Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is Geology a pure science?

(38 Posts)
hawleybits Thu 21-Sep-17 21:23:00

Dd is looking at uni courses and I'm not sure whether Geology is considered a pure science or an applied science, the information is rather ambiguous. Her tutor says it's a pure science.

Any scientists here please?

BizzyFizzy Thu 21-Sep-17 21:24:07

I'd say pure.

DrDreReturns Thu 21-Sep-17 21:25:45

I'd say pure. Loads of maths in the geophysical side of it. Paleontology is more inclined to the life sciences.

QuentinSummers Thu 21-Sep-17 21:29:10

I'd call it a natural science. It civers aspects of chemistry, physics and biology applied to the earth. Awesome degree though, she should definitely do it! The field work is fun and because it's so broad there's lots of different aspects to the degree.
What does she want to do after uni?
Also does she always look at rocks when she's out and about? grin

museumum Thu 21-Sep-17 21:33:34

Why does it matter?
I think it’s an awesome subject. I did physics but probably wish I’d done geology instead.

hawleybits Thu 21-Sep-17 21:35:56

I get the low down on rocks smile

She's looking at archaeology with forensic science and is now wishing she'd chosen chemistry over geology as an A level choice. I think geology has a bit of everything and will hopefully be considered as a worthwhile science subject.

DrDreReturns Thu 21-Sep-17 21:38:19

Don't do forensic science! Speaking as a former forensic scientist, Forensic Science degrees are garbage. Geology would be a much better option.

hawleybits Thu 21-Sep-17 21:38:38

It matters for some of the uni courses she'd like to apply for. Some specifically ask for biology, chemistry or physics. She's emailed a few to clarify.

senua Thu 21-Sep-17 21:39:40

It doesn't matter what we think, the important thing is what Admissions think.
E-mail them and ask them.

hawleybits Thu 21-Sep-17 21:39:51

Why garbage Dr?

StrikingMatches Thu 21-Sep-17 21:40:23

A second on the don't do forensic science. A relative works in pharmaceuticals and he says they take all CVs that have forensic science degrees and put them on the no pile. CSI has a lot to answer for.

senua Thu 21-Sep-17 21:40:36

x-posts!

Ta1kinPeece Thu 21-Sep-17 21:41:55

anything with "science" in the degree name is not a science ....

StarDanced Thu 21-Sep-17 21:42:07

Geologist and geology teacher here- most universities count it as a pure science, especially the new a level. It has been brought in line with the other sciences and has a practical endorsement aspect.

DrDreReturns Thu 21-Sep-17 21:47:59

As pp have alluded to there are a lot of Forensic Science degrees because it is a 'trendy' subject. They produce way more graduates than the industry needs, and in any case employers in Forensic Science prefer graduates with 'pure' sciences. That was certainly the case when I was a forensic scientist. There are a few exceptions -e.g. the course Strathclyde run, but I wouldn't touch most of them with a barge pole. Do a less specific subject and keep your options open would be my advice.

titchy Thu 21-Sep-17 21:49:10

anything with "science" in the degree name is not a science ....

I wonder if Cambridge are aware their Natural Science degrees are a bit shit? wink Or if Bristol know their Biological Science degree is also a tad rubbish?

hawleybits Thu 21-Sep-17 21:49:49

Interesting Star Danced, thank you.
I'm slightly confused at the prospect of forensic science as a single subject however, am trying to encourage dd to look at combined geology or archaeology. I realise CSI has a lot to answer for but does that mean all forensic subjects are potentially not taken seriously?

hawleybits Thu 21-Sep-17 21:51:23

titchy wink

Ta1kinPeece Thu 21-Sep-17 21:58:44

Titchy
Cambridge www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences
Bristol
www.bristol.ac.uk/biology/
Sciences and Science .... not the same thing
smile
I stand by my comment

titchy Thu 21-Sep-17 22:08:56

Ok, so 'science' bad; 'sciences' good yes?

This would be one to avoid then: sad

wink

Ta1kinPeece Thu 21-Sep-17 22:13:01

Yup, Why call it computer science when Computing will do

and lets be honest, we are both pedants : you've done a fab job of finding the few exceptions to the rule

BUT
Sports Science
Forensic Science
Environmental Science
General Science
etc etc etc
are none of them worth £50,000 of debt

ChocolatePHD Thu 21-Sep-17 22:31:25

I have zero useful info to add- just that I wish I had a good brain for science and could study geology. My house is filled with rocks and I'm obsessed with volcanoes!

Pollaidh Thu 21-Sep-17 23:04:06

Geology is a pure science, though you can do geotechnical engineering which is applied.

Geology at degree level is mainly chemistry and physics, with a lot of maths, and a bit of biology. I have a geology degree. Also not all courses are created equal - some are a lot more hardcore than others.

Don't do forensic science degrees. I've just helped a student who wanted to do FS and I learnt from FS people that they want pure sciences like biology, geology at degree level, to go into forensics.

Pollaidh Thu 21-Sep-17 23:08:01

Also geology is a good subject for graduate careers. Plenty of different options and applications. Academia, oil, aggregates, engineering, environmental science, nuclear, mining, prospecting...

HoneyIshrunktheBiscuit Thu 21-Sep-17 23:09:14

Computing and computer science are different subjects. And computer science is considered more academic than computing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now