Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Someone come and hold my baby

(67 Posts)
Spogget Wed 20-Sep-17 19:52:07

So I can get the housework done and have a shower and maybe cook a decent meal and eat it with a knife and fork while it's still hot. I want to put my older child to bed and read him a story and snuggle him without the baby screaming because I've dared to put him down for 5 minutes. He's got the same cold I have so I know he's feeling rubbish but I need to get stuff done.

My filthy house is depressing me. I'm so embarrassed by it. I feel sorry for DC1 because he's told me he feels so sad I don't have much time for him anymore. 😭
I am bored and lonely and I want just 30 minutes to be Spogget again and not a milk machine with a baby constantly attached to me.

People like holding babies don't they? Someone come and give my arms a rest!

EnidButton Wed 20-Sep-17 19:54:09

Is your DP around?

I'm sorry you're having a tough day. flowers

byronicheroine Wed 20-Sep-17 19:54:23

Yes please, where are you? I'll travel in the m25.
Also - this too shall pass. Mine are 7 and 4 and I'm always chasing them round for a cuddle

MoMandaS Wed 20-Sep-17 19:56:01

Homestart? Sling? Where are you? flowers, I know it's tough. You just have to muddle through.

SingaSong12 Wed 20-Sep-17 19:57:21

I'd be too worried of dropping the baby or how to soothe a baby (don't worry I don't have any DC). I don't mind doing some tidying and hoovering though. So if you can get someone confident with babies might give you time with DC1.

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 20-Sep-17 19:58:14

I like holding babies!! Where do you live?

SingaSong12 Wed 20-Sep-17 19:58:15

Meanwhile flowers

MyBrilliantDisguise Wed 20-Sep-17 19:58:32

North west here - broody and with a sat nav!

Spogget Wed 20-Sep-17 19:58:49

I'm up north and it's just me. Family hundreds of miles away. I miss them so much right now. I'm so lonely.

Xeneth88 Wed 20-Sep-17 19:59:56

If you're near me then I'm there, well I'd probably just let you snuggle up with your baby and clean up etc for you. Have you tried homestart? Maybe a neighbour or friend. Its so scary to ask for help but I think most people are more than happy to help if asked.

Josiah Wed 20-Sep-17 20:00:03

I had a baby rocking chair that I could put baby in after feeding and rock her to sleep with my left foot whilst I snuggled up on sofa with my son and chatted, read books with him or watched tv.

That helped me have time with my son. Who was almost 3 when his sister was born.

SingaSong12 Wed 20-Sep-17 20:00:41

You could post in local.

eyesonme Wed 20-Sep-17 20:01:32

Be kind to yourself it's such a hard time.
Leave the housework (within reason) do little when you can.
Can you give dc1 time when baby is in bed?

I'm up north, would love to hold a baby again, dc3 just started reception 😟

Xeneth88 Wed 20-Sep-17 20:02:00

Cross post, sadly I'm no where near. Maybe post on MN local or try and go to some mum and baby groups (I was a single mum from pregnancy) and build a little network. All the best OP.

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 20-Sep-17 20:02:02

Can you get a cleaner? or a mothers help type thing? Where is baby's dad?

Spogget Wed 20-Sep-17 20:02:33

I tried washing up with him in the sling but could barely reach the tap to turn it on or stuff in the bottom of the sink. I did some hoovering. I've got piles and piles of washing to sort and put away but can't bend down with him in the sling or the buckle carrier. Tips appreciated though!

MrsZB Wed 20-Sep-17 20:03:19

I would love to come round and help.

This time will pass but until it does do whatever you need to guilt free to make it easier for yourself.

CaptWentworth Wed 20-Sep-17 20:03:25

Set up 'stations' around the house. A mat/blanket with couple of toys, about 4 depending on the size of your house. Rotate around house doing jobs, put baby on the mat. When he gets bored and starts crying, move to different station. I find changing location/toys keeps mine quieter for longer.

Could DC1 help you? Go round together and do things, make it a game?

RNBrie Wed 20-Sep-17 20:03:42

Is your older one at school? Are you on maternity leave/not working? Can you up sticks and go and see your family? I did this after my second baby and it was ace.

GingerLemonTea Wed 20-Sep-17 20:05:28

Things to try...
Put baby in rocker/ buggy next to washing machine? That got mine to sleep a few times.
White noise app?

Ninjakittysmells Wed 20-Sep-17 20:06:54

Where up north are you?! I was a single parent and would practically throw Ds at people - if felt like such a mini break to have use of my arms again! I also own a cleaning agency so happy to help sort laundry and stuff too. I'm in newcastle if that helps any - hang on in there op! Ds is 5 now and whilst my house has never recovered, I do occasionally pee alone now!

PerfectlyPooPoo Wed 20-Sep-17 20:08:58

I felt the same when dd2 came. I just wanted to be able to put dd1 to bed like I always had instead having a baby attached.

Dd2 has just turned two and I can't believe how fast it's gone and how I miss my tiny little baby

flowers

How far up north? I'm near Paisley and will happily come and cuddle the baby for you.

ScarletBegonia1234 Wed 20-Sep-17 20:09:07

Have you tried a wrap type sling? Depending on size of baby it may be more practical for housework etc. Look up amawrap. I have a 7 week old and a toddler and the baby spent most of today in it so i could get stuff done (still got hardky anything done and am shattered so I feel your pain!)

gingergenius Wed 20-Sep-17 20:10:08

Aww my youngest is just about to turn 9 - I miss holding babies. Sorry it's a bit shit OP. It gets better eventually xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now