Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Before I hit the 'buy' button for a mooncup....

(56 Posts)
Alabasterangel6 Thu 21-Sep-17 14:57:10

Reassure me on a couple of things....

Tampons are not my friend. I sort of struggle to get them high enough then I can feel them and they make me crampy when otherwise I am crampless. And the string drives me nuts with itching. Will a mooncup do any of this?

I've used a contraceptive Dutch cap before - years ago - I thought it was a similar thing (but in reverse, stopping stuff getting out not in!) but if I can insert one of those am I safe to assume a MC would be okay too?

Can you really, genuinely, not feel it?

nobutreally Thu 21-Sep-17 15:00:25

You genuinely, really can't feel it - I always hated the feeling of tampons - esp at the start and end of my period, but don't notice my munch. IN fact my biggest issue is that I have a tendency to forget it's there!

I had never used a Dutch cap, and did have a few massacre in the bathroom moments when I was getting used to the munch, but you soon sort your own technique. I'd just make sure you do the first few inserts/removes in your own bathroom if you can so you don't need to worry.

Honestly, they are fab, I'm a total convert (about 12 years and counting - not all with the same mooncup!)

boredofmyoldname Thu 21-Sep-17 15:01:20

Tbh, I preferred the Meluna cup as it was softer and sized better for me but in the long run I went back to washable pads as no matter how much I tried it was never comfy and I could feel it but I have the same issue with tampons so I guess it's trial and error really!

boredofmyoldname Thu 21-Sep-17 15:02:23

Christ, a bit of punctuation wouldn't have gone amiss there blush

Alabasterangel6 Thu 21-Sep-17 15:03:30

I've looked at a few brands but I don't have the luxury of trying lots financially, at least not immediately. Still think even one is a gamble but obviously i won't know if I don't try!

LaContessaDiPlump Thu 21-Sep-17 15:03:53

You can feel the 'tail' a bit if it's too long, but you can always trim it!

I forgot mine was in there after the heaviest flow day and removed it 2 days later (in the shower) to a satisfactory ocean of blood grin

Honestly, I have to wear a pantyliner with mine (against leakage) but I get through far fewer pads and have not used tampons in 2 years.

FaithAgain Thu 21-Sep-17 15:42:38

I had a mooncup for years but lost it (somewhere in the house, I know I sterilised it!). I did find it leaked though. My friend suggested trying this online quiz which I did, I bought the organicup based on my results. It's definitely better for me than the moon cup, not leaking or uncomfortable (my mooncup could be uncomfortable!).

Blobby10 Thu 21-Sep-17 16:04:40

Yes!!! yes!!! yes!! buy!! buy!!!! buy !!!!

Can you tell I like mine grin

evilgiraffe Thu 21-Sep-17 21:35:57

I liked mine before I had children, but since having two, find it very uncomfortable even with the stem trimmed right off - it's just too long now. I recently bought a Femmycycle cup, which I'm getting on with much better - it is wide and short rather than long and thin. Dreadful name, though! grin

AnneLovesGilbert Thu 21-Sep-17 21:42:14

It's the best thing ever. I never feel mine and I'm much less crampy with it.

You see a lot more blood than with tampons but it still feels much cleaner. None of that horrible dryness and fibres. Better for the environment. Pays for itself in no time.

I wash mine with soap and water between uses, give a good rinse, and boil it between cycles.

Go for it. It's a genius invention.

When you get it, give yourself a bit of time to find your best way of popping it in. I sort of fold it and then once it's in it (gently) opens and stays put till you take it out. Depending on your flow it can stay in much longer than tampons too.

MrsMeeseeks Thu 21-Sep-17 21:43:21

Wish Mooncups worked for me 🙁

Purpleball Thu 21-Sep-17 21:45:27

I find the diva cup is better than a moon cup. I do use washable pantyliners just in case of leaks. But no I can't feel it

Gwencooper81 Thu 21-Sep-17 21:46:27

Can I jump on and ask a question please?. I've got a tilted cervix and find tampons uncomfy. I've also had a rather large baby vaginally iyswim?blush will it stay put?
Sorry OP to derail!

picklemepopcorn Thu 21-Sep-17 21:48:25

I got a very cheap soft generic one off amazon. Love it. And I have a moon cup too.

I can feel it, but it isn't irritating like a tampon. I also trim the stalk right off.

AntiGrinch Thu 21-Sep-17 21:51:53

"I sort of struggle to get them high enough then I can feel them and they make me crampy when otherwise I am crampless. And the string drives me nuts with itching."

I had exactly this and a cup is miles better.

I had a Keeper first (in the 90s!) and for me it was not as comfortable as a Mooncup. but there are other choices now.

there are various different kinds of fold. If you are a bit sensitive then you should learn to make it as small as possible to insert. this is really easy.
www.menstrualcupsaustraliaonline.com.au/menstrual-cup-folds/

Redken24 Thu 21-Sep-17 22:23:56

I think these sound great but I just can't work out how I would get it in there ? I will have to go to boots to see a real one I think my imagination is creating a weird image 😂

existentialmoment Thu 21-Sep-17 22:29:50

You genuinely, really can't feel it

This is not at all universally true. I can't use them, i can totally feel it and find it very uncomfortable. I have tried different brands and sizes but I think its me that is the odd shape rather than the cups.
I use sea sponges which are far more comfortable for me.

TheNotSoGoodWife Thu 21-Sep-17 22:33:24

I don't get on with the mooncup - it's too rigid and the volume wasn't big enough for my flow. I have a luvurbody cup that is much much better for me - it's softer and can hold me ch more.

MagentaRocks Thu 21-Sep-17 22:34:58

I'm the same redken. I imagine a soft version of a funnel you use in the kitchen!

LabMonkey Thu 21-Sep-17 22:35:39

I wasn't sure because I always struggled with tampons but I bought a femenesse one (reduced to <£5 in Tesco) and I love it. My periods have been crampy and horrible since DC3 but now they're fine.

UterusUterusGhali Thu 21-Sep-17 22:44:49

Mine fell out last night walking home from a restaurant. blush

I was only my second day using it though. And it was dark, luckily.

I don't think I'm doing it right.

FaithAgain Thu 21-Sep-17 22:46:46

Uterus do you twist it to make sure it has sealed? Mine worked it's way down once, it was agony! I could feel myself spasming to get it out! A 1/4 twist will create suction that holds it in place.

SignOnTheWindow Thu 21-Sep-17 23:01:52

I tried the mooncup once but when I removed it, I felt like my uterus was going to come with it...

How do you remove them without the vacuum effect and without getting blood all over the place?

PenguinDi Thu 21-Sep-17 23:05:21

Google Femininewear they have loads of reusable sanpro on their site and helpful hints and tips. I wouldn't be without my Meluna cups

Kelsoooo Thu 21-Sep-17 23:15:42

I need to remember to buy one!
Just did the quiz and it recommended the Si Bell....has anyone tried that one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now