Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Where to buy a website name from? How to host a website?

(17 Posts)
OceanWaving Fri 22-Sep-17 18:04:36

I am a complete novice and looking to start a website for information. The names I want don't exist as .com page or .co.uk which is good.

How do I go about securing the webname/buying it from someone? Also any suggestions for serverscompanies that you can build your website with?

RoganJosh Fri 22-Sep-17 18:06:01

I buy domains and hosting through vidahost.

RoganJosh Fri 22-Sep-17 18:07:18

Or depending on my mood I check for availability through www.123-reg.co.uk/

OceanWaving Fri 22-Sep-17 18:12:46

Thanks will have a look. The names I am thinking of come up as "server not found" and one came up with a seller site for $1995! Not what I was thinking! What is a normal kind of price to pay for something? I know that's a how long is a piece of strong question?

humblesims Fri 22-Sep-17 18:14:10

I find 123reg pretty good.

RhythmNBooze Fri 22-Sep-17 18:35:15

I use one.com

silkpyjamasallday Fri 22-Sep-17 18:44:12

I've used go daddy in the past and they have been great

HerBigChance Fri 22-Sep-17 18:50:52

1and1 are good, have used them for domains for years. You can use a WordPress site and map the domain to it.

orlantina Fri 22-Sep-17 18:58:32

123 reg are very good.

You can buy your name from them and they can host a website as well. I've used them for 10 years. (I have 5 websites at the moment. As you do)

orlantina Fri 22-Sep-17 18:59:59

What is a normal kind of price to pay for something

£5 to £20 to buy the name for the year. Depending on the suffix.

Hosting a single site is very cheap.

austenozzy Fri 22-Sep-17 19:06:09

1&1 aren't all that. I use 123-reg for domains but not hosting. Best hosting I've used in recent years is siteground but quite a margin. I'm moving all my customers across over time. (Web developer)

EllieMentry Fri 22-Sep-17 19:20:38

I use Go Daddy for domains and Tsohost for hosting.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Fri 22-Sep-17 19:23:37

I've always used GoDaddy to buy my domains.

If you want to know if your chosen domain is available, don't just put it into your address bar - search it via a domain selling company and they'll give you a true value.

Beefgoulasch Fri 22-Sep-17 19:29:13

I got my .com and .co.uk domain names and built my own basic website using Create.net.

There are different packages to choose depending on your needs. Mine is approx £6 per month to run. My domain names cost about £15 each.

Quite easy to use once you get into it. You also get email addresses related to your domain name...i can have up to five on my package. You can also add a shopping cart etc. I don't currently have one as my page is more of a landing page to direct cutomers to my ebay and etsy shops. You can get a free trial.

www.create.net

Beefgoulasch Fri 22-Sep-17 19:30:28

I meant to say, I bought my domain names from Create.net and also use them to host my website.

manglethedangle Fri 22-Sep-17 19:36:21

We use go daddy. Also, if you want a particular name, it's worth buying both the co.uk and.com version, to prevent a competitor buying it. You don't need 2 websites, just have one do an auto redirect to the other.

OceanWaving Sat 23-Sep-17 10:59:35

Thanks all, I'm still a little confused but I will go and have a read. I won't be selling anything, or havnig huge amounts of data, it's more of a resource website I want to set up to direct people and list research kind of thing. So even though £6 per month sounds cheap, I have nothing to finance it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now