Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Have I been vaccinated unnecessarily??

(29 Posts)
xrayyankeezulu Wed 20-Sep-17 20:24:34

Random but.....

I went to the practice nurse today for a contraceptive pill check. While I was there she said that the system showed I needed the MMR vaccine. I asked why I would need it if I'd had all childhood vaccines & she said if you were born before a certain date you hadn't received the full immunisation.

I was born in 1984, DM swears blind I had all childhood ones at the right time. If it's the case that a lot of people haven't had them then shouldn't they be writing to inform people??

FWIW she gave me the injection & have to go back next month for the second one, better to be save than sorry but I just haven't come across any one else that's needed it??

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 20-Sep-17 20:26:00

Did she say what the date was?

Phosphorus Wed 20-Sep-17 20:26:20

There was a cohort who only received one part of the vaccine, I guess you were one of that number.

Leatherboundanddown Wed 20-Sep-17 20:28:12

A friend who was born in 1984 got seriously ill last year with measles and nearly died. Turns out yes, there were people in the 80s that had incomplete immunisations.

Trills Wed 20-Sep-17 20:28:27

It's true.

I was also born in 1984.

You had all the childhood ones at the right time, but there was a shortage of the mumps vaccine. So we only had MR, not MMR. I remember getting a sticker in school saying "I've had the MR jab" (which we thought was hilarious to say as the Mister Jab)

There was a mumps outbreak at UK universities in 2004/2005 (when I was there), and a lot of universities set up mass vaccination programs. So I got my mumps vaccine aged 20ish.

xrayyankeezulu Wed 20-Sep-17 20:28:51

No hiding she just said if you born during 'certain dates' I should of asked really.

thequeenofsandwich Wed 20-Sep-17 20:32:17

I started a new job recently. Occupational Health gave me the MMR and booster. I was born in 1968....

Stellato Wed 20-Sep-17 20:32:18

This is what they would be following I assume:
library.nhsggc.org.uk/mediaAssets/PHPU/Table%20for%20measles%20vaccine%20recommendations.pdf

Since MMR was introduced in 1988 you might only have had one dose?

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Wed 20-Sep-17 20:33:31

The MMR was introduced in 1985, I know because my sister was one of the first to have it. I was born in 1981 and had single measles vaccines, then rubella when I was 15. I actually had mumps along with most of my class in infants so assume I didn't have the vaccine as a baby. I was later offered an MMR around 10 years ago as part of a catch up programme. So yes it probably was necessary.

Teenybooboo Wed 20-Sep-17 20:35:18

Just backing up what others have said. I was born in '82. When I was in uni 2003-2006 there was a big outbreak of mumps which I caught, the nurse told me off for not coming in for the booster jab as there had been posters all over campus but I had checked with my mum and she just said that I had had everything they recommended at the time.

So I would say that it is necessary that you have the jab, you don't want to be getting mumps, measles or rubella, especially as an adult.

AccrualIntentions Wed 20-Sep-17 20:35:39

I was part of the cohort as a child who hadn't had it, then when I was at university there was a really serious mumps outbreak and I had to have it then. If I hadn't already, I'd rather get it.

Saralyn Wed 20-Sep-17 20:36:33

I think it's because the MMR was only introduced in the UK in 1988. Therefore you would not have had it as a small child.

I am a little older than you and did not have a dose as a toddler, only when I was in primary school. You are meant to have two doeses in total. In the UK given at one year and at three years old.

When I studied in England there was mumps going around UK unis and there were posters around campus recommending to have the second dose now if you had only had one dose as a child. So I went to the nurse and had the vaccine. ( a friend of mine didn't and he got mumps).

So sounds similar to my experience, except that you haven't had any doeses (since the vaccine wasn't used in the UK then) and therefore will have two now.

Saralyn Wed 20-Sep-17 20:37:28

I type way too slow....

SocksRock Wed 20-Sep-17 20:42:18

My sisters who are 1982 and 1984 had top ups. I'm 1978 and didn't...

Jfw82 Wed 20-Sep-17 21:23:40

I'm 1982 and have had single measles and rubella but never had more or mumps jab- my uni did a program my 3rd year (when I was abroad so I missed it) as mumps was about and our age group was vulnerable not having had mms

Jfw82 Wed 20-Sep-17 21:24:19

Mmr not more/mms stupid autocorrect!

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Wed 20-Sep-17 21:28:14

I was born in 1984 and was told by my IVF clinic that I'm not immune to rubella (they test patients' immunity, not sure why). I had one MMR shot then got pregnant with DS before getting the second dose so now I've had him I need to go and sort it before TTC DC2. Thanks for the timely reminder!

QuackDuckQuack Wed 20-Sep-17 21:32:49

If you tell your GP that you are TTC then they will test your rubella immunity as the impact of catching it while pregnant can be severe. I don't think that's restricted to going for IVF.

I don't think that applies to you at the moment OP, but they probably like to cover all women of childbearing age as obviously not everyone who conceives does so intentionally.

HaHaHmm Wed 20-Sep-17 21:38:30

I was born in 1984 and was told by my IVF clinic that I'm not immune to rubella (they test patients' immunity, not sure why)

Because rubella in pregnancy can be absolutely catastrophic. Really all women who are TTC in whatever way should be tested but most don't go to their doctor first.

LilQueenie Wed 20-Sep-17 21:38:58

I only had one dose and Im up to date so not sure how this works.

travelmad Wed 20-Sep-17 21:42:07

I was born in 86 and was of the cohort who only had one dose. There was a mumps outbreak at my university in 2004 and everyone who had only had one dose had to go get a booster.

moneymoneynone Wed 20-Sep-17 21:43:41

I was born in 1982....fm said she didn't allow me to have whooping cough vaccine she also said there was NO measles vaccine then.....is this incorrect ?

LaContessaDiPlump Wed 20-Sep-17 21:49:33

I was born in 1981. My (stupid) first midwife didn't fill in MMR status on my maternity notes and I (naively believing she wasn't fucking stupid) never thought to go through the notes carefully enough to notice.

I spent my whole 1st pregnancy working in a huge fucking hospital, and it turns out I wasn't protected against measles, mumps or rubella during that time. I got the vaccination 2 hours after DS1 was born.

Just typing it makes me angry. At least I could have avoided ill people if I'd fucking KNOWN!

I will say for balance that every other midwife I've ever met has been kind and intelligent....

Sirzy Wed 20-Sep-17 21:53:18

I was born in 1984 and had to have a dose as a young adult as I had only got one a a child

Stellato Wed 20-Sep-17 21:55:48

From the green book on vaccinations:
www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/148498/Green-Book-Chapter-28-v2_0.pdf

"The decision on when to vaccinate other adults needs to take into consideration the past vaccination history, the likelihood of an individual remaining susceptible and the future risk of exposure and disease:
● individuals who were born between 1980 and 1990 may not be protected against mumps but are likely to be vaccinated against measles and rubella. They may never have received a mumps-containing vaccine or had only one dose of MMR, and had limited opportunity for exposure to natural mumps. They should be recalled and given MMR vaccine. If this is their first dose, a further dose of MMR should be given from one month later."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now