Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Dinner party menu help please?

(23 Posts)
WhyamIBoredathome Fri 22-Sep-17 12:40:28

Hello all, I'm hoping some wise people can give me ideas.
We are having 8 people to dinner (so cooking for 10 including Oh and I).
I need ideas for a main course that is super quick to prepare as for various reasons I will only have a couple of hours to prep before guests arrive. This is slightly complicated by having 3 vegetarians among the guests, so it either has be be a veggie meal that will be enjoyed by confirmed carnivores, or I need two different dishes. I have a slow cooker so can stick something in earlier in the day if needed.

Any bright ideas anyone?

HeyMacWey Fri 22-Sep-17 12:42:37

Then it into a curry night then you can make a Veggie and meat option the day before and just reheat?

WhyamIBoredathome Fri 22-Sep-17 12:45:05

Ah sorry, I should have said that I wanted to do something a bit different to curry/ chilli/lasagne as I've done those before.

JustHappy3 Fri 22-Sep-17 13:09:27

Chicken breast each. In a big baking tray. Wrap each one in parma ham. Put grated cheese on top and a basil leaf. Pour in white wine. (Chill in fridge overnight)
New potatoes - coat in olive oil and bake in oven.
Whole lot goes in and out at same time.
Add cream to chicken/winey sauce and put in sauce jug.
Add easy cook veg.

Not sure about the veggies tho

onlyslightlyinterested Fri 22-Sep-17 13:24:19

I cooked for 8 a few weeks ago. I made chicken tray bake, with chorizo, peppers and tomatoes. I served it with garlic roast potatoes and onion bread. It went down a treat. For pud, I made a strawberry cheesecake. Didn't bother with a starter, just put olives, bread and oil out. Yum

5rivers7hills Fri 22-Sep-17 13:27:22

A Spanish olive white bean and pepper stew (can cook in advance) and then do white fish fillets like cod for the omnis in the oven.

Could do tortilla slices for the veggies (buy really nice ones from Waitrose since you'll be short on time).

I'd serve it with garlic bread.

Quite easy but slightly different?

oldiebutgoodie Fri 22-Sep-17 13:31:35

Your best bet is a veggie main that you could serve with the garlic roasts and onion bread - they sound fab. Take a small tub of Philly, herb and garlic is good, fry about 4 grated courgettes with some rosemary, mix together with two eggs and put into 4 greased ramekins. This can be done ages in advance. Cook in a roasting tin half filled with water for 25 mins. Turns out a bit like a souflee. Also good with red pepper and chilli Philly.

Fatfingeredtrade Fri 22-Sep-17 13:50:12

What about a Thai red or green curry. Can make meat and veggie. Substitute chicken/prawns with sweet potato, asparagus and carrot.

TheViceOfReason Fri 22-Sep-17 14:15:14

What about a Mediterranean tapas type meal? Great for allowing conversation rather than just eating as well?

Pitta
Houmous
olives
Falafel
Kofta
cous cous
halved peppers stuffed with spicy quorn or soy mince
spicy sweetcorn salad (fine diced shallot, sweetcorn, chargrilled peppers in a spicy tomato sauce)

You cna buy most of it in tubs from M&S

WhyamIBoredathome Fri 22-Sep-17 14:17:41

Thanks, I think bread, olives and oil/ balsamic is a good plan for starters.
Pud is going to be a pavolva, I will make the meringue the night before and then only need to add cream and fruit after the main course is finished.
I love a good Thai curry but whenever I make it myself I'm always a bit disappointed in it so I think it's probably a bad idea to make it for guests grin
Chicken in parma ham would be a good idea except that I don't like parma ham and I really really don't like creamy wine sauces. There are very few things I don't like but that happens to be 2 in one dish!

WhyamIBoredathome Fri 22-Sep-17 14:19:25

Thanks vice, I was thinking along those lines myself actually, but stuck for what to include. Your list gives me a good starting point.

HeyMacWey Fri 22-Sep-17 14:46:57

What about something Persian inspired - sabrina ghayhour has a new book out and lots of lovely looking recipes in there.

TheViceOfReason Fri 22-Sep-17 14:52:49

It's my go-to now when people are round - no worries about veg v meat, fussy eaters, dieters - all in bowls in the middle of the table and people can choose what they want.

A very tasty dish is a layer of chopped pitta, topped with sliced chicken and halloumi, covered in a spicy tomato sauce and baked, then drizzled with greek yoghurt when done.

MaxPepsi Fri 22-Sep-17 14:56:03

Pate to start, normal and vegetarian. Serve with melts toast, salad garnish and sticky onion chutney.

Puff pastry veggie and cheese savoury tart/cheese and onion quiche for main. Served with crushed baby potatoes and tenderstem broccoli.

Cheese board for after the Pavlov.

MaxPepsi Fri 22-Sep-17 14:58:42

Bloody auto correct.
* melba
* pavlova

BrieAndChilli Fri 22-Sep-17 15:00:54

Mexican

Chicken strips in fajita spice
veg infajita spice - peppers, onions, mushrooms etc
Wraps
Chilli/veg chilli
Nachos
Guacamole
Sour cream
Salsa
Salad
Potato wedges
Refried beans

BrieAndChilli Fri 22-Sep-17 15:04:04

Or if doing something meaty this would be impressive for veggies (imagine you could pre prepare and the cook later)

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 22-Sep-17 15:07:37

Veggie tagine in the slow cooker (BBC food have a couple of recipes, I like the 5 a day one) served with couscous, fried haloumi and marinated chicken.

abbey44 Fri 22-Sep-17 15:08:02

My sons are vegetarian and when they come home, they always ask for roast vegetable tart, which I've served to non-veggies too (they often don't even realise it's meatless!) and you can prep it the day before.

I chop & roast a selection of veg - aubergines, onions, courgettes, peppers, and carrots, for example - then mix with a tomato sauce & pine nuts (although I did use a can of chopped tomatoes with basil & olive oil once when I was pushed for time and it tasted good too). Then I mix a tub of crime fraiche with some chopped chives and using ready-rolled puff pastry, I make parcels, like a Wellington - first the veg & tomato then a dollop of the crime fraiche & chives mix. Seal the pastry parcel, slash the top, egg wash it and sprinkle with sea salt and pine nuts and bake for about 40 minutes, till the pastry is done.

You can prep right up till the point you put it into the oven and put it in the fridge overnight (or freeze), and thinking about it, I don't suppose there's any reason why you couldn't make it as an open tart with shortcrust pastry either.

It might seem a bit of a faff, but it's easier than it sounds, and because it freezes so well, I often make a few individual sized ones for the freezer when I'm doing it.

Another thought - I know you said you weren't fussed about making a lasagne, but Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall does a fab recipe for butternut squash and fennel lasagne, which is really delicious. It's in the River Cottage Veg Everyday book, but you could google it.

WhyamIBoredathome Fri 22-Sep-17 15:20:47

Pepsi we are a Frenglish household and therefore we have the cheeseboard before the pud. It's the law. Or something hmm

Aftershock15 Fri 22-Sep-17 15:41:03

Another vote for Veggie tagine, and cous cous but I would do lamb kebabs for the meat eaters.

millifiori Fri 22-Sep-17 15:46:27

Middle Eastern food. You can do some lovely jewelled rice with spices, nuts, chopped roast veg and pomegranate seeds. For the meat eaters, do some slow cooked spiced lamb, maybe with apricots and almonds. For the veggies do imam bayildi (sort of stuffed aubergine with spiced beans and cheese. Or do lamb kebabs and halloumi kebabs with peppers, courgettes etc with the jewl rice and a big leafy salad. Dips and flat breads to start. Pavlovas for pud.

wowfudge Fri 22-Sep-17 16:25:11

If you do something with chicken breasts for the meat eaters you can just substitute quorn fillets for the veggies. Stick a couple of jars of drained chargrilled peppers in with passata, tiny capers, onions (cheat and buy the tinned fried ones), some fresh tarragon, parsley or basil added. Cook in separate oven proof dishes. Serve with rice or couscous. Add peas to the rice or couscous as an easy veg and serve with mixed salad leaves or other veg.

If you don't think the veggies will eat the quorn, make a tart with bought puff pastry instead will the passata, peppers, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now