Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why do I suffer with such gross wind most nights?!

(47 Posts)
FartyMcFartFace Wed 20-Sep-17 22:00:40

Apologies for the grim thread. Have obviously name changed to save embarrassment, and posted in Chat so it'll disappear.

I think my husband is going to divorce me if I don't get to the bottom (!) of my stinky wind issue. It occurs most evenings. Maybe it's because I'm eating too much veg, but I'm on a health kick and enjoying them.

Anyone else managed to discover what foods are triggers and avoid? I sometimes think its onion, or broccoli (cruciferous veg in general is going to cause trouble; happens every Sunday) or sugar. But I've tried cutting these out and still stink the house out of an evening sad

Any info or tips appreciated!

troodiedoo Wed 20-Sep-17 22:04:15

If I eat too much refined carbs and fat together I get awful wind. Mostly bread is the culprit.

Ozzde Wed 20-Sep-17 22:08:40

When I first turned vegan my wind was horrendous and got a very uncomfortable bloated stomach most nights. Tbh I think it was just a shock to the system eating so much veg and settled down after about a month. The usual culprits of beans and seeded bread would still get me sometimes.

FartyMcFartFace Wed 20-Sep-17 22:09:34

Today I've had:

Weetabix and a banana
An apple
Chicken and prawn stir-fry
A Freddo (whoops)
Four small meatballs in homemade tomato sauce, served with a small portion of brown pasta, broccoli, sugar snaps, baby corn and carrots.

A bowl of ice-cream blush

NorthStarAtMyFeet Wed 20-Sep-17 22:13:35

If you don't get to the bottom of it (pun intended) you can get "flatulence filter" undies and pajamas but they are a bit pricey imo - Google myshreddies.

QueenMortificado Wed 20-Sep-17 22:15:19

I really think it's the shock to your system of change

I eat really healthily now so if I spend a few days on the carbs I, errrr, feel the affects.

ILoveDolly Wed 20-Sep-17 22:16:51

Broccoli would do it for me. Actually what am I saying, anything too fatty or too much veg, or pulses, or anything with onion does it for me. So basically I just fart a lot and I don't care all that much.

SpoonfulOfJam Wed 20-Sep-17 22:18:33

DH's arse stinks. Whatever he eats.

Charcoal capsules from holland and Barrett helped.

FartyMcFartFace Wed 20-Sep-17 22:19:20

Hmm, I dunno. I've done Slimming World on/off over the years, which means I'm used to eating lots of fruit and veg.

I've always had this problem, my Mum and sister are bad too. Wondering if I've got a slight intolerance to dairy or something?? Can you pay to get tested for intolerances somewhere?

opheliacat Wed 20-Sep-17 22:21:05

It'll be dairy, i think

is that you, dh

FartyMcFartFace Wed 20-Sep-17 22:21:15

Ooh. Charcoal capsules you say? I shall investigate - thanks.

NorthStarAtMyFeet I've heard of those - they sound ridiculous don't they?! Cheaper than a divorce tho grin

NeonFlower Wed 20-Sep-17 22:21:42

From NHS site

Some carbohydrates in food can't be digested and absorbed by the intestines. These pass down into your colon to be broken down by bacteria, producing gas, which is released as flatulence.
Foods containing a high amount of unabsorbable carbohydrates include:
beans
broccoli
cabbage
cauliflower
artichokes
raisins
pulses
lentils
onions
prunes
apples
Brussels sprouts
Foods containing a lot of unrefined cereal fibre, such as bran, can also sometimes cause problems with wind and bloating.
Other foods and drinks that contain a sweetener called sorbitol (such as sugar-free gum or slimming products) or a type of sugar called fructose (such as fruit juice) can also cause flatulence. This means chewing sugar-free gum can cause flatulence from both the sweetener and swallowing air.
Certain foods, such as cabbage or onions, can lead to the production of gases containing sulphur, which can result in foul-smelling wind. However, the production of smelly wind can vary from person to person depending on what you eat, so it's up to you to work out which foods cause the most smell.

FartyMcFartFace Wed 20-Sep-17 22:23:17

ILoveDolly I've just realised I had onion and broccoli for lunch and dinner. Whoops.

Oh god I hope it's not dairy. I live on porridge/Weetabix, cheese and yoghurt! Not to mention around four cups of tea a day with a small dash of milk.

FartyMcFartFace Wed 20-Sep-17 22:28:28

Thanks NeonFlower. It's either the onions or maybe dairy then.

opheliacat Wed 20-Sep-17 22:29:35

Try soya for porridge and in your tea smile

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 20-Sep-17 22:31:47

Chicken and meatballs make me smell terrible.

Calphurnia Wed 20-Sep-17 22:32:36

Sounds like it could be symptoms of IBS. I had awful wind plus bloating, pain, etc.

I was referred by GP to a dietitian who recommended a low FODMAP diet.

Some of it is very counter intuitive, especially when one thinks of eating 'healthily' e.g. the wholemeal pasta you had would trigger symptoms more than white.

Definitely worth a Google for you.

My symptoms are massively relieved, and I know my own triggers much better

Hope your bum settles down soon

ShakeTheDisease Wed 20-Sep-17 22:35:03

It's as the NHS says. Vegetables. They're good for you, but they're hard for the gut to break down and that causes the wind. One thing that can help is cutting them up smaller as then you're doing some of the processing work for your colon. It's variable, but you could try it.

Everytimeref Wed 20-Sep-17 22:36:33

Don't change to soya milk I think it's something to do with the sugars. Try lactose free milk instead.

AdoraBell Wed 20-Sep-17 22:39:07

Gluten does it to me, and DH.

FartyMcFartFace Wed 20-Sep-17 22:39:33

opheliacat I have a friend who only has soya milk in her house. I've tried it in tea a couple of times and can't drink it, it's horrible. Think I'd just limit my tea/open a window wink

Calphurnia I've often wondered if it's mild IBS. I do sometimes get bloated, but wouldn't say it's painful. Will have a Google - thank you.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower maybe it was the meatballs then? Gah. Could be anything.

Oh, I know to avoid popcorn like the plague, that sets me right off. And it seems worse near my TOTM. Curious.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Wed 20-Sep-17 22:45:04

Cheese is the worst for me.

Raw milk, like in ice cream, cream, normal milk in tea also bad.

All forms of beans cause a riot in my guts.

When I gave up milk, my energy levels skyrocketed and I lost a ton of weight with almost zero effort.

If I were you I'd try a paleo diet for a month to see what happens. Afterwards, as you add foods back into your diet, you'll quickly spot those that are a problem.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Wed 20-Sep-17 22:45:56

Butter popcorn?

thecakefairy Wed 20-Sep-17 22:46:10

Lots of veggies give you wind but dairy makes it extra smelly!
I am always windy in the evening but I avoid dairy (when I'm being good) and the smell is tolerable!

MichaelFabricantsHair Wed 20-Sep-17 22:49:25

Pickled onions make me fart like a bison, as do peas. Once ate a whole bag of pea pods and DH said he was considering sleeping outside. He's a fine one to talk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now