Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Reception age child out until 10pm on a weeknight.

(17 Posts)
Crunchymum Wed 20-Sep-17 17:12:41

One off, with a parent.

OK or would you avoid?

It's a football match by the way, not a trip to the pub.

I agreed and am now not sure.

EdithWeston Wed 20-Sep-17 17:15:16

One off, not a problem to have a late night.

But wouid a DC that young really appreciate an evening match?

And wouid the adult-in-charge really appreciate having to leave early if the DC isn't coping?

BaxterStockboy Wed 20-Sep-17 17:23:03

Depends how much the child would enjoy it. I have a 5 year old boy, loves to watch footie on the tv but absolutely hated going to a live game (Was Saturday afternoon). If you think he'll love it then I don't see the issue but as above, would parent be prepared to leave if child wants to go?

Crunchymum Wed 20-Sep-17 17:25:01

Oh yes parent will be happy to leave. In fact I am sure they intend to leave a bit early to miss the crowds.

Child would love to go, his cousin (a few years older) is going as well. He will be fine.

I guess I'm just worrying about safety? Silly I know but it's a big London stadium.

x2boys Wed 20-Sep-17 17:58:52

Yes I would as a one off especially as they will enjoy it they can always go to bed earlier the next night.

paxillin Wed 20-Sep-17 18:01:28

I wouldn't. Not because of the time, but because mine only really had the attention span for 90 minutes when a bit older. Especially when tired an cold.

TittyGolightly Wed 20-Sep-17 18:04:19

DD's usual bedtime at that age was 9pm. So yes, I would have kept her out late (and did).

NataliaOsipova Wed 20-Sep-17 18:04:40

I did it - as a one off - although it was to a ballet rather than a football match, so can't comment on the safety aspect you mention. I did, however, make a point of "asking" the teacher if it was okay by her, just to set the scene and make the point that it was for a special occasion and wouldn't be a regular occurrence. I was worried my DD would be tired the following day and didn't want her teacher to have me pegged as completely irresponsible!

MyBrilliantDisguise Wed 20-Sep-17 18:05:49

I definitely wouldn't take a reception child to a big stadium at night. No way. That sort of thing is great but not for that age. Plus the child will be exhausted the next day.

rabaria Wed 20-Sep-17 18:08:48

Can't see any problem at all. Surely the odd late night here and there is part and parcel of childhood, and pretty much impossible to avoid? And if parent is happy to leave in order to accommodate child, then there's nothing to worry about surely?

hollygolipo Wed 20-Sep-17 18:11:19

Go! There will be loads of kids there and if its the stadium I think it is, they are very family friendly, the atmosphere is fantastic and the fans are great. Security is also good; I've done it loads of times with my boys from aged 5 and upwards.

Silvertap Wed 20-Sep-17 18:14:23

Depends on the child. I've just put my reception age child to bed at 5.30 as he's so tired! There's no way he'd cope!

mimbleandlittlemy Wed 20-Sep-17 18:19:23

We regularly go to watch one of the big London teams at home and there are often really quite little kids there, even for the matches starting at 7.45pm. They usually seem to enjoy the atmosphere and parents often leave a bit early to avoid the crowds. I hoick my judgey pants up really high if they are very little and it's a school night but that's up to them

Security is very tight at the stadiums - no one is allowed to take in large bags, you are searched properly - like if you have triggered a scanner at an airport, the full frisking - and all bags are checked and then tagged and there is always a large police presence both on foot and mounted. I always feel pretty safe, to be honest.

paxillin Wed 20-Sep-17 18:23:29

We do this sort of thing, started aged 8. Aged 4 mine would have been bored, tired and whingy after half time. If really unlucky, they'd have fallen asleep and I'd have to carry them home.

Crunchymum Wed 20-Sep-17 18:33:15

He's almost 5, usually in bed by 8pm on a school night but very excited to go.

He is out the door in a minute so decision made.

Thanks for opinions though.

Frazzled2207 Wed 20-Sep-17 18:34:50

I wouldn't take my reception kid, as he has only just turned 4 and finding school knackering atm. However as a one off and if the child will enjoy I don't think it's completely out of the question.

JoandMax Thu 21-Sep-17 06:24:27

I have no problem with a one off late night. However DH took our kids to a football match this summer and let's just say the language and songs are extremely colorful!!! They heard every swear word numerous times.......... They are old enough to be told not to repeat them or tell their friends etc but I'm not sure I'd of wanted them hearing all that at reception age

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now