Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Have you been on a cruise?

(91 Posts)
Cameblackbenzleftwhite1 Wed 20-Sep-17 22:17:29

Would you recommend it? Where did you go?

A friend wants to go away on one together and I'm half interested. The other half of me thinks it's looks quite tacky with the Vegas shows and bingo. Also everyone I know that goes on a cruise comes back significantly heavier with all the buffets.

It's about 60pp for 14 nights around Europe for an internal room that looks pretty grim with no window! Or 77pp for the same with a window. Does it seem mad to want the more expensive room just for a window?

QueenofLouisiana Wed 20-Sep-17 22:24:59

Go for the window! I've been in an internal cabin and the lack of natural light isn't great.

We cruised around the Canaries at Easter- included Morocco and Madeira. It was great, especially watching the dolphins, whales and turtles off the side of the boat.

Excellent service, range of food- including salads etc. DS was happy, my parents joined us and loved it, we had a wonderful rest. We did a wine tasting lesson, a photography session (taking the photos) and watched a couple of the shows- no bingo!

zzzzz Wed 20-Sep-17 22:27:51

If your over 70, then maybe. I've been on several and there are far nicer places to be.

Bloodybridget Wed 20-Sep-17 22:29:52

£60 pp for 14 nights???

GeneandFred Wed 20-Sep-17 22:31:03

Used to work on them.

Get a cabin with a port hole. No bingo on my old ships. Yes you will probably put on weight. Every ship is different with regards to entertainment. Some don't have any and some have shows that rival West end..... And actual Broadway and west end shows. All depends.

kizzywizz Wed 20-Sep-17 22:33:26

Pay the extra for the window. I love cruising, my sister in law and I go twice a year, just us , we leave the men at home dog sitting ! . We go in may or sept/oct and then a christmas markets cruise in dec. We have a fantastic time and we laugh from the minute we get on board until the minute we get off.

applespearsbears Wed 20-Sep-17 22:37:22

Have you been watching Cruising with Jane McDonald on channel five? It's my new thing, you can watch it on 5 on demand it's great. Almost tempted me...

HandbagCrazy Wed 20-Sep-17 22:42:26

I'm another one that enjoys it - not every year but every 4 or 5 years.
Definitely pay for the window! You never know what you may be able to see.

We've done a Baltic cruise and a Norwegian Fjord one. Both were amazing.

Food can be lavish however, there are healthy option. Also have gyms on most ships now, or you could walk it all off around the places you stop at.

Entertainment has been great on the ones we've been on, but you can give it a miss if it's not your thing. There are generally several bars / lounges etc so you just pick the one that suits what you want.

Also - I have not played bingo and am under 35 so not just an old people holiday either!!

budgiegirl Wed 20-Sep-17 22:48:47

Love cruises! Have been on several, sometimes with the kids, sometimes without. We've been in every type of cabin, from suites with a butler, to inside with no windows.

I'd say its worth paying for a window. I really wasn't keen on an inside cabin, it's lovely waking up in the morning and looking out to see what's out there.

ZanyMobster Wed 20-Sep-17 22:58:29

We have been on loads. Definitely not for 70 year olds, entertainment to suit everyone. Can't recommend highly enough. Huge variety of food, I usually put on about 4 or 5lbs in 2 weeks but that is because I drink every day. When I was pregnant I put on 2lbs in total as no alcohol.

hellokittymania Wed 20-Sep-17 23:08:51

I had a very good friend who was the food and beverage manager on the Carnival ship so I went through the Panama Canal on a 14 day cruise as a crew family member, which was fantastic. I was only 20 years old though, and I wouldn't go on a cruise now by myself. I am visually impaired and I love exploring and languages, so I would probably go off the ship and start wandering in some foreign land and still be wondering when the ship leaves. 😂 I don't really want to have to deal with the discrimination either by companies who think that people like myself can't travel alone.

There is a lot to do though, you can visit many places at once and there is an abundance of food and drinks at anytime of the day. Because I looked so young and I was on a cruise in November, I was also able to access the children's club and the teenage things as well and it was really really good. There weren't many children on the ship when I went.

The cruise I went on started in California, stopped at three places in Mexico, Costa Rica, Columbia although nobody was able to get off of the ship for safety reasons, Jamaica. I have very good memories of it, the captain and many of the higher officers were Italian and it was right before I moved to Italy and I loved italian so I spoke to all of them in Italian! Good fun

Cameblackbenzleftwhite1 Thu 21-Sep-17 09:37:52

Wow thanks all, I guess I have to try it! Glad to hear the window isnt wasted money as it would drive me mad not having natural light where I sleep for two weeks.

On a budget cruise like mine the food is all inclusive or you can pay for some places. Will it be any good and varied? Or should have bring snacks and plan to eat off board? 50 per night including all food does sound too cheap

Cameblackbenzleftwhite1 Thu 21-Sep-17 09:38:02

Wow thanks all, I guess I have to try it! Glad to hear the window isnt wasted money as it would drive me mad not having natural light where I sleep for two weeks.

On a budget cruise like mine the food is all inclusive or you can pay for some places. Will it be any good and varied? Or should have bring snacks and plan to eat off board? 50 per night including all food does sound too cheap

ZanyMobster Thu 21-Sep-17 15:35:48

What cruise liner is it?

picklemepopcorn Thu 21-Sep-17 15:46:24

I don't pay for a window. We only sleep in the cabin, we spend the rest of the time up and about on the ship.
We love them, teen DCs love them, but for us it's all about where they go.

picklemepopcorn Thu 21-Sep-17 15:46:56

Be aware that there is often a daily service charge. You need to know how much it is as it can really add up.

Sirzy Thu 21-Sep-17 15:48:21

I have done 3 cruises and love it.

Happy to have an inside cabin. It's somewhere to dress and sleep but other than that we don't spend much time in there so don't see the point of paying out.

Titsywoo Thu 21-Sep-17 15:49:20

We went on a Disney cruise in the Bahamas. It was brilliant! Obviously not for 70 year olds at all. The kids club were brill and the adult only areas were lovely. Food was pretty good but from what my parents have said things like Celebrity Cruise are better for that. I loved stopping at new places everyday - I get bored on your average resort holiday. I'd love to go again when we can afford it. I don't think I do a cheap cruiseline though.

Cameblackbenzleftwhite1 Thu 21-Sep-17 20:23:23

Daily service charge? I've just seen something about automatic tipping of £5 a day. Is that normal?

Oh no now people are saying inside cabins are fine 😂

iklboo Thu 21-Sep-17 20:30:11

We've been on a few and love it. The food is very varied - no need to take snacks on board or eat off ship.

picklemepopcorn Thu 21-Sep-17 20:31:54

It's per person too, not per cabin. It can really mount up. You need to be aware of it.

iklboo Thu 21-Sep-17 20:35:05

You can ask not to pay the daily charge and just tip what you feel at the end on a lot of cruise lines.

Cameblackbenzleftwhite1 Thu 21-Sep-17 20:36:10

Oh I see is £5 a day per person normal?

It does seem funny that it's called a tip when it says it's automatically added to your bill confused

Goshthatwentwell Thu 21-Sep-17 20:50:34

The staff work VERY hard and on ships that "include" tips in the price have less friendly service on the whole. The extra tips get distributed to customer facing staff. The drink waiters get commission on every drink they do hence the ready supply of drinks whilst lying on your lounger.

I've been on a few and the only bit I really like is visiting amazing places on the cheap.Great to suss out places to go back to.
Ships are all a bit tacky.

Having an inside is odd but you really aren't in them long. However a balcony is amazing. You can sunbathe, eat meals away from the crowds outside,what the sail always etc I would only do an inside or balcony. Not sure a windo adds much.

Mum2jenny Thu 21-Sep-17 21:01:17

Done a cruise once as a fill in for an ill friend and I really enjoyed it (didn't expect to though). I think it may depend on where you go, potential activities available and what facilities are in the cruise ship. I'd definitely go on a cruise again although my dh isn't keen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now