Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

British food

(28 Posts)
AtleastitsnotMonday Thu 21-Sep-17 22:52:56

If you are British or live in Britain how often do you eat traditional British meals? I was just reading the 'what's for dinner?' thread, and it made me think how seldom we eat traditional British foods. We often have a roast but other than that 'british' meals are pretty few and far between. Well maybe we eat a fair few meals inspired by other countries but use British ingredients or serve with British accompaniments e.g Cajun chicken skewers with jersey royals and salad. But by the time you add pasta meals, stirfry, curries, tagines, etc I'd doubt we have more than 2 British meals a week tops.

JoJoSM2 Thu 21-Sep-17 22:56:34

Commonwealth Cuisine? Frankly, I'd struggle with naming even 10 British dishes...

Ellieboolou27 Thu 21-Sep-17 22:56:52

Your right! I read that thread and was pleasantly surprised some mentioned shepherds pie
I'd say 2x weekly on average, maybe less in summer.
Winter it's easy to do stews and got pots.

Ellieboolou27 Thu 21-Sep-17 22:57:35

Hot pots - not got a got pot blush

LindyHemming Thu 21-Sep-17 22:57:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BoreOfWhabylon Thu 21-Sep-17 22:58:19

Can't beat a good beef stew in winter - I almost live on it!

Definitely more traditional British in winter.

PickAChew Thu 21-Sep-17 22:58:47

Well, I've taken a small gammon joint out of the freezer to boil for elderly, low appetite, MIL, tomorrow. Had lamb and mint sausages from a local farm at the farmer's market, this evening.

BoreOfWhabylon Thu 21-Sep-17 23:06:06

Sausage, mash and onion gravy
Liver, bacon and onions
Shepherd's/cottage pie
Corned beef hash
Pie - beef/chicken/leftover stew/occasionally rabbit if I can get it
Steak and kidney pudding/bacon and leek pudding
Fruit crumble/pie/eve's pudding
Syrup/jam/fruit sponge and custard
Egg, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes
Fish and chips

As well as curries, pasta, chilli, hummus-y stuff, pizzas etc

BMW6 Thu 21-Sep-17 23:09:09

Faggots. Got to be with mash and processed peas.

tigercub50 Thu 21-Sep-17 23:10:38

Roast, full English brekkie, fish & chips, pies, stews, casseroles, cottage/shepherds pie, toad in the hole, bangers & mash, lots of yummy puds with yummy custard......bring on good old British grub!

Argeles Thu 21-Sep-17 23:15:01

I cook a roast dinner or a pie whenever any of my friends from other countries visit me, as they want to eat home cooked traditional British food. They always cook dishes from their home countries when I visit them.

These friends visit me about once every 3-4 weeks, so I only eat traditional British foods once every 3-4 weeks. I eat more British food now that I have these friends, as my DH is British Asian and finds it really bland and boring, so up until I was cooking for my friends, I wouldn't be cooking these foods very often.

WhichJob Thu 21-Sep-17 23:19:24

Hardly ever! We have a roast dinner every few months, we do a lot of meat and two veg though so I suppose that counts.

AdaColeman Thu 21-Sep-17 23:33:01

I like traditional meals such as liver and onions, steak & kidney pie, roast beef, toad in the hole, and also like pasta classics such as spag bol.

I probably eat about half and half between traditional British foods, and lighter meals such as poached fish, pasta with prawns. I'm not keen on curry so rarely eat it, though I do like Chinese food.

SilverySurfer Thu 21-Sep-17 23:35:55

All of my food is British, I do not eat any foreign food or rice or pasta or garlic or chickpeas or pulses or lots of other things so 100%

oldlaundbooth Fri 22-Sep-17 01:49:05

I'm British but live abroad and we rarely eat British food really.

More in the winter I guess, stews, sausage and mash, the odd pie. Not many roasts, it's too much faff.

SerfTerf Fri 22-Sep-17 02:05:05

Actually we eat pottage once a week but we're barley munching weirdos grin

Also chops a couple of times a month (my meat fix in a largely veggie diet). Our Sunday roast is fairly traditional apart from the nut roast.

Other than that, we mainly eat vaguely Indian or vaguely Italian main meals.

tabulahrasa Fri 22-Sep-17 02:10:44

I don't eat meat and rarely eat pastry, so that bypasses a lot of meals... I have the odd potato topped type pie.

But, lunch is different, sandwiches, lentil soup, baked potatoes...they're all British.

Katedotness1963 Fri 22-Sep-17 07:43:12

Sausage and mash
Fish and chips (sadly frozen)
Cottage pie
Fried breakfast
A roast on a rare occasion

Have only lived about three years in the UK since 1988, not sure I remember what British food is anymore...

Aderyn17 Fri 22-Sep-17 07:57:34

Our food is a bit of a mix. So I will make a casserole but flavour it with spices that are not traditionally from Britain. Or make a curry that isn't the same as somrone in India would eat but is the British version.
I do try to buy local chicken/sausages etc but my dc like pasta with their sausages, so again a bit of a mix.

haribomilkshake Fri 22-Sep-17 08:20:46

Hardly ever! Maybe pie or sausage and mash once a month. Jacket potato is about the only regular one. Was married to a non-British person for years but I'd given up in British food long before then. Taste preference is for strong flavours and I like novelty. Also appetite/weight issues mean I prefer "picky" serve yourself shared meal style (tapas mezze etc) than being dished up a big pile at the outset and feeling some kind of obligation to finish it

redexpat Fri 22-Sep-17 08:21:00

Im British but live abroad. We have cottage pie a lot in winter, and roasts, coronation chicken, leek and potato soup, fishcake, macaroni cheese, bacon and egg pie if we are travelling, pork and apple stew, fish pie, cabbage and bacon is a good side dish for low carbing. Fish and chips when Lidl has their annual Brirish week.

redexpat Fri 22-Sep-17 08:22:37

But probably once a week.

Camomila Fri 22-Sep-17 08:27:32

Maybe once or twice a week?
Usually 'chicken potatoes and veg' 'english breakfast' or 'jacket potatoes and salad'

I do a lot of fairly traditional baking though.

greendale17 Fri 22-Sep-17 08:30:20

Maybe once a fortnight

Walnutwhiplash Fri 22-Sep-17 08:35:52

Hardly ever - I haven't laid eyes on a Spotted Dick in yearsgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now