Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can I take a crochet hook on a plane?

(57 Posts)
MollyHuaCha Thu 21-Sep-17 09:49:13

I know I won't be allowed scissors. I'm not checking in any luggage, so the crochet hook has to travel in my hand luggage or not at all. Any thoughts please?

PotteringAlong Thu 21-Sep-17 09:49:56

I'd have thought no.

GrandMasterFlash Thu 21-Sep-17 09:50:16

Good question! Following!

MotherofSausage Thu 21-Sep-17 09:53:08

I think almost certainly not (on the basis that I had an afro comb confiscated once...)

MollyHuaCha Thu 21-Sep-17 09:53:25

PotteringAlong I think possibly no too. I have a cheap hook I'm prepared to sacrifice if it's confiscated. If I thought it was permitted, I'd take my favourite one!

fivepies Thu 21-Sep-17 09:55:04

I've taken crochet hooks in hand luggage recently. Either they didn't spot it or they didn't have a problem with it!
I took metal hooks (but the ones with plastic everywhere except the hook itself). Would plastic hooks show up at all in the x-ray?

MollyHuaCha Thu 21-Sep-17 09:57:44

That's a shame MotherofSausage - how irritated I would be to see my hairbrush tossed in the bin at the airport!

Fivepies you give me hope. That's the kind of hook I was planning to take.

milleniumhandandprawn Thu 21-Sep-17 09:58:31

Yup you absolutely can.
I have done many times.

Where you may have issue is with scissors for cutting yarn - nail clippers make a great substitute and are allowed.

MOIST Thu 21-Sep-17 09:58:46

I've not had any problem with hooks. Both bamboo and aluminium.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 21-Sep-17 09:58:48

No; you're not supposed too - you might get one through, but it should be confiscated (and would be if you drew attention to it).

x2boys Thu 21-Sep-17 09:59:07

An Afro comb mother? What on earth did they think you could do with that ?my husband's step brother had to drink boiling hot water once I assume to prove it wasent poison confused it was for the baby's milk we were all travelling to Turkey I think we had premade our baby's bottles but they hasent the foresight to premake their baby's bottles .

drspouse Thu 21-Sep-17 10:00:55

You can take scissors if they are under 3cm.
And yes you are allowed to take crochet hooks but read/print out both the airline AND the airport regulations.
I take knitting needles all the time and haven't had any confiscated.

I had some scissors that were too long confiscated at Schipol recently. I had taken them through Manchester, Schipol once, and my destination airport security before they were confiscated at Schipol. I did let them know they'd missed them on the first round.

cottonwoolbrain Thu 21-Sep-17 10:02:20

I don't think so.

Some ardent security staff at Glasgow airport once confiscated a plastic fork from my bag - think it was left over from a salad bowl or something - they actually said I could use it to hold up a plane and solemnly threw it in the bin.

Am now planning an armed bank robbery - guns have nothing on plastic forks and forks are so much more easily obtainable!!

milleniumhandandprawn Thu 21-Sep-17 10:03:04

This is from the BA website.

Was the Afro comb one with the longish metal spike? I guess that could be dangerous.
Not worse than a knitting needle though!

Enko Thu 21-Sep-17 10:03:06

hmmm according to [https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/personal-items this]] your allowed to take knitting needles and small scissors (with blades no longer than 6cm)

drspouse Thu 21-Sep-17 10:04:03

Hmm is it 6cm? I think Schipol may have been overenthusiastic!

Enko Thu 21-Sep-17 10:04:50

eugh link fail

existentialmoment Thu 21-Sep-17 10:07:00

You can and I have many times. They aren't sharp or pointed like knitting needles, a biro would be more dangerous.

MollyHuaCha Thu 21-Sep-17 10:07:32

Ooh, interesting info, thank you so much. Let's hope the people at the security scanning point have been told hooks are allowed. I'm not going to risk small scissors as I don't have any I'm prepared to lose.

FlaviaAlbia Thu 21-Sep-17 10:13:04

Someone put a really handy wool cutter thing on a similar thread
www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/clover-yarn-cutter-pendant-antique-silver

It's on my wishlist now, it looks so handy!

NearLifeExperience Thu 21-Sep-17 10:16:58

Think it depends on the airport and the current mood of the security staff.

I usually take bamboo or plastic to travel. It's fine if you have hooks that you don't mind being confiscated, but then you can't crochet when you get there!

milleniumhandandprawn Thu 21-Sep-17 10:19:38

flavia this is mine! I loooooove it and wear it as a piece of jewellery most days

NannyR Thu 21-Sep-17 10:23:25

Yes, you can take knitting needle, crochet hooks and small scissors in hand luggage. this is the government guidelines. As the PP said, it might be worth printing this out in case you have any problems.

NearLifeExperience Thu 21-Sep-17 10:29:31

That's useful, Nanny but those are only UK guidelines; worth bearing in mind that international airports may be different.smile

FlaviaAlbia Thu 21-Sep-17 10:29:39

I love it milleniumhandandprawn! Do you have any other handy wool things I'm bound to need? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now