Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you lock your door(s) when you're in the house?

(255 Posts)
FrankyStein Wed 20-Sep-17 20:30:22

Prompted by a few threads

So, it's midday or whatever and you're in your house. You're cleaning or watching tv or having a cheeky nap, whatever.

Is your door locked? Front/and or back? Or could anyone just walk in if they chose to?

My front door is locked but my back foot is always unlocked until we go to bed. I thought this was the norm

Is it? Is everyone really locking themselves in during the day?

FrankyStein Wed 20-Sep-17 20:30:58

*door not foot!

DeliciouslyHella Wed 20-Sep-17 20:32:01

We keep our doors locked, but only because we have a very curious toddler who would merrily let herself out for an explore if the opportunity was there.

dementedpixie Wed 20-Sep-17 20:32:46

I lock the front door if I'm upstairs doing stuff. It's not locked if I'm downstairs. Back door unlocked if cats are out

FrankyStein Wed 20-Sep-17 20:32:55

I understand if you've got very young children you need to keep an eye on

FrankyStein Wed 20-Sep-17 20:33:40

Pixie - would you lock door as you went upstairs and then un lock when you came down?

WhooshYeah Wed 20-Sep-17 20:34:00

My DH always makes fun of me that I 'lock us all in'.
He says I read too much 'take a break' etc. (I don't even read that mag or any other)

I just feel safer.

Letmesleepalready Wed 20-Sep-17 20:34:10

All locked up here. Our old place only had a front door that automatically locked shut. This place we have to turn the key to look. A few times the postman has had to put parcels through the window as I keep misplacing my keys. Not great for fire safety!

Hookedoncatnip Wed 20-Sep-17 20:34:19

I lock our front door due to an adventurous toddler as pp said.

ToadsforJustice Wed 20-Sep-17 20:34:51

Yes. We keep our back and front doors locked at all times. I don't want anyone just walking in.

HorticultureTwat Wed 20-Sep-17 20:36:10

Always locked here unless I'm stepping through the door to go in/out grin I've been broken into before and now religious about home security

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 20-Sep-17 20:36:26

We keep the back locked and the front is an auto-locking system great except for when it shuts behind you when you nip to the car

In our previous house, which was a much rougher area, we didn't lock the door when home. Never felt the need to other than at night.

Smeaton Wed 20-Sep-17 20:36:31

Back door always locked, front door locked when were done coming and going for the day, when out, in bed etc.

Bubblysqueak Wed 20-Sep-17 20:36:57

Front door yale lock back door usually wide open as have very big dog.

IWantACheeseburger Wed 20-Sep-17 20:37:54

Yep doors always locked here.
To keep the kids in and because I have had people try the handle before and it freaks me out!
I am terrible for locking tradesmen in though and they always look a bit freaked out when they try to leave and the doors locked! It's just habit though!

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Wed 20-Sep-17 20:37:57

Of course it's locked. I wouldn't ever be in the house at any time without all the doors locked, even though we live in a very low crime area.

Figgygal Wed 20-Sep-17 20:38:26

If I'm downstairs no but if I'm upstairs for any length of time I do

TizzyDongue Wed 20-Sep-17 20:39:11

My front door can't be opened from the outside without a key once it's closed.

Back door is open sometimes. If there's reason for people to be going out more than once then it tends to be unlocked. If I were home alone and going upstairs for a while I'd lock it.

UnFuckingAcceptable Wed 20-Sep-17 20:39:17

Locked.
Live in a nice area but our neighbour had cash taken from her kitchen last year. She'd left it on side where she'd counted it out, was a loan from her sister that she was going to take to bank, substantial amount.
Some opportunistic bastard had just walked in, swiped the cash and buggered off.
Police said most burglaries are 'while they are passing' types not masterminded plans iyswim

Ttbb Wed 20-Sep-17 20:39:24

Yes of course. We live in a built up area. Our front door open up right out into the street and it is possible to jump our back wall. Why take the risk?

frenchfancy17 Wed 20-Sep-17 20:39:35

Always. Front and back.

eloisesparkle Wed 20-Sep-17 20:40:42

Both locked if I'm home alone.
There is a released from prison serial rapist who walks through our area.

NerdyBird Wed 20-Sep-17 20:41:02

Front door has a yale lock and barrel lock but we don't turn the barrel one as no-one can get in without a key. Back doors are generally locked unless the cat wants to go out.

PickAChew Wed 20-Sep-17 20:41:14

Always locked. Partly because of 11 year old with ASD who likes to go and look into people's houses but mostly because it's a deep house not particularly overlooked and it would be easy for someone to wander in and help themselves. That's never happened here, but my mum had her own handbag stolen out of her kitchen by an opportunist thief, a few years back.

user1486076969 Wed 20-Sep-17 20:42:05

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now