Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Dsis says she can tell we are poor by....

(336 Posts)
DonutCone Thu 21-Sep-17 11:00:36

The fact we own a tin opener.

She says she herself has not bought a tin without a ring pull in years and obviously does not own a tin opener. Apparently only poor people buy tins that would need a tin opener.

Hmm. Shall I sell this idea to the Government as the new easy poverty calculator tool wink

Bluntness100 Thu 21-Sep-17 11:02:23

Eh what? How random And weird.

PennyLaneFlowers Thu 21-Sep-17 11:04:43

shock

Me and DP had a similar conversation. We were confused as to why on earth people buy designer tomatoes rather than Tesco Value ones as they're exactly the bloody same.

He pointed out that maybe it was because the designer ones have ring pulls but the ones for us commoners don't. I'd never noticed that but when DP pointed it out, it was like everything went in slow motion as I slowly realised the socio-economic divisiveness that is the humble tin opener.

NataliaOsipova Thu 21-Sep-17 11:05:11

Tell her the artisan pates they sell in Fortnum and Mason food hall definitely do not come with a ring pull....

MrsPear Thu 21-Sep-17 11:06:46

Nor does ambrosia rice pudding or custard. Although admitting they are firm favourites in the Pear household probably makes me common to some!

ponzi Thu 21-Sep-17 11:07:28

hmm

I have found that the contents of ring pull cans don't keep long term like standard cans. I had to bin some ring pull tins of tuna recently. They were at their date but this should not be an issue with tins. I like to store plenty of tins for emergencies so will avoid ring pulls in future.

PS lidl sell lots of ring pull cans so they are available to those of us who are not posh and moneyed.

DonutCone Thu 21-Sep-17 11:09:29

Yes, she would never, ever, consider a tin without a ring pull. She was also beyond horrified when she saw my value level shampoo. She had forgotten hers so made me drive her to the nearest town to get some £10 a bottle stuff as there was no way 'that stuff' was going on her head grin

happyinherts Thu 21-Sep-17 11:09:54

I've had increasing trouble with tins and tin openers lately. In fact, I now have four different brands of them languishing in drawer because not one of them opens tins easily.

Am I the only one who now buys ring pulls for that reason? Is it the quality of the tin that's changed recently. For love nor money - and I don't wish to spend any more - I cannot find a tin that responds to my collection of openers. I don't want a battery operated one as one died on me and I couldn't remove the tin. Hence opener and tin ended up in bin together.

The nightmares of tea time !

MyBrilliantDisguise Thu 21-Sep-17 11:10:56

She sounds a complete idiot, tbh.

ponzi Thu 21-Sep-17 11:12:10

I had that problem with tin openers, then I discovered the fiskars tin opener with no moving parts. Works every time and never needs replacing.

CandyMelts Thu 21-Sep-17 11:15:23

I worked in a canned food factory as a student, you've just reminded me that the cost price of a ring pull was 1.5p... little useless fact for you

Howlandbreathe Thu 21-Sep-17 11:15:40

My mind is a little bit boggled with this...

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 21-Sep-17 11:17:00

The real sign of poverty is not having a tin opener, buying the cheaper tins and smashing them open on a rock.

SpringBreak Thu 21-Sep-17 11:18:10

Branston beans don't come with a ring pull and they are much fancier than Heinz

ohlittlepea Thu 21-Sep-17 11:18:58

hehe aldi beans have ring pulls...not always a sing of wealth 😁

LapCatLicker Thu 21-Sep-17 11:22:19

I find the oxo tin opener to be brilliant, it's never slips, it never leaves bits of the lid attached to the can.
I dislike ring pulls because they spatter as you pull them off. I could afford them if I want but according to her I'd be poor, not that there's anything wrong with that. I grew up poor, I might be poor again, I'm still me.

strongasmeringue Thu 21-Sep-17 11:23:37

You drove her to get shampoo? What a wally.

HeartburnCentral Thu 21-Sep-17 11:24:38

What happens when the ring breaks off before she gets the tin opened? Is it her realisation that you know the economy is in recession when you have a tin opener in your house? [Grin]

SnowiestMountain Thu 21-Sep-17 11:24:44

I currently have a big plaster on my thumb where I sliced it opening a tin of custard, that must make me very common indeed, not a ring pull in sight!

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Thu 21-Sep-17 11:25:08

That is a really bizarre thing to notice. Why on earth does she care so much about your ring pull situation? I'm equal parts confused and grin

ChardonnaysPrettySister Thu 21-Sep-17 11:25:29

I bloody hate tin openers because they are real bastards to use.

So I have two.

The pull rings are better for someone who has arthritis though, which is not what your tatty sis had in mind, I don't think.

FreezerBird Thu 21-Sep-17 11:25:29

Just to flip this in another direction, at food bank we make sure that we make up some packs with all ring-pull cans because some people (i.e. rough sleepers) might not have a tin opener.

See what she makes of that.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 21-Sep-17 11:25:33

If you tug the ring pull a bit too hard, it can snap off.

You'll have the last laugh when she comes grovelling at your door asking for your lower class tin opener when the ring pull's fallen off her sweetcorn.

Anymajordude Thu 21-Sep-17 11:28:09

I was going to say what Spring break said about Branston's beans. They're the best and no ring pull.

Logans Thu 21-Sep-17 11:28:11

Haha!

I was once told that colanders were an absurd middle class contrivance which symbolised the working / middle class divide hmm you'd think they were only available in Harrods, not 99p in the pound shop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now