Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is this Lactose intolerance? IBS? So embarrassed

(9 Posts)
riskmatrix Fri 22-Sep-17 14:30:33

So, for years now I've had what I think is IBS. I can go along fine for ages then something with trigger me off and I'll have uncontrollable. appalling diarrhea.

It's happened when I've eaten out, on holiday and sometimes whilst I'm at home. I can never exactly put my finger on what causes it but its generally rich food or a large meal. I'll get stomach cramps within 30 minutes of eating and I literally get 10 seconds to get to the loo or the stool just pours out. I simply cannot control it.

Luckily Ive never had any majorly embarrassing episodes until today, I'm in work and 30 minutes after eating my lunch of lettuce, cucumber, full fat feta cheese and some mayo I got the unmistakable sensation then boom, you can imagine the rest.

I always carry spare underwear and am wearing black jeans so was able to sort myself out mostly and have some body spray to mask the whiff. I finish at 3 so will be able to leave very soon so I'm ok but I cant carry on like this. I may go weeks between episodes but if im on holiday and am eating large meals or rich / fatty foods I need the loo within 30 minutes of every meal and can often visit the loo 4 or 5 times afterwards until everything has cleared away.

Today though, I'm beginning to wonder if its the lactose in the cheese? I drank a large cup of tea at the same time. Also, I low carbed for a while and my tummy was brilliant, not one episode of diarrhea or any wind at all. The transition onto high fat / low carb would always give me an explosive event though so it may be fats?

Any ideas? IBS seems so different for everyone Im struggling to know which foods to avoid.

ChipShopGherkin Fri 22-Sep-17 14:36:32

Have you seen a doctor?

They'll be able to run tests to see if you have intolerances ect and advise you better than random people on here.

indyandlara Fri 22-Sep-17 14:38:02

It may be but please don't self diagnose IBS. It's really a last stage diagnosis once everything else has been ruled out. My mum did this but actually had bowel cancer. Have you been tested for Coeliac Disease?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 22-Sep-17 14:38:03

IBS is a blanket term. I was diagosed with Ulcerative Colitis then Diverticulitis.
For me wheat (bread/bread products) and cows milk is the worst trigger , main culprit cheddar.

Feta is ok for me , I try to buy the sheep milk rather than goat purely for my own taste.

I was eurgh starting on soyamilk but it really does grow on you and now I'll pick black coffee over cow milk coffee if there's no soya

You really need to get your GP to refer you, they may well start with 'samples' to analyse .

I cannot do low carb/high fat (no gallbladder) and I'm a non drinking , vegetarian.

Ponders how rock star my life is. Answer , not at all.

riskmatrix Fri 22-Sep-17 14:38:41

No, Ive never seen a GP about it, I always think unless you are displaying symptoms of an issue at the time its a waste of time going. Will they really be bothered in running allergy tests? I would have though Id have to pay privately.

NightmareMonkey Fri 22-Sep-17 14:41:40

Ehh you need to go to the doc. Keep a food diary, monitor what you eat & how it affects you, change it up accordingly to see if there is any improvement or deterioration

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 22-Sep-17 14:43:07

Ask to have the bowel screening done first (the sample)
Then they will most likely send you for a colonoscopy (its not that bad , I've had 2)

The only way to know for sure is to check.

Then its a question of finding out what aggrevates your insides usually by trial and error. Elimination and re-introduction.

MrsZB Fri 22-Sep-17 14:48:13

Hi OP, I have a similar things and it's horrible isn't it. Mine seems to mostly be brought on by stress/anxiety - I haven't ever been able to loin point it to a particular food.

Yours sounds very sudden though, I do get a bit of warning with mine.

I don't have any advice unfortunately just wanted to say that you aren't alone.

MrsZB Fri 22-Sep-17 14:49:04

Loin = pin point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now