Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you let a Y6 child walk home from school...

(48 Posts)
FunkinEll Wed 20-Sep-17 20:58:36

.....at 3.15 and be alone in the house until 4/ 4.30. We are a 10 min walk from school.

How about in the morning from 8 am until needing to walk to school at 8.35?

I'm just trying to work out what, of any, before/ after school care I'll need for my son if I go to uni next September.

His younger brothers will go to breakfast club and after school club I think.

opheliacat Wed 20-Sep-17 21:00:04

I think it is a bit young by today's standards.

Ankleswingers Wed 20-Sep-17 21:00:27

No

Henrythehoover Wed 20-Sep-17 21:00:40

I was just about to say my yr5 d's walks to school for breakfast club at 8am and home at with 3.10 or 4 but I am always there when he leaves or gets home so it's a bit different.

cingolimama Wed 20-Sep-17 21:02:03

I think it very much depends on the child. I did this with my DD and it was completely fine - she enjoyed the time on her own, actually. But she's quite a sensible kid. My darling nephew, on the other hand.... not sure that would work.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 20-Sep-17 21:03:22

DS started walking home in yr 5, but I was home to meet him. Then in summer term of yr 6 we gave him a key and he walked home and let himself in once or twice a week, home alone for about an hour to 90mins.

ReachOutAndTouchDave Wed 20-Sep-17 21:04:54

With my own kids, I know their responsibility levels. Walking home, yes I would. Getting to school in the morning, no I wouldn't. I'd be worried about locking up and leaving on time. I think it depends on the child though.

RidiculousDiversion Wed 20-Sep-17 21:05:59

The walk yes, the coming home to an empty house only if there was back-up in case of lost keys / getting scared / power cut etc. So if you've got a neighbour who he knows and trusts I'd consider it. Otherwise I think it's probably breakfast and after school club - maybe with him trying it out one day a week if you can arrange back-up or work from home for one day.

Leeds2 Wed 20-Sep-17 21:08:08

When my DD was at primary (she is now 19), the school wouldn't release them if an adult wasn't there. Never bothered me, but a friend got very irate about it but, ultimately, was forced to toe the line or the DC was put into after school club (which charged), Her child still walked to school by themselves though, and school could do nothing about it.

In your case, if you think DS is reliable enough to cope, then do it. Personally, I would probably put him in breakfast club too, but let him come home by himself just to see if he was coping. Back in the 70's, this wasn't an issue, and I was one of those kids who wore a key on a chain around her neck, but I think these days you need to think about whether your DS would be ok with it.

Hardlyhangingon Wed 20-Sep-17 21:08:58

Nope
Wouldn't even contemplate it

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 20-Sep-17 21:10:08

I would wait until he is older for the mornings - he will be locking the house up for the day, quite a responsibility. My 12yr old manages now, but it is just for a short time until I get home from different school run.

May50 Wed 20-Sep-17 21:12:13

My children walked themselves year 6, but didn't have a key so someone was in when they got home. I'd also be worried that they'd lock up properly in the morning if left to their own devices. Key only given from year 8, so age 12.

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 20-Sep-17 21:13:39

Depends on the child, I don't think it's a straight no if they can be trusted not to start cooking or messing about with matches or whatever.

DNephew is that age and he's now started walking that sort of distance alone and if he was in the house alone for an hour or so, he would be on his tablet and not notice whether others were there or not.

Genuinely interested as to what has changed to make it unacceptable now compared with times past.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 20-Sep-17 21:14:28

Yes I don't think I'm happy with locking up the house on his own just yet (just started yr 7)

When DS walked home on his own he knew he could knock on neighbours door if there was a problem (I warned her he might do, but he never needed to)

3luckystars Wed 20-Sep-17 21:14:32

What age is the child?

FunkinEll Wed 20-Sep-17 21:15:56

Thanks for everyone's input.

He's very sensible and conscientious so I'm not too worried there. I think I feel better about him walking home than going to school as I think he'd struggle more with the time keeping element in the mornings.

The walk to school is a nice one and the crossing he'd have to do has a zebra crossing. I think he'd have mates to walk home with next year too.

Our school allow children to walk home from school (with permission) from Y5 and they are allowed to walk siblings in Y4 home too. They actively encourage it from Y6 so that they're ready for secondary which usually involves busses and walking.

I'm thinking breakfast club and then walking home would work. Lots of days I'll be home in time for pick up but there will be days when I won't be back until 4ish. Oh and it's only 3 days a week which I forgot to mention previously.

FunkinEll Wed 20-Sep-17 21:16:35

He'll be year 6 and 10 years old.

SocksRock Wed 20-Sep-17 21:18:45

My Y5 daughter has a key one day a week. She gets home at 4.20 after a club and I'm home about 4.45. She knows all the neighbours and can go to them, she's not allowed to use the stove (we have a stove top kettle and she likes to drink tea), basically she comes home and watches TV for 25min.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 20-Sep-17 21:18:49

My colleague does this a couple of days a week. She has a very sensible child. Like others have said, it very much depends on the child. If they have an iPhone and yiu do, you can set up find my friends so that it tells you when they arrive and leave home and school. Useful, if you're not there.

Will they have family or friends nearby if they need help?

Girliefriendlikesflowers Wed 20-Sep-17 21:18:52

I think that would be fine, my dd has just started doing similar as has started secondary but i would have considered it fine from year 6.

pancakesfortea Wed 20-Sep-17 21:20:26

No one bats an eyelid at this for year 7, including those like my kids who are the very youngest in the year. So a September born child year 6 would be basically the same age. Depends on their maturity etc but I think there would definitely be some kids it would be ok for, and several kids in our primary school did it.

Loopy9 Wed 20-Sep-17 21:31:30

Our school encourages yr6 to walk home. My DS walks home 3 afternoons a week. He's home about 20-30 mins before anyone else. We don't do mornings yet but possibly in the summer term we might. He had to cross 2 roads and if pretty sensible. He also wants to walk on his own too. Good luck with uni.

Hassled Wed 20-Sep-17 21:35:43

The afternoon plan sounds fine. And it'll be good for him - High School comes as a hell of a shock for a lot of kids and I think in part it's because they go from zero independence to this massive expectation of independence.

The morning bit I'm less sure about, but I don't really know why. Would he lock up OK? Would he lose track of time? It's one of those things that is really so dependent on the copped-on-ness of the child involved.

TeenTimesTwo Wed 20-Sep-17 21:39:16

Yes, if he is happy.
Presumably he could go back to school if he ever lost his key and wait with his siblings?

Temporaryanonymity Wed 20-Sep-17 21:40:14

My yr 6 does this, and is by himself until I get home around 5. He knows what to do if something goes wrong (neighbours, grandparents a few streets away) good prep for senior school. He loves it and won't go to after school club now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now