Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I'm surrounded by racists

(50 Posts)
NaiceToMeetYou Thu 21-Sep-17 11:51:30

Whenever I read threads on here about racism I'm always surprised by the number of posters who genuinely seem shocked that racism is still rife in Britain.

I live in a northern, predominantly white, working class area. Most days I hear racism. Within my family, at work (from colleagues and customers), at the school gates, in the supermarket...

Am I really in a black hole? I feel like all I can do is teach my children and hope for the best tbh. It's fucking depressing.

Fannylodger Thu 21-Sep-17 11:58:07

Same here (rural Wales).
Most mumsnetters seem to be in london or expensive english cities where it's probably a lot more multicultural. Obviously not all are but those are the people who seem the most shocked at it.
YANBU.

Fannylodger Thu 21-Sep-17 11:58:43

Ignore me I've just realised we're in chat.
<slinks off>
I am VU clearly grin

NaiceToMeetYou Thu 21-Sep-17 12:00:14

Haha I thought about posting in aibu but didn't want it turning into a bun fight!

x2boys Thu 21-Sep-17 12:00:30

I'm neither in London or an expensive city but it's very multicultural here in my part of Bolton hmm

Unihorn Thu 21-Sep-17 12:01:05

Also in Wales but not very rural and don't notice it around here to be honest. My grandparents make flippant comments about immigrants but it's more ignorance than racism.

Bertsfriend Thu 21-Sep-17 12:01:28

Same here, fairly rural. I hear casual racism often.

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Thu 21-Sep-17 12:07:03

I live ina town with quite a large multicultural population, there is still a bit of racism sadly, but nowhere near as much as my PiL laws town on Isle of White!
In a town where it is literally 99.9% white brits, they hate immigrants with an absolute fury.
Anyone with even vaguely dark colouring is viewed with extreme suspicion.
The guy at the end of the road has a Trump flag, confederate flags etc etc.

I don't get it, they barely meet anyone who isn't white British, but the fear and anger is palpable. confused

EddieHitler Thu 21-Sep-17 12:27:23

We just visited family in the north and we were shocked by the everyday casual racism everywhere. The one I am always most shocked by is how many people say, "Chinkies", and nobody bats and eyelid.

DurhamDurham Thu 21-Sep-17 12:32:34

Well let's not generalise and lump all Northerners together, I'm in Durham and don't see or hear racism on a daily basis. It's a busy university city with students from all over the world.
I knew of more racist people when I lived in Watford and Aylesbury as I do in Durham.

Hereward1332 Thu 21-Sep-17 12:36:35

Your choice of the phrase 'black hole' is either inspired or very unfortunate.

TrinityTaylor Thu 21-Sep-17 12:38:19

Most racist place ive been is Norfolk. Posh white ignorant nob heads for the most part. I live in a "rough" ish part of Manchester. Tolerant, diverse, intelligent people everywhere.

x2boys Thu 21-Sep-17 12:39:17

Yes all northerners are thick and racist of course there is racism all over the UK not just the north

LaContessaDiPlump Thu 21-Sep-17 12:44:42

I live in a very multicultural city in the south. Our neighbours (who are black) had a noisy party recently, which they did warn us of in advance (plus it was on Sat).

The next morning a few other (white) neighbours passed each other in the street and were exchanging "Well I got no sleep" stories. That's not racist. However the bit where they went "Well all the women's voices are really shrill and all the men have really deep ones" had me a bit hmm and confused

Racism is alive and kicking.

MamaLazarou Thu 21-Sep-17 12:47:18

I live in South London and there's plenty of racism around here. It's everywhere.

Mrsdraper1 Thu 21-Sep-17 12:53:51

Until recently I lived in Manchester, not a posh area but I can't say I heard it much.

NaiceToMeetYou Thu 21-Sep-17 13:02:12

Your choice of the phrase 'black hole' is either inspired or very unfortunate hmm

I didn't say all northerners are thick and racist, I'm a northerner confused
I just mentioned where I live in the op as I thought I'd be asked if I left it out.

badabing36 Thu 21-Sep-17 13:10:01

I moved from the centre of a once industrial northern city to the suburbs. The racism here shocked me and its only 10 miles away. I don't think it's a north, south thing or an affluence thing. But more of who you see every day kind of thing. I am surrounded by only white people. I have heard the n word here -
challenged quite rightly, but the people word slipped out conversationally confused

badabing36 Thu 21-Sep-17 13:11:12

P word not people word

Cameblackbenzleftwhite1 Thu 21-Sep-17 13:12:39

I live rural and the only racism I encounter is from a multicultural house of young people who enjoy casual racism as a joke and my gran who "doesn't like Birmingham as there are lots of black people". My nan is just very old and we all ignore her while feeling uncomfortable.

TempsPerdu Thu 21-Sep-17 13:16:19

Definitely not just a northern thing. I live in a very multicultural area of London and rarely come across overt racism. But my wider family, who mostly live 20-30 miles away in Essex, are all extremely racist, and not shy of expressing their views. I dread our (thankfully rare) family get togethers as it's like attending the UKIP party conference!

badabing36 Thu 21-Sep-17 13:25:02

Also no doubt all those people who say stuff like the p word would go nuts if you ever dared to say they were racist. You see it all the time on mn op asks 'aibu or this racist?' hundreds of posters rush to say 'your an idiot of course it's not' hmm

AccrualIntentions Thu 21-Sep-17 13:27:08

I live in a northern city but can't say I hear much racism around me. Perhaps I don't notice it.

overstuffedburitto Thu 21-Sep-17 13:28:34

Durhamdurham - DB lived in Durham and moved to Manchester after someone painted 'p**ilover' on his front and back doors in gloss paint and scratched it into his car

Re racism - I think it's everywhere but white people dont hear it much. Like misogyny surprises men

therealpippi Thu 21-Sep-17 13:28:45

Plenty in London too unfortunately. Maybe less than other places but... it's like that fog in the neverending story. Sadly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now