Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

6 weeks with nothing to do - how would you spend it?

(29 Posts)
Caulkheadupnorf Fri 22-Sep-17 12:33:15

No children or partner. I'm about to have surgery and will be off work for 6 weeks, and unable to drive for that long too.

I live alone but will be staying with friends for at least the first three weeks. They'll be working a lot though and although I'll be recovering I still need some ideas of how to pass my time!

I can already knit/crochet/sew but don't have any projects on the go that are portable so need some idea for that, but also anything else.

So, if you had 6 weeks with no plans, what would you do?

FaFoutis Fri 22-Sep-17 12:34:04

I would write a book.

Caulkheadupnorf Fri 22-Sep-17 12:35:25

My boss suggested that, maybe I should.

FaFoutis Fri 22-Sep-17 12:37:04

How about this : nanowrimo.org/

overmydeadbody Fri 22-Sep-17 12:37:54

I would sew some quilts, o never have enough time to make/finish the quilts I make, would love six weeks to focus on this.

I'd also run every morning, but I appreciate you can't do that if recovering from surgery.

Christmas is coming up, you could see/crochet presents?

Gwencooper81 Fri 22-Sep-17 12:37:55

I'd read, watch box sets and learn to crochet.
I asked DH and he'd learn German and watch GOT all over again!
Adult colouring books.
Audio books.
Language learning.
Good luck with your surgery.

Caulkheadupnorf Fri 22-Sep-17 12:38:20

I've heard of that, maybe it's the right time (albeit a month early) to write. Thanks. smile

rebelnotaslave Fri 22-Sep-17 12:38:55

I am 3 weeks into a similar period after surgery. I've done loads of reading, 2 books a week. Caught up on some box sets. I would say depending on your surgery (mine was urogynocology) don't underestimate how tired you will be. Even though I am now able to potter about, drive, I need a nap most afternoons.

rebelnotaslave Fri 22-Sep-17 12:39:32

I've done some free online courses too.

Caulkheadupnorf Fri 22-Sep-17 12:40:11

christmas presents is a good idea. Maybe I should just have 20mins on Pinterest for ideas.

I've never seen GOT, or Star Wars or bond so perhaps it should be a cultural 6 weeks to catch up on films and to too?

NC4now Fri 22-Sep-17 12:40:47

Spa days, or beauty treatments if you are able to (maybe towards the end)
Read, loads.
Box sets.
Christmas shopping online.

Caulkheadupnorf Fri 22-Sep-17 12:41:23

It's ovarian surgery, so can't move massively, and already spent a week in hospital whilst they worked out what it was so I've read a fair amount that was on my to-do list.

Butterymuffin Fri 22-Sep-17 12:42:26

I would have a few things you can do every day so you have a sort of routine. So like:

Write the book - do so long or so many words a day
Watch box sets
Email friends and relatives - use the time to do some catching up on this and getting in touch with people
Knitting and crocheting - not my thing but others can hopefully suggest projects
Drawing or colouring - sketching what's around you or from imagination or those adult colouring books
Watching classic films you've always wanted to see
YouTube videos of very gentle yoga / stretches once you're up to it?
Reading a good newspaper online each day (could be depressing but you'll be well informed..)
Listening to new or favourite old music

PuppyMonkey Fri 22-Sep-17 12:44:08

God, I'm sorry you need surgery OP but I feel quite jealous of you grin

I'd definitely get Netflix.
I'd try and learn how to bake bread/ other cooking stuff.
I'd read loads.
I'd get out in fresh air often as I could.
Can you make it to a cinema?
I'd decorate my downstairs loo. grin

Caulkheadupnorf Fri 22-Sep-17 12:45:46

I can do going out if someone else is with me, for driving etc. Thankfully good public transport here but they've said to avoid that for a fortnight because of the bumps and sudden stops - if I'm in the car I can anticipate the bump or stop better apparently.

paxillin Fri 22-Sep-17 12:52:52

On MN like many of us in reality would, no matter what worthy activity we'd claim grin grin.

Caulkheadupnorf Fri 22-Sep-17 12:53:53

It's because I'd spend it all on MN that I need plans of what to do!!

paxillin Fri 22-Sep-17 12:57:23

Just plan to be on MN then. Tell yourself you MUST write 100 posts a day. That will lead you to procrastinate over it and fill the days with language learning and music instead perhaps?

rebelnotaslave Fri 22-Sep-17 12:57:35

God, I'm sorry you need surgery OP but I feel quite jealous of you @PurpleMonkey - I was so looking forward to the "doing nothing" thing. But at the end of last week I was so bored. I couldn't drive, couldn't walk for more than 10-15 mins. I was stuck in the house essentially and was getting fed up! I think the first week was a great rest, but after 3 it begins to get to you!

Before the surgery I thought I'd be back at work now as I do a sitting job, or at least doing more. If you are having a GA you will be exhausted (and probably constipated) for the first week.

OUlearn have loads of free courses and futurelearn. Makes it slightly more bearable.

CandyMelts Fri 22-Sep-17 12:58:28

I'm on my 3rd week off work and haven't been able to read or watch t.v. while I recover so have got into podcasts. I often fall asleep during them so it sometime takes 3 attempts to get through an episode blush

Often I find something like a doctors appointment, a call from my dad and a nap fill up a lot of my day as I get wiped out, so don't expect too much of yourself

Caulkheadupnorf Fri 22-Sep-17 13:00:24

I was totally sure I could go back to work after 3 weeks but the surgeon yesterday laughed and said at least 6 weeks!

MrsPandaBear Fri 22-Sep-17 13:13:08

Like someone above has said, you may find you are really tired - I'd plan easy stuff like watching dvds for the first week.

I was signed off for a few weeks after being ill. What I found helped once i got over the worst of the tiredness was having something 'productive' to do. In my case, it was printing off photos to fill in DS's baby album, which I did maybe an hour a day gradually increasing to build my stamina. I also did a little bit of paperwork filing. It helped give me a sense of achievement each day that I didn't get from reading and TV, if you don't have any admin to catch up on maybe set yourself something you'd have liked to have done by the end of your time off?

Caulkheadupnorf Fri 22-Sep-17 13:25:06

The productiveness makes sense.

I hadn't really anticipated tiredness. I haven't had a GA before and assumed I would be fine (but sore) within a couple of days

thesandwich Fri 22-Sep-17 13:28:02

What about trying audible audio books? Free trial? Radio 4 podcasts are great too. But do expect to be shattered.

rebelnotaslave Fri 22-Sep-17 13:32:03

I didn't either! But your body is healing, and that in itself can be exhausting. I've also been listening to podcasts and audible.

At the moment I try and break up my day- bit of TV, bit of reading, bit of baking/online course/something productive, and a nap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now