Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you work this at christmas?

(549 Posts)
sonlypuppyfat Thu 21-Sep-17 06:17:11

DD is 16 and at college, she has a part time job waitress in in a pub. She's been told she has to work Christmas day, it's double pay so she would ger around £9 an hour. She really doesn't want to do it . And it doesn't seem a lot to give up your Christmas day for, I was wondering what other people's opinions are

hidinginthenightgarden Thu 21-Sep-17 06:21:23

No. I would be expecting more for xmas day and would still be reluctant.

cliffdiver Thu 21-Sep-17 06:25:19

It depends what the hours are.

12-3 or 3-6 maybe.

12-6 no way.

The pub I used to work in whilst at college (11 years ago) offered double time and a £50 cash bonus.

LEMtheoriginal Thu 21-Sep-17 06:30:21

Stuff that - they charge far more than double the price for Christmas dinner they are taking the piss

RonSwansonsMoustache Thu 21-Sep-17 06:38:08

If she refuses, will she still have a job? Unfortunately part of working retail and hospitality is working Christmas/Easter/bank holidays and antisocial hours for little pay!

allthegoodusernameshavegone Thu 21-Sep-17 06:39:45

What's wrong with £9 ph she won't pay tax or ni, she'll get a share of the tips, get fed and have a blast. I worked xmas and all bank hols all my life with no extra pay (it was expected as busy time) we get kids of around age 16 queuing up to work these times. If she doesn't want to work one of the busiest / fun days of the year then she could work in a shop or business that's closed xmas day. I actually think if she likes her job she will enjoy working xmas. Plus you will spoil her and over compensate for her absence when she's home - my parents and family always do.

StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Sep-17 06:41:20

I used to work Christmas day for not much more than my usual rate, waitressing. But the owner used to send us home as soon as the last table had their desserts (and then come in the day after to do all the clearing up and cleaning), still pay us for the day and it would usually be rounded up too. So I didn't mind. If it had been the full day and ended scraping plates into a bin I'd have been a bit miserable.

Sirzy Thu 21-Sep-17 06:41:45

I suppose the key point is does she want to keep her job?

StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Sep-17 06:41:57

Yes all the hood then I'd get home, have a shower and Christmas would start smile

NerrSnerr Thu 21-Sep-17 06:43:28

Yes I would and have done in the past. It's all part of having a job isn't it?

PurpleDaisies Thu 21-Sep-17 06:45:33

If she's on the rota for Christmas, that's just part of having a job there isn't it?

sandgrown Thu 21-Sep-17 06:45:36

Used to work Christmas lunch in a pub. Double time, great atmosphere and great tips . We just had our lunch later in the day.

00100001 Thu 21-Sep-17 06:47:02

She should go into work. Or book it as annual leave.

It's only Christmas day. And most young people seem to want new years Eve /day off more than Christmas

x2boys Thu 21-Sep-17 06:47:10

Well.i have worked many Xmas days as a nurse I couldn't refuse, we got double time but we got taxed a lot too it's never nice working Xmas day but yes if she refuses will she still have a job?

00100001 Thu 21-Sep-17 06:47:51

£9 an hour at 16 is a fortune!

JoJoSM2 Thu 21-Sep-17 06:49:46

If you work in a pub, restaurant, hotel etc. you are expected to work on Christmas or New Year's Eve. If that doesn't suit, then don't work in that sector. Double pay is generous of the employer too.

However, if she doesn't want to do it, she should raise it with the employer now. And be prepared that they might want to employ someone willing to work on such days instead.

C0untDucku1a Thu 21-Sep-17 06:50:07

i worked in a hotel when i was late teens. and worked christmas days. Double time but nowhere near £9!

My parents booked a table and had christmas lunch there.

PastysPrincess Thu 21-Sep-17 06:51:43

I'm afraid I would see this as just one of those things you have to deal with in life. It's not nice to have to work christmas day but unless she is going to quit, which as a parent I wouldn't support, she doesn't really have a choice. She is perfectly free to try and find another job in the meantime.

I worked in the kitchen of an a la carte restaurant serving a 7 course Christmas Day dinner. I found a better job after that and moved on.

Presumably she knew what the hourly wage was when she originally got the job so she can't be surprised at getting £9 an hour if it's double pay.

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 21-Sep-17 06:51:44

In her situation I think I would. She's likely to have fun and get some decent tips on top of her wages.

However, can she get there? How does she normally get there bearing in mind that public transport won't be running and taxis will be silly money. Would someone be available to take her and collect her if its a car ride away as opposed to walking/cycling distance.

Eebahgum Thu 21-Sep-17 06:52:22

As others have said I'm not sure it's a choice unless she's prepared to risk her job. Is there any way you can make the decision easier for her? Do a big family Christmas on Christmas Eve or Boxing Day? It's only a day after all and she'll find it easier to work if she's not thinking shes missing her Christmas Day at home.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 21-Sep-17 06:52:32

Of course she would do it if it was her chosen career, but it's a part time job

AlternativeTentacle Thu 21-Sep-17 06:53:14

Does she need the job?

sonlypuppyfat Thu 21-Sep-17 06:55:10

She doesn't need it, she just enjoys the extra cash.

Sirzy Thu 21-Sep-17 06:55:21

Chosen career or part time job is irrelevant. She works there so has to pull her weight and that includes working some of the less desirable parts of the job!

Slartybartfast Thu 21-Sep-17 06:55:45

hopefully she will get a good share of the tips, and it isnt her job for life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now