Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Has anyone here gone from ugly to pretty?

(32 Posts)
StellaAndBlanche Wed 20-Sep-17 22:40:14

Genuine q....

StellaAndBlanche Wed 20-Sep-17 22:40:25

Or know anyone who has

Dippingmytoesin Wed 20-Sep-17 22:42:41

Today I was told 'fuck me you're not as ugly as you was in college you've turned into a Tidy one' ha ..
I think I'm still just as ugly though if not worse.

IamPickleRick Wed 20-Sep-17 22:46:39

I suppose. I don't know about pretty but my face has changed shape as I've gotten older and I know how to do my makeup now. I don't have many wrinkles yet. I often get eyed up by the men who openly took the piss out of me at school (I've never left my home town). It's not empowering, really. It just confirms that you are judged entirely on looks - I'm still the same person I was.

Tameagobairanois Wed 20-Sep-17 22:49:22

I think my face suits being older rather than going from ugly to pretty. My eyes were very poppy, with too much eyelid showing. I don't know if that makes sense, but age has made my eyes look more normal I think. Like Princess Beatrice! Maybe....

Ilovetolurk Wed 20-Sep-17 22:54:10

I think teenagers often "grow into" their faces once they enter late teens\early 20s

The proportions must just align themselves nearer to the golden triangle or something

Bad skin clears up etc

I was able to turn the tables a few years on on horrid school crush who had made me walk several feet behind him each time he allowed me to walk home with him

BastardTart Wed 20-Sep-17 23:01:10

I wasn't that attractive in my early teens (wonky black front teeth, acne, permanent scowl, taller than everyone else in my class and just generally awkward) .

When my dead teeth had repeated abscesses the dentist finally agreed to remove them, and gave me a bridge with shiny straight white teeth that made a difference.... and my acne cleared up by my late teens, plus when I hit 17 and my figure suddenly sprouted hips and boobs that helped too.....

But actually no one really noticed my transformation during the 6th form (as I was already firmly in the non pretty/cool/popular subset) and I didn't realise either. When I went to uni suddenly it hit me that I was now considered 'hot'

Looking back at photos of myself during my early teens I was no where near as ugly and disfigured as I convinced myself I was, but yes, I did have spots, noticeably bad teeth, a crap bad imitation of a Rachel hairstyle, and lacked any confidence.

Pregnancy has ruined my previously flat and toned stomach, I have wrinkles now, etc, etc but I have far more confidence in myself than in those tortured years and I believe that shines through

MrsPinkCock Wed 20-Sep-17 23:01:20

Yep. Then I promptly got ugly again grin

opheliacat Wed 20-Sep-17 23:03:14

My mother was not an attractive child but became very beautiful as a young woman.

NachoAddict Wed 20-Sep-17 23:05:10

I have definitely improved with age although I wouldn't say pretty.

My spots are gone (when I take the pill), I have decent eyebrows and braces have sorted out my terrible teeth. Just need my overbite fixed (am on the wait list) and I reckon I will be alright looking.

ragz134 Wed 20-Sep-17 23:06:17

I'm better looking at 32 than I was at 18. Partly physical and partly better clothes and make up/hair!

ThunderInMyHeart Wed 20-Sep-17 23:07:51

Yes, I have...but I don't realise it, IYSWIM

In my head I'll always be 'the awkward one', like I was until I got to about 18. From 25-now (30), I've blossomed even more (based on friends' comments and increases in male attention). I don't personally see it though. It's like body dysmorphia!

However, certainly clothes and the confidence that comes with age are factors. Still like rough fresh out of bed!

I feel very lucky (although, I'm not conventionally beautiful...more 'striking' or 'nobody else looks like you') because I've seen both sides and never grew up thinking I was God's gift or whatever ie I developed a personality and spunk because I wasn't fawned over because I was an attractive teen.

BlessYourCottonSocks Wed 20-Sep-17 23:08:09

I think I looked better in my 30s than I did in my teens and 20s. Partly due to things like hair straighteners, makeup, decent clothes etc.

Growing up in the 70s I was aware I was not pretty! You learn to make the best of yourself as you get older, I think. I was never either 'ugly' or 'pretty' to be honest. ' Fairly plain' transformed into 'cleaned up alright' at best.

ThunderInMyHeart Wed 20-Sep-17 23:09:35

Also, for me, it sort of came out of nowhere. I realised one day that when I got hit on in the street, they weren't taking the piss

I much prefer how I look now to, say, 8 years ago when I was 22.

QueenNefertitty Wed 20-Sep-17 23:13:52

I looked horrendous from about 13-23.
A terrible decade of teenage gawkiness, frizzy hair, terrible teeth, and just wonkyness. Then uni and the 3 stone weight gain.

Had most of it sorted out by 25- lost a lot of weight, started exercising, discovered I look better with shorter hair, and face has improved with age.

Would still like to get teeth done, nose remains Streisand-Esque but I'm told I'm a rather attractive woman- often told "very attractive in a striking way"- or my favourite "you look like you're from the 1920s" grin I'm definitely not cookie cutter pretty, but infinitely more attractive than I promised to be in my teens!

ChickenVindaloo2 Wed 20-Sep-17 23:14:26

Great thread.
Braces made all the difference for me.
And roaccutane for my acne.

plantsitter Wed 20-Sep-17 23:16:10

I have, and back to ugly again. The truth is if you are happy with yourself and your life the happiness shines out of you. Like that bit in the Twits.

KoolKoala07 Wed 20-Sep-17 23:17:41

Nope, I'm still ugly.

YorkieButtons Wed 20-Sep-17 23:21:57

I am almost 40 and feel better looking than I did at 18!
I'm still overweight but carry it well. I have striking eyes which I suppose are my best features but I have more male attention now than ever.

Maybe its feeling more comfortable in yourself and it sort of shines out, who knows?!

I never ever feel right though as I have OCD and always feel that I'm missing something, it's hard to explain.

Lately I have had younger men asking me out which is extremely flattering but I have a dp and am happy.

think I'm at the start of a mid life crisis

paranoidpammywhammy2 Wed 20-Sep-17 23:22:45

Confidence, good hair and skin and dressing well always makes a huge difference.

StefMay Wed 20-Sep-17 23:23:08

I think it is down to confidence. Learn to be kind to yourself and love yourself; be kind to others and this will make you more attractive to others. I know a few physically attractive people who are ugly as they are not kind people.

I've accepted myself and confidence is the what makes you pretty in other people's eyes! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

RinonaWyder Wed 20-Sep-17 23:23:50

Like PPs braces made a big difference for me. That and starting to dress a bit more girly. I wasn't really into clothes as a teenager, still not now really but I do at least know what stuff suits me and I make more effort with hair and make up now. I do think I've blossomed at least a bit, some school photos were god awful!

DJBaggySmalls Wed 20-Sep-17 23:25:12

Yes. I went through a really hideous ugly duckling phase and it knocked my confidence for six. It wore off as I grew into my features but I've never trusted looks. They dont mean anything and everyone loses them as time passes.

GardenGeek Wed 20-Sep-17 23:25:23

Haha I did for a few years, now I am back to an ugly stage.

Wayfarersonbaby Wed 20-Sep-17 23:35:26

Yes, I did - I was plain as a child and downright unattractive as a teenager, but pretty in my 20s and then turned into quite stunning in my late 20s and early 30s. I suddenly got a whole ton of attention I had never been used to before, and it's like a feedback loop - you are more confident and dress and carry yourself better and that all helps.

Unfortunately, I had a baby, put on 4 stone, had no sleep for 4 years and now am unattractive again in my 40s! It was quite a wrench to lose the new-found attractiveness so quickly. I wish I had known that often women look their best in their 30s but that it suddenly fades - I'd have enjoyed it more sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now