Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

It's impossible to be depressed if you have money

(66 Posts)
Cameblackbenzleftwhite1 Thu 21-Sep-17 21:41:17

What do you say to someone that genuinely beleives that? She's got significant debts and is having to downsize again while she's already stuffed a one bed flat with mountains of shit.

She seems to be constantly buying more stuff and feeling less happy. Not sure what to do

Trills Thu 21-Sep-17 21:42:12

Do you have to do or say anything?

Do you have to know and interact with this person?

SnowBallsAreHere Thu 21-Sep-17 21:42:13

Rubbish. Money doesn't make you happy. It just removes one possible source of unhappiness.

Fekko Thu 21-Sep-17 21:45:02

In that case nobody rich would ever get depressed and drink themselves to death or commit suicide. It's like saying you can't have a broken leg if you are rich.

Misericord Thu 21-Sep-17 21:46:44

Churchill?

Misericord Thu 21-Sep-17 21:46:55

Princess Diana?

MiddleClassProblem Thu 21-Sep-17 21:47:24

Yeah, if I was rich I wouldn't have any issues about the child abuse I suffered or losing loved ones or any of that shit. Although I guess I could afford better therapy...

chipscheeseandcurrysauce Thu 21-Sep-17 21:48:15

Bullshit. Depression doesn’t discriminate

JuniUmiZoomi Thu 21-Sep-17 21:48:22

Sorry to sound flippant, but give her a Marie Kondo book?

Fekko Thu 21-Sep-17 21:48:49

Money just buys stuff. Ok I'm sure it can buy fab distractions from your depression.

drquin Thu 21-Sep-17 21:49:00

Not sure depression and (un)happiness are the same confused

Either way, both are independent of financial wealth.
"Having money" potentially relieves (some) of one of life's stresses.... but it doesn't guarantee anything.

CycleHire Thu 21-Sep-17 21:49:18

Do you mean she thinks she can buy happiness by buying stuff but it's creating additional problems like having debt and no space? Has she spoken to her GP?

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Thu 21-Sep-17 21:49:37

Robin Williams sad

chipscheeseandcurrysauce Thu 21-Sep-17 21:50:44

@drquin you would be correct. Depression isn’t about not being happy... it’s more about feeling empty, low and feeling there’s no way out, feeling like hopeless!

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 21-Sep-17 21:53:01

No, just like it's not impossible to get lung cancer if you've never smoked.
Rich or poor depressiondoesn't care or discrminate

lljkk Thu 21-Sep-17 21:53:37

Carrie Fischer. Robbie Williams. Stephen Fry.

You can't fix her, OP.

Cameblackbenzleftwhite1 Thu 21-Sep-17 21:56:48

I have loaned her Marie kondo, but she isn't going to read it. Apparently her possessions make her happy. But she's had to store lots of them in a friend's guarages now she's had to downsize.

She's ever confident that she will get a job that pays double what her current one does, even though she's reached her maximum earning potential without training for something.

She doesn't have to worry about money in a way as her parents always bail her out.

She doesn't think there is a problem at all. I can just see a crash happening in slow motion and don't know what to do. I probably should do nothing but it's hard.

Off topic but I thought robin William had significant debts due to divorces ?

Josiah Thu 21-Sep-17 21:56:50

Robbie Williams

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4850074/Robbie-Williams-claims-fame-KILL-him.html

Christina Onnasis

www.billionaire.com/people/73/christina-onassis-cautionary-tales

www.businessinsider.com/psychology-of-success-why-billionaires-get-depressed-2014-9?IR=T

Josiah Thu 21-Sep-17 21:58:05

And personally, I've never had money worries and I've uttered with mental health problems.

chipscheeseandcurrysauce Thu 21-Sep-17 21:58:29

It wasn’t just depression Robin was battling, he had addiction issues as well as being diagnosed with a debilitating disease (body dementia I believe).

Josiah Thu 21-Sep-17 21:58:31

Uttered means suffered

ChocolatePHD Thu 21-Sep-17 22:04:34

Money does not give you happiness. If that were true then countless celebs wouldn't be on drugs/ drinking/ in rehab/ splitting up/ dying of overdoses.

If 'things' made us happy we wouldn't need to keep buying more things....

tygr Thu 21-Sep-17 22:08:29

You know that people buy stuff to keep painful feelings at bay right? So she might be buying crap because it gives her a momentary relief from whatever she's trying not to feel.

You don't sound very empathetic.

Perhaps offering a shoulder to cry on would actually help. But only if you're a genuine friend. Not someone relishing someone else's 'car crash' of a life.

Cameblackbenzleftwhite1 Thu 21-Sep-17 22:15:38

I'm not relishing in a crash, but this has been progressing for the last few years while she gets woorse. But still she's adiment "if I had a big house and a land rover my life would be perfect".

How can I offer her a shoulder to cry on if she doesn't even see an issue?

That's a great post PhD, so true sad

Mulch Thu 21-Sep-17 22:20:16

Cant measure someones misery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now