Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is the airport the cheapest place to get high end make up?

(14 Posts)
AbsentmindedWoman Thu 21-Sep-17 11:43:20

Been meaning to ask this for a while. Is it cheaper for make up, or is the saving very minimal?

TheWeeWitch Thu 21-Sep-17 14:46:51

No. Not at all cheaper in my experience. I always look for my three favourite items and haven’t seen them any cheaper at airports for the past couple of years at least. I buy them on amazon now.

HotelEuphoria Thu 21-Sep-17 14:51:10

Agree with the above, apart from alcohol I don't find anything cheaper at the airport these days even when travelling outside the EU.

US brands of make up, bought in the US used to be pounds for $ but the exchange rate isn't brilliant these days so again, not massive savings.

AbsentmindedWoman Thu 21-Sep-17 14:55:19

Oh shock glad I double checked!

Yep meant for flight destinations outside of EU. The make up I want is Lancome. When I pass through the airport, I can never remember the prices from the department stores on Oxford St or wherever, so this time I thought I'd check in advance to see where is cheapest.

I must look on Amazon as well.

AbsentmindedWoman Thu 21-Sep-17 14:56:03

Agree that it's disappointing how much the pound has fallen against the dollar.

MorrisZapp Thu 21-Sep-17 14:57:44

Pound has rallied against the dollar a bit now I think?

I remember one holiday when it was two dollars to a pound. Bloody brilliant! Those days are gone.

KatharinaRosalie Thu 21-Sep-17 14:58:17

No, not at all. I have found the best deals on secret/private sales websites. You have to set alerts on all of them for the brands you're looking for, and can then find really good deals.

AbsentmindedWoman Thu 21-Sep-17 15:22:45

Secret or private sales sites?! This is definitely a whole new world to me!

Where can I find them? Who are they?!

TitaniasCloset Thu 21-Sep-17 15:31:28

I too need a secret website. Please tell!

KatharinaRosalie Thu 21-Sep-17 15:40:37

Vente Privee, Brand Alley, Secret Sales, Showroom Privee are some that I can think of. Not sure about Lancome specifically.

AbsentmindedWoman Thu 21-Sep-17 21:48:39

Thank you I will investigate these!

CFSKate Fri 22-Sep-17 07:23:24

Debenhams website has 15% off Lancome today.

Shadow666 Fri 22-Sep-17 07:27:35

Strawberry net has a lot of discounted brand stuff.

uk.strawberrynet.com/m/mmain.aspx

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 22-Sep-17 07:56:54

^The make up I want is Lancome. When I pass through the airport, I can never remember the prices from the department stores on Oxford St or wherever, so this time I thought I'd check in advance to see where is cheapest.

I must look on Amazon as well^

I've stood in the airport shop and checked Amazon etc prices on my phone before now. But apart from booze n fags, there isn't usually much of a saving at airports. Sometimes its VAT free, but RRP minus VAT is often more than the discounted price offered by Amazon etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now