have a few different ones from berets to trilbys and I love them. I've often had random people compliment me on them too.

FloControl Fri 22-Sep-17 21:56:04

The only hat I wear is a baseball cap and it's purely to keep my bonce dry in inclement weather. Nothing else and for no other reason. I always take it off when I'm indoors (unlike the two oiks in here tonight, one of whom has his on back to front - silly boy) and raise the peak when I pass or meet a female of my acquaintance.

I'll shut up now. God, I'm wittering on like an etiquette charlatan.

Zoloh Fri 22-Sep-17 21:59:23

I love hats. Bring back hats!

MyDobbygotgivenasock Fri 22-Sep-17 22:06:09

I love a hat, I crochet and have a collection (currently in packing boxes, I only left myself one, silly), cloche hats, newsboys, slouchies, Sun hats, all sorts. I do look a twat in a hat but don't care and lots of people, oddly, have liked my hats and asked me where I got them and as soon as I say I made it the hats are suddenly a bit crap and 'old'. As yet none of this has dampened my hat love but a bigger or more structured piece of proper millinery would be a bit labour intensive for my day to day life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now