Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Six year old boy - poor concentration, silly voices, jumping up and down.

(27 Posts)
Iceland22 Fri 22-Sep-17 08:17:55

Hi,
This us my first child so I don't know what's normal.
At the activities we go to my sons behaviour is different to those around him. He can't seem to listen and take instructions. He jumps up and down and flaps his arms and pretends to fall over.
He has been going to sports training for a year now but still hasn't 'got' the rules and can't play in a match. He's doing OK in school though. Is this normal behavior? His peers seem able to concentrate and act on instructions.
Thank you.

flumpybear Fri 22-Sep-17 08:21:25

My 5 year old DS is like that too but he eventually falls in line and does what told at rugby and swimming - takes a bit of one though
I asked his teacher whom I know well as she's taught my DD too and she said he's just a very boisterous boy and not to worry she didn't think it was anything other than that, nothing else flagging up to her as a worry. I'd say ask his teacher for his or her opinion

littletwofeet Fri 22-Sep-17 08:38:16

Is the activity something he is really interested in and wants to do or he is not that fussed?
If he's desperate to play in a match/join in but can't get the rules/isn't able to listen then it could be indicative of a problem. If he's not really keen on the activity though and just goes because you take him then it sounds like he's possibly bored/doesn't like it, especially if it's just at the activities he behaves like that.

A lot of children do grow out of similar behaviours.

What's he like at home in terms of listening/following instructions?

Iceland22 Fri 22-Sep-17 09:01:31

He's OK at home but isn't have any terms of reference. He gets 9/10 in spelling and us good at maths.
He likes one activity more than the other but behaves the same in both.
He can't stand in line and wait his turn without jumping up and down for example.
While the coach us talking he will do pretend aeroplane arms while the other boys stand and listen.

littletwofeet Fri 22-Sep-17 09:15:51

Is he upset that he can't play in the match because he doesn't get the rules?

Is it just at these activities he's like that? If you are out shopping for example and in a queue is he able to wait nicely or he is all over the place/jumping up and down/aeroplane arms?

If you go out for something to eat, can he sit at the table nicely or he is moving about on the chair/trying to get up and down from the table,etc?

At the activities, have you tried telling him before hand that he needs to stay still in line/listen to the coach? You can ask the coach to put him at the start/end of the line, sometimes that can help. Would a fidget toy help so he's got something to fiddle with, may help him to concentrate/listen.

Adviceplease360 Fri 22-Sep-17 09:19:26

My son is exactly the same, can't sit or stand still. Even while watching tv he will fidget, spin around, jump, roll over. Hopeful they'll grow out of it?

zzzzz Fri 22-Sep-17 09:21:18

He sounds absolutely lovely. I wouldn't be worried I'd revelgrin

Iceland22 Fri 22-Sep-17 09:46:01

@littletwofeet at home he gets excited watching TV and will jump up and down if something exciting comes on. He can sit through a movie at the cinema no problem though. He's well behaved at mealtimes mostly but at times will be up and down but this seems more like boredom.

I thought he would grow out of it but it gets better then worse.

At karate he will concentrate on keeping still so much he forgets to listen to the teacher at times.

We are not a sporty or competitive family so I thought it may be this at one point.

Another thing I've just remembered is that he will need to be told to walk properly at times as he jumps and skips. He never seems to just naturally walk next to me.

I think I've ignored it for a long time as I thought he would grow out if it.

FuckingBUTTERbeans Fri 22-Sep-17 10:20:30

Your DS sounds just like my DD, who has mild ADHD. The diagnosis hasn't really changed much for us, although she does get support in school, but she did before the diagnosis, and it doesn't sound like your DS has a problem in school. What I'm trying to say is even if it were ADHD it sounds like it's very mild, and even if it were diagnosed I'm not sure there would be much that could be done with the diagnosis. I've accepted it's just how DD is. There were a lot of meetings and tests and she knew they were trying to find out what was "wrong" with her sad I wish we'd not done it, to be honest. Your boy sounds like a lovely, fun chap smile

Youremywifenow Fri 22-Sep-17 10:42:14

I've got a 6 year old who does this - bounces and skips rather than walks, throws himself at sofas and walls for the bounce back, jumps up and down at something exciting etc. Not all the time though, he can sit still.

He describes it as 'feeling bouncy'.

If he can keep still in some circumstances then I think it's just a sign that he needs to burn off some energy. Some kids are just fidgets.

2014newme Fri 22-Sep-17 10:43:28

Could he have Asd as flapping is one of the signs

Beardedandbalded Fri 22-Sep-17 10:47:03

I have twin boys aged 6. They are exactly as you describe. They're a lot like oversized puppies, and weren't made to sit in line nicely etc. I prescribe less rules and more runnin'!

cheesetoast Fri 22-Sep-17 10:50:29

He sounds completely normal to me!

Observe him for extended periods with other children of the same age, if he is not dissimilar then don't sweat it. It is completely understandable and normal to worry about your kids, but being bouncy can be fairly standard. My six year old girl cannot stay still, she does circuits jumping off the furniture (I know, I know) and will play for hours with her toys making funny voices/characters.

cheesetoast Fri 22-Sep-17 10:53:08

Aeroplane? My girl pretends to be a vampire bat.

Can't stand in line, concentrate, or zones in and doesn't listen to instructions? Ask a teacher, that's most kids!

Evelynismyspyname Fri 22-Sep-17 10:55:47

Flapping isn't aeroplane arms though, they are quite different things.

Walking along soberly comes with age, when you lose the pure joy of simply existing that skipping and jumping along like a spring lamb implies...

Is it upsetting him? Does he wish he could keep still and listen and feel he's different in a negative way to the others?

I'd be a little worried if he actually can't concentrate on what the coach is saying and can't stand in a queue, but would not be worried about the not "just walking along" and needing to skip and jump. I have 3 kids, youngest is 6.5.

cheesetoast Fri 22-Sep-17 10:57:57

How old is your child? You have got mealtimes nailed?!? you are doing marvellously.

And sports? We did 2 years of rugby and my lad would run around trying to talk to the other boys about Pokemon rather than play the game. He had no idea what was going on in the match, he didn't care. But he was having fun!

I think if you asked the other parents if their kids were rule abiding and calm all the time they would laugh.

cheesetoast Fri 22-Sep-17 11:06:24

When my girl stops running around the house making silly voices, pretending to be a bat/dragon/mole, and when she stops skipping rather than walking, I will be a sad.

Look for the joy in this immaturity, it is lovely.

bigfatbumfreak Fri 22-Sep-17 11:09:17

I'd say your son is a normal child, who does not yet fit into the pathetic mini adult world that school imposes.

insomniac123 Fri 22-Sep-17 11:28:38

Sounds perfectly normal to me! All of mine have been full of beans and I recommend lists of fresh air, running around, bouncing on trampolines, tree climbing, biking etc. Wear him out with fun stuff. If he’s sitting for a meal and sitting in the cinema he’s doing great.
Try not to worry so much. Enjoy his energy.

retainertrainer Fri 22-Sep-17 12:06:38

He sounds like my 8 year old, he's slightly bonkers! I wouldn't worry.

paddlingwhenIshouldbeworking Fri 22-Sep-17 12:19:01

Like PP I would think about how he behaves in different situations. If he can generally now sit for a meal in a restaurant, sit on a bus/plane, queue in a shop and if the teacher is happy his focus is within normal levels at school, I would think he's a bit bored and hasn't switched onto those sports yet (and he might never). I have 4 children and there's a big difference between those who love sport from an early age and those who tolerate it.

chocolateisnecessary Fri 22-Sep-17 13:25:09

Maybe get him a wobble cushion to sit on for eating, a bilibo for in the lounge etc.
Mine is 5 and in year one and just the same.
Just try and get in as much free play and active stuff as you can and try not to worry.

SnowiestMountain Fri 22-Sep-17 13:40:07

DS (6) is like this, absolute angel at school, wouldn't dare move out of line and gets fantastic reports, popular etc etc, same at groups but at home, good grief, running, shouting, shrieking, silly noises, throwing himself about. He does it a lot more when he's tired/hungry. I suspect very mild ADHD but he seems to be able to control it very well when necessary, I'm hoping he'll just grow out of it, underneath the silliness and when he is being sensible, he is an absolute dream and so so lovely so I'm hoping that one day he'll grow out of 'silly DS' and we'll just be left with 'lovely DS'

There is absolutely no malice on his actions at all, he's like a puppy and just constantly bloody over excited 🙄

Tilapia Fri 22-Sep-17 13:45:41

My friend's son was like this at that age. He literally seemed unable to just sit still and listen like the other kids! He's 12 now and doing fine, no concerns at all.

Iceland22 Sat 23-Sep-17 07:28:47

Thanks to everyone who responded. I do think there's an issue, albeit a mild one. He simply could not keep still in karate yesterday. I'm ashamed to say I ended up telling him off as he was putting others off.

How does everyone else handle it?

@Youremywifenow your comment about not being able to sit in a sofa made me smile. He launches himself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now