Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What do other judges and barristers think of Judge Rinder?

(40 Posts)
SoPassRemarkable Thu 21-Sep-17 14:20:25

I know he's a properly qualified judge and I guess plays it for laughs on the TV at times. He does seem to take it very seriously though from a legal perspective. Does he make sensible legal decisions? Anyone here a judge/barrister or know one who has an opinion on this?

Acidophilus Thu 21-Sep-17 14:27:06

He is not a judge and never was. He is a criminal barrister and he doesn't currently practise as far as I know.

He was respected in his field when he did practise.

Caspiana Thu 21-Sep-17 14:30:20

The decisions he make don't seem to be very legal, they usually involve resolving factual disputes with not a lot of law, which is lucky as he does civil disputes and he was a criminal barrister. Watching is a bit like a busman's holiday for me so I don't usually tune in but from what I've seen his decisions are pretty sensible.

VladmirsPoutine Thu 21-Sep-17 14:32:32

I'm not in the legal profession but did have this conversation with a friend whom is. On the face of it he does make sensible decisions and coupled with his ability to bring a bit of humour, fun, and empathy to it renders him a pretty decently viewed bloke. When he was in his 'career' as it were he was by all accounts also pretty good.

greendale17 Thu 21-Sep-17 14:36:02

As someone not trained in law, I like how he explains his decision and how it relates to the law

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 21-Sep-17 14:37:50

He is a barrister and not a judge.

I am a solicitor and his cases are decided upon an actual legal consideration of the case in front of him.

vinoandbrie Thu 21-Sep-17 14:38:44

Very well respected. As others have said, he was never a judge.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Thu 21-Sep-17 14:45:30

I like his humour, but also he shows compassion where it's warranted and over and above the 'judgement' in TV court, he tries to restore and re-build relationships.

Regardless of anything he says being based in law, he also talks common sense.

actionrequired Thu 21-Sep-17 14:50:49

Slightly derailing the question but has anyone seen the American Judge Frank Caprio from the TV show 'Caught in Providence'? He's just fabulous. He seems to really care for the people before him.

PoppyPopcorn Thu 21-Sep-17 14:54:08

He's a barrister not a judge. He does take it all very seriously. It's also a civil court set up rather than a criminal one so he just decides based on the balance of probability rather than "beyond reasonable doubt".

I do think he really plays up the lack of knowledge of pop culture too much though.

But he was awesome on Strictly.

BackieJerkhart Thu 21-Sep-17 14:59:02

I have never watched judge rinder but I had assumed it was all fake! blush are they all real cases?

SoPassRemarkable Thu 21-Sep-17 15:00:56

Never watch Strictly so didn't see him on that but I can imagine he was great.

The other day there was a case infront of him and he'd obviously been reading case law (?) on the subject and quoted some stuff. So looks like he does do some sort of legal prep prior to hearing g the cases which I thought was good.

SoPassRemarkable Thu 21-Sep-17 15:01:48

I'm sure all the cases are real, don't think they could find people to act that well.....it gets very het up at times!

SinglePringle Thu 21-Sep-17 15:07:14

They have to be real by... um... law (well, regulations). Television producers are bound by OFCOM and have to tell the truth when it comes to facts (regardless of whether the show is drama or factual - dramas based on truth / fact are also bound by these regulations). If it were fake, they'd have to tell you at the beginning. Like the disclaimer at the start of TOWIE ('some of these events were set up blah blah blah').

Missingstreetlife Thu 21-Sep-17 15:09:36

Are the decisions binding though? Who enforces them?

SoPassRemarkable Thu 21-Sep-17 15:11:14

I've always imagined they sign something agreeing to respect the judges decision......not sure what happens though if someone ignores it/doesn't pay. They'd just be back to square one!

ElasticatedJeans Thu 21-Sep-17 15:15:35

Is he not at 2 Hare Court anymore?

CalmanOnSpeeddial Thu 21-Sep-17 15:18:08

I assume it works like a binding arbitration where you sign a contract before you start agreeing to be bound by the decision made. But if cash awards are given they're paid by the TV company according to Wikipedia.

Lottapianos Thu 21-Sep-17 15:21:06

'But he was awesome on Strictly'

Totally agree. My favourite contestant ever

I love his mix of being extremely funny but also deadly serious. I agree he's full of common sense as well

CarolinePenvenen Thu 21-Sep-17 15:21:58

I’ve never seen it. I’m still trying to get my head round what was real and fictional in Crown Court! <old>

SoPassRemarkable Thu 21-Sep-17 15:22:09

I never realised the TV company paid out.....

Maybe I should cook up a pretend financial disagreement with my friend. I will fall to bits on the stand and confess it was a loan and not a gift....be told I have to pay her 4K. Then the TV company give her 4 k and we can split it.

Longdistance Thu 21-Sep-17 15:22:53

I thought ITV made the pay outs to the claimants if they won? I could be wrong.

TrinityTaylor Thu 21-Sep-17 15:26:36

He was fabulous on strictly and eas unfairly slated at times, his relationship with Oksana his partner was just lovely

eurochick Thu 21-Sep-17 15:56:33

My husband said recently he saw the advert for what turned out to be this show and briefly considered applying.

He would have been great. (But rubbish on Strictlygrin)

A friend's husband is in chambers with this chap. He is an all round good guy, apparently. The Bar is a small place and quite snobby but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him.

ThisIsntMyUsualName Thu 21-Sep-17 15:59:34

Did I imagine it or is he best mates with Bendydick Cuminsnatch?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now