Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

DS had an unexplained black eye. Getting a bit worried now (pic)

(25 Posts)
WorriedNC Wed 20-Sep-17 17:32:48

DS woke up on Saturday with a bruise under his eye. He has absolutely no recollection of hurting himself. Swears that no one has hit him. He's dyspraxic and ends up in bruises constantly so I wasn't too concerned at first. But as the days have gone on it seems to be more puffy and he now looks like he's getting the beginnings of a new bruise under the other eye. Again, he says he hasn't hurt it. It doesn't hurt to touch either.

I've Googled (I know, I know) but instead of scaring me it's just frustrated me as there doesn't seem to be any reason for a black eye without trauma! Does anyone have any experience of something like this?

cowgirlsareforever Wed 20-Sep-17 17:36:26

This happens to my ds when he is run down and has a virus.
Having said that, it's always a good idea to get things like this checked out.

WorriedNC Wed 20-Sep-17 17:47:49

Thanks, he could be coming down with something. DH and I have a cold at the moment but he never seems to catch what the rest of us have!

I'm hoping I'll be able to get him a gp appt this week but it's almost impossible at my surgery lately.

GlitterGlue Wed 20-Sep-17 17:50:52

It could also be allergy related. That can make them look a little bruised around the eyes.

Luckyguess Wed 20-Sep-17 17:54:17

Had a black eye like this once when I had a tooth abcess!

bobkate Wed 20-Sep-17 17:57:27

Oh my goodness, that is so strange. I noticed today that my daughter has the same, although hers is more towards the corner of her eye. Like you, she has no explanation ( no bumps, bashes, collisions ). My initial thought was that she was brewing for something. She had a temperature last week, just for one night, but then picked up. So I'm wondering if it's virus related. Seems to be a lot going around school.

A1Sharon Wed 20-Sep-17 18:02:31

I'm a nurse OP but by no means an expert!
That is unusual.
I would get an appointment if possible, and keep an eye on/record the bruising.
One of my DC had a thing called ITP. He had strange bruises all over. His platelet count was '0'. But otherwise he was well. It was a result of a virus.
He healed himself, needed no further treatment. Could be something related to that?
Anyway, if he is otherwise well, I wouldn't be panicking. Get him seen as a precaution. You can always cancel the appointment if he improves.

underneaththeash Wed 20-Sep-17 18:16:15

I think it's an allergy too. If you google allergic shiner, it'll give you more info.

WorriedNC Wed 20-Sep-17 18:32:49

Definitely think I'll need to get him checked out. Virus, allergy or itp, or something else entirely. So weird. He says he feels fine in himself although he has been a bit tearful over small things lately which is unlike him.

We've had unexplained bruising before, about a year and a half ago. This bruising was on his bottom and thighs. We were worried that he'd inherited the factor v leiden gene from me but he was tested and he hasn't. No other cause was found and to be honest I genuinely believed then that he'd knocked himself and not noticed, really easy to forget a knock to the legs or a fall on your bum when you have ADHD and dyspraxia. But the eye is different, I genuinely don't believe he'd have no recollection of an injury there. Plus the new bruise coming on the other eye now.

A1Sharon Sat 23-Sep-17 10:44:33

Any developments OP?

WorriedNC Sat 23-Sep-17 13:57:18

Hi, no updates yet. Have an appointment with the Gp on Wednesday (closest available!) so will see what she says then. He feels fine in himself, still has the puffiness and bruising but no new bruises anywhere else. Very strange!

A1Sharon Sat 23-Sep-17 14:18:47

Roll on wednesday then! Good luck.

Trazzletoes Sun 24-Sep-17 08:09:49

Hey, just adding in my money's worth that it is ALWAYS worth getting unexplained black eyes checked out. glad you are going this week.

We had a similar thing a few years ago - not to worry you, but we had a lot of questions from health professionals about the unexplainedness of it. But then, DD happened to have a (very much explained and not occurred in our care) black eye at the same time so I can see where they were coming from.

Trazzletoes Sun 24-Sep-17 08:16:28

I've just had a few minutes trying to work out whether to type this because I know full well how it sounds. He's getting bruising under the other eye as well?

I'm trying very hard to not be alarmist because there are any number of things that this could be, so please don't panic.

2 bruised eyes with no explanation is very unusual - it's what my DS had, actually. We were told at hospital he must have a fractured skull, which obviously he didn't.

He was very unwell though. He had cancer and 2 black eyes is v unusual but typical of the cancer he had. If I were you, honestly?, I'd take him to a&e today because, regardless of what it is, you'll probably be sent to hospital to have it checked on Wednesday anyway. (Well - we were).

I am so not trying to panic you, but honestly, it is something I would get checked out immediately and I hope that it is absolutely nothing.

imjessie Sun 24-Sep-17 08:21:32

My dd came home with a black eye for no reason a few years ago . It slowly turned into a lump. I took her to the doctors and they diagnosed a cyst which she later had removed . She has a tiny scar . The point is the consultant said sometimes these things just happen and it wasn't for any reason as she wasn't knocked or anything . Get it checked though.

MouseholeCat Sun 24-Sep-17 08:27:49

I get this every morning when we have the central heating on. I think it's from a dust allergy as it also crops up when I stay at my parent's (rather dusty!) cottage. Poor DH has had to adjust to us having loads of blankets on the bed for the majority of winter.

Good luck on Wednesday!

Trazzletoes Sun 24-Sep-17 08:48:19

(But there are a ton of other explanations) - I'm a bit calmer now - see how you go on weds.

Trazzletoes Sun 24-Sep-17 09:39:27

I'm really very sorry if I've caused unnecessary worry. Viruses ofyen make really weird bruising appear, that's a far more likely explanation.

Jeanvaljean27 Sun 24-Sep-17 09:45:49

I can't see those pics clearly enough to tell if it's genuine bruising or merely dark bags under the eyes from a lack of sleep. Bruising should look purplish and will indicate blood pooling in the periorbital area.

If it's genuine bruising then in the absence of a genuine head injury (the most common cause), he needs blood tests to find out why. It may be because of a low platelet count (as one of the posts above points out, this causes ITP which often occurs in children following an infection) or an abnormality with his blood clotting system.

Go see your GP if a) it's genuine purplish bruising and b) you're certain there's no head injury involved. They'll assess and likely arrange blood tests to check FBC, blood film, and clotting profile at the very least.

WorriedNC Sun 24-Sep-17 10:33:29

Trazzletoes you haven't panicked me, don't worry. Thank you for sharing your story, can I ask, was your DS ill or did he have any other symptoms other than the black eyes?

The left eye is definitely a bruise, it is changing colour like a bruise tends to. The right eye seems more like a dark bag and hasn't become puffy. He does have what looks like a blood blister under that eye though which is odd. He has absolutely no pain or tenderness at any point on his head or face.

He doesn't tend to get unwell often, even a common cold he seems to be immune to. The last time he was unwell was last Christmas when he had meningitis but even then he wasn't really ill.

I'm wondering if it could be some sort of vitamin deficiency. He was treated the year before last for severe vitamin D deficiency.

I'm watching him like a hawk though just in case any more bruises appear or he becomes unwell in any way.

A1Sharon Sun 24-Sep-17 11:59:41

Its so hard to tell with hale and hearty kids,isnt it? Another of my sons has a severe illness, usually very debilitating, which will probably result in surgery at some stage in his life. He is on a pile of meds, both tablet and IV and has a very suppressed immunity.
He is the healthiest kid I know! Never gets sick!confused
I'm sure it will be nothing too serious OP, but always a niggle until you know for sure. Good luck Wed, let us know how it goes?

A1Sharon Wed 27-Sep-17 15:57:25

Hi OP, hope everything went well today?

WorriedNC Wed 27-Sep-17 17:28:39

Just back from his appointment. GP seemed thoroughly uninterested. She said the left eye is definitely a bruise and he must have had an injury to it and not realised. The right eye is a mixture of tiredness and broken blood vessels from coughing. He doesn't have a cough hmm

She's given him some hydrocortisone ointment in case the eye is irritated (?) and said to keep an eye on it. Not too sure what to think really. He seems well in himself though so will have to trust the Dr, she's the one with the medical degree not me.

A1Sharon Wed 27-Sep-17 19:34:42

Hopefully all will resolve and that will be that worried.

Trazzletoes Sat 30-Sep-17 04:01:23

It’s a good thing that the Doctor isn’t worried.

My son had regular tummy aches which may or may not have been a result of the cancer, they couldn’t say. Typically, kids with cancer have a general “under-the-weather” for a little while and often told it’s a long running mystery virus. Other than the tummy aches, it was just the eyes for a couple of weeks, then because of the placement of his tumours, he began to become reluctant to walk, with pain in his legs. Eventually what got us to the hospital was excruciating pain in his limbs as a result of one tumour pressing on his spine. Looking back on photos, his abdomen looked swollen too.

In our case, over the 3 weeks or so it took me to get him seen after his eyes went, they just slowly got progressively worse. Really slowly, but no improvement, just bruising slowly spreading and getting darker, never going from black to green/brown. If anything, the other way around.

I must admit to being sceptical of an injury causing a black eye that you’ve not noticed, but apparently it’s not that uncommon.

Keep a close eye on him and I hope they start to clear up shortly. If they don’t, then get him seen again. And if you ever have any questions, feel free to shout. I hope the cream sorts him out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now