Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Dresses & tights

(27 Posts)
Findingthisdifficult1234 Fri 22-Sep-17 14:06:07

Just looking at some new dresses to buy for winter- my question is- if you wear dresses with say black tights, what shoes do you wear with this in winter? If it's cold/rainy.
Been looking at ankle boots but not sure they would go with tights! Is the only thing that looks right with tights knee high boots and dolly shoes?

Auburn2001 Fri 22-Sep-17 14:15:25

I think it would depend on the height and shape of the ankle boot. I have worn above-the-knee tube skirts with shoe boots and ankle boots and it looks fine. But I can't do any other shape of skirt, or long skirts, with ankle boots as I'm short and would look frumpy.
Leggings and socks would be fine to wear with skirts and ankle boots too but I wouldn't be able to get away with a flash of sock above the boot!

Whitney168 Fri 22-Sep-17 14:17:07

I have just bought these in grey at the reduced price, and love them - great shape with jeans or with dresses and opaques.

www.hush-uk.com/footwear_2/footwear/boots/thornton_ankle_boots.htm

I think I may need them in black too ...

Auburn2001 Fri 22-Sep-17 14:19:52

Nice boots Whitney168! And in the photo they are worn with a skirt. A high denier pair of opaques would be fine in the winter.

MarklahMarklah Fri 22-Sep-17 14:21:08

I was out with a friend today and we were both wearing dresses - hers was a classic 'boxy' shape which she'd cinched in at the waist, whilst mine was an empire line shape. Both of us were wearing leggings and boots. Mine are to the knee, similar to this and hers were ankle boots similar to these

Both worked well, I thought as there was a little space between knee and boot.

cakesonatrain Fri 22-Sep-17 14:21:14

Yes I've seen quite a few women at work Ruth dresses and ankle boots. They look cute. I plan to get some.

cakesonatrain Fri 22-Sep-17 14:21:47

Ruth? Who the hell is Ruth??
The word is "with".

chipsandpeas Fri 22-Sep-17 14:21:48

I wear ankle boots and tights

Dowser Fri 22-Sep-17 14:28:02

I don't always want to wear black tights with dresses so I've ordered some 100 denier beige from eBay but they come in all colours.
Yes wear with boots

MsHippo Fri 22-Sep-17 15:05:40

I wear Chelsea boots with dresses and tights, but generally the dresses have to be above the knee or it looks a bit bizzare I find.

Glitteryfrog Fri 22-Sep-17 15:28:09

I'm heading out now wearing navy tights and tan Chelsea boots.
I think high heeled knee high boots look a bit dated.

FinallyHere Fri 22-Sep-17 16:05:47

Bless you Glitteryfrog

I think high heeled knee high boots look a bit dated.

Hurrah, I was hoping that was the case but an ridiculously please to read that someone else things so. My legs aren't really long enough for knee high boots...

hiccupgirl Fri 22-Sep-17 16:10:48

I wear ankle boots and opaque tights with knee length dresses. The ankle boots have to be quite low on your foot I think. Def not mid height boots.

I can't do knee high boots or longer skirts due to being short and stumpy.

Schmoopy Fri 22-Sep-17 16:15:54

Docs.

Classic 8 holes or the less 'docs' looking ones.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 22-Sep-17 16:19:01

I tend to wear knee high boots or heeled shoes (always with a mary jane style bar to keep my foot in my shoe). I haven't braved ankle boots with shorter skirts/ dresses as I fear my combination of ridiculously short* wide feet, short legs and muscular calves would create a look that's more clumpy than sophisticated.

*as in my 6 yo has a classmate of the same size!

PricklyCacti Fri 22-Sep-17 16:19:52

Dr Martens 'Flora' Chelsea boots. I have them in black and cherry red and live in them over autumn/winter!

TonicAndTonic Fri 22-Sep-17 16:24:46

I wear dresses, black tights and ankle boots all winter at work! Had a few positive comments so assuming it looks OK.
I'm a bit short to look good in knee high boots, but I also have a pair of black mid-calf biker-type boots which I also wear with dresses/black tights. With them I tend to go for a big chunky cardigan over the dress.

Schmoopy Fri 22-Sep-17 16:29:22

That's similar to my look too, Tonic.

Glitteryfrog Fri 22-Sep-17 16:34:54

Dr Martens 'Flora' Chelsea boots. I have them in black and cherry red and live in them over autumn/winter!

I love these, but my feet are too narrow. sad

TheDodgyShoesOfDrFoster Fri 22-Sep-17 16:35:28

Beautiful tall boots.

I personally don't think ankle boots are at all flattering worn with a skirt/ dress. Unless your legs are madly long and skinny, they just make you look dumpy. Whereas knee-high boots will make any leg look streamlined and elegant.

So happy we're moving into the autumn/ winter seasons. I loathe fugly summer clothes .

BobbinThreadbare123 Fri 22-Sep-17 16:39:27

Clarks chelsea boots, or some DMs. Classic with tights and a dress!

NoodleNinja Fri 22-Sep-17 16:42:32

I think knee high boots are too dated too. Definitely prefer ankle boots with tights.

goes off to buy more boots

Oblomov17 Fri 22-Sep-17 17:17:05

I don't think knee high boots will ever be dated.

NeonFlower Fri 22-Sep-17 17:41:11

Doc Marten Mary Janes, grey ankle boots or knee high brown boots.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Fri 22-Sep-17 17:52:51

How about mid-calf length boots as a compromise?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now