Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Has anybody ever got over a fear of public speaking?

(5 Posts)
user3974465 Wed 20-Sep-17 22:56:04

I don't mean being a bit nervous, I mean a proper, thinking about it for days, panic attack fear of public speaking.

I'm at a point in my life where if I continue with my career path it will involve a lot of mandatory public speaking, and I'm terrified. I don't want to give up my career because of a phobia, but I don't see a way out.

Any experiences or advice gratefully received smile

HVB79 Wed 20-Sep-17 23:18:51

Not a phobia, but I used to hate it! And now don't really mind, a combination of watching and learning from other people, lots of opportunities to practice and knowing the subject matter and likely questions as thoroughly as possible. Do you have any colleagues who might be able to help you or give you some pointers?

Tigerlovingall Wed 20-Sep-17 23:27:12

Ahh, don't know what to suggest, except have faith in your own self worth, remember that they are there because they really want to hear what you have to say, use flash cards or headings. And practice breathing from your diaphragm.A friend,an actress, used to give lessons in public speaking, might be worth finding someone similar?
We were taught public speaking at school, btw. We all had to stand in front of the class and speak for, dunno, 2 -- 5 minutes? Can't remember now, on our chosen topic. It stood me in good stead for later in life.

All the best.

dunderheid Wed 20-Sep-17 23:36:55

My GP prescribed propranalol for this. It's a beta blocker and helps with anxiety symptoms. I do presentations and deliver training as part of my job - I hate it. (Those aspects of it - the rest of the job I enjoy). I only got prescribed it 4 weeks ago (after many years of suffering) and I've really noticed the difference. No outward signs - the trembling and stumbling over my words, the blushing - I can still feel a bit anxious inside my head - but because I'm not concentrating on trying to cover up the physical symptoms I'm more relaxed. I've got more public speaking coming up and I'm not trying to find excuses to get out of it - or pulling a sickie like I did before blush. Don't think I'll ever actually enjoy public speaking, but I'm not agonising over it now.

Bonbonchance Thu 21-Sep-17 00:09:49

Would've been my worst nightmare not so long ago (and I'm a teacher but it's totally different, loads of teachers feel the same!) but gradually have built up over the last 7 years or so....it just sort of developed really. The more you do it the easier it gets, I found that if I really knew my stuff I was the one in control as it were, people were looking at me as the one in authority. So be really prepared, practice any presentations, build up from small amounts to larger? I also did some hobbies which I realise now developed my confidence so much and contributed to being able to speak in front of others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now