Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

It's my annual 'why is my birthday so shit' thread

(38 Posts)
SmileAndNod Wed 20-Sep-17 19:50:49

Every. Fucking. Year. It's such a disappointment. I'm not sure what I expect really but I'm just so fed up with it.
Everyone at work asking what did you get/ what are you doing to celebrate/ are you going for a special meal?
No I'm not. No one bothers really. Children are at school tomorrow so it's the usual daily routine. Ordered myself some bits (a hush dress, a bangle and a necklace) and all were hideous. HaD my hair done and it's too short I hate it. Nothing for dinner. Just crap, crap, crap.
Have given in and had a gin & tonic gin

Why are my birthdays always so awful. Is it just me?

SquedgieBeckenheim Wed 20-Sep-17 19:54:37

My birthdays always suck. I put so much effort into everyone else's and get so little in teturn. This year was the worst, but that's no one's fault (DD2 was in hospital)
I am going to start ignoring my birthday, then i can't be let down
[Flowers] happy birthday!

MyBreadIsEggy Wed 20-Sep-17 19:59:02

Mines going to be shit as well. It's very soon and DH is abroad with work, my toddler is being a right shit, baby is teething and grumpy....and now I've been struck down with some kind of flu-like lurgy hmm
Happy Fuckig Birthday.

NotMyMonkees Wed 20-Sep-17 20:01:34

I realised this year that my birthday is always shit because I expect it to be a bit more special than every other day of the year, when in reality it's just the same shit as always. As soon as the kids are old enough I think I'll plan a day out without them for my annual birthday treat!

user1471462290 Wed 20-Sep-17 20:08:57

Happy birthday flowers

I share your pain, my birthdays are always shit too, I've tried to stop caring but it upsets me every year

annandale Wed 20-Sep-17 20:09:28

I don't know, I plan stuff I know I will like and have a good time. Probably low expectations help - one year I asked for a bubble bath, a bottle of cava and a supermarket lemon cake. I then locked myself in the bathroom with all three and the radio. Great birthday! I'm lucky I have a partner to look after ds at the time though.

I've thrown parties (not often), gone to the movies with a friend, gone for a long country walk with dh. I will admit I would love it if dh would sort out the perfect birthday without my input but it's not likely to happen so [shrugs]

topcat2014 Wed 20-Sep-17 20:09:29

Embrace the shiteness I say - I did a big party for my 40th - am 46 in a few weeks and really don't care. I will take cakes in to work (it's law..), and ring mum. DC will make a card (which is the best bit for me), apart from that - normal day.

AlwaysDancing1234 Wed 20-Sep-17 20:11:25

Sorry for all of you having shit birthdays, I feel that way on my birthday too. Not expecting to go to the Ritz or have expensive presents but just tea and toast in bed and to not have to wash up after dinner would do sad

astonvanilla Wed 20-Sep-17 20:11:41

It is my birthday today and it's been shit too...never the same when you are a grown up. Happy birthday though! cake

x2boys Wed 20-Sep-17 20:18:24

Mines in November it's in the middle of the month and we are usually skint it's always cold and miserable and everyone's talking about Xmas.

Laaadyofthehousespeaking Wed 20-Sep-17 20:25:32

Happy Birthday flowersginwinecake!
I love Christmas but hate my birthday.
I prefer to book a holiday (luckily it falls in the holidays) and spend it away. I don't do party's any more, I prefer dinner out with friends or family if I have to celebrate.

FaFoutis Wed 20-Sep-17 20:25:34

My birthdays are always shit. I'm the organiser and present buyer in my house (not through choice) and when I step back nothing happens. The shitness of my birthdays makes me question everything so I end up utterly depressed about my life and the people around me.
I should just organise it all myself but I see no pleasure in that.

WhooshYeah Wed 20-Sep-17 20:28:50

Mines been shit since I hit 18.
I don't have enough friends to plan any kind of night out (all my school friends moved away and all my work friends are either bitches or skint)

My DH doesn't do presents.

I am used to it now though. Age 35.

TheWorldIsMyCakePop Wed 20-Sep-17 20:33:25

My birthday too and I have cried....but I've had a cake baked for me and some small/cheap pressies so it's not that no one cares. life just very stressful at the moment.

Sending you a hug and a big slice of cake and for you to aston

astonvanilla Wed 20-Sep-17 21:05:36

Thanks! You too! cakewine

SmileAndNod Wed 20-Sep-17 21:09:36

Birthday wishes to you Aston and to you the world is my cake cake
Have decided to call it a day on the shitness and go to bed hungry.
Same time, same place next year then 😁?!

Ginslinger Wed 20-Sep-17 21:12:15

happy birthday to all of you - i wish you lots of lovely things flowers gin wine glitterball chocolate

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 20-Sep-17 21:16:58

Mine is always pretty shit so this year I decided to go out for the day with some friends and leave DH & DD at home. Was the best birthday in years, because I was able to be me instead of putting someone else first like every other day of the year.

iamapixiebutnotaniceone Wed 20-Sep-17 21:19:15

I usually have the day off from cleaning even if it means I have more to do the following day! Then we order a takeaway instead of cooking and if I'm lucky the kids will have made me a card and the OH stuck a banner up or something although I dont expect that! This year I was very heavily pregnant so he got me vouchers to buy clothes after baby was born ❤️ That was very much unexpected and unusual though!

Howlandbreathe Wed 20-Sep-17 21:22:20

Happy birthday to you flowers

It's mine too... and it's been a bit crap... dh phoned me yesterday to ask me to buy myself something from the kids confused so I bought myself a book I wanted and a bar of chocolate smile

Oh and to top it all it's the anniversary of someone close to me's death

Did you post this last year ? I think next year we should have a meet up and really go for it gringringrin

junebirthdaygirl Wed 20-Sep-17 21:25:14

Depression sets in in the sace between fantasy and reality . Just let go the fantasy as most of us grown ups have a regular day on our birthdays especially midweek. Bit of extra fuss on big birthdays. Knowing most people are the same softens the blow.
And Happy Birthday!

Sodaface Wed 20-Sep-17 21:30:14

Ahh poor you hoe awful.... 😴😴

Every year on my birthday am reminded that my birth mother dumped me on the doorstep of the local nursery & I was promptly taken into care of the state.

However 2 seconds after this though I am reminded that I have my own wonderful family, DH & Kids and I am so lucky.

Maybe that I'll put it in perspective for you if you could possibly look beyond yourself.

Squeegle Wed 20-Sep-17 21:39:05

Nice one sodaface hmm, always good to spread a little happiness.

UnbornMortificado Wed 20-Sep-17 21:44:18

Absolutely shit argument it's the same as saying people shouldn't complain about their house burning down due to other folk being homeless.

Broken leg/arm at least your not an amputee.

Car stolen, some people don't have cars.

Etc.

Happy Birthday OP 🎂🎈🎉

AbsentmindedWoman Wed 20-Sep-17 21:53:16

I'm not keen on my birthday in recent years either. It always seems like it's whacking me over the head with everything I'm behind on, and have yet to achieve.

Sodaface should shut the fuck up, because she has no idea of other people's painful circumstances around their family of origin. Your pain doesn't trump everyone else's because your mother abandoned you, very sad though that is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now