Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Give me your favourite sausage recipes

(39 Posts)
fucksakefay Wed 20-Sep-17 16:08:26

Kids want sausages. I am veggie (kids are not) and unimaginative with sausages and usually serve with pasta or chips.
Give me some more ideas please! Kids are not super fussy but are a bit wary of anything too unfamiliar.

m4rdybum Wed 20-Sep-17 16:14:15

TOAD IN THE HOLE

m4rdybum Wed 20-Sep-17 16:14:35

Sorry - caps lock has made me seem very enthusiastic about sausages...

JohnnyUtahsWetsuit Wed 20-Sep-17 16:20:31

My daughter loves toad in the hole. I tell her the batter bits are pancake.

Sausage and chicken tray bake with potatoes, onions and herbs is good too.

BasiliskStare Wed 20-Sep-17 16:21:07

Ha - I am thinking of this for this evening - My grandmother used to call it Chester Pie , but I don't think it is.

Oven proof dish , layer of stuffing , Sausages - browned or sausage meat would do , layer of apple sauce ( jar if nec. otherwise apples sliced in wide pan with some liquid - cider , water would do , mashed potato on top , cooked and then grated cheese, grilled to finish.

MrsHathaway Wed 20-Sep-17 16:22:50

With pasta and homemade (mostly tomato) vegetable sauce and grated cheese. We bake it all together slowly - you'd need to have something else that night!

Casserole made with half sausages and half pork shoulder, lots of onions, leeks and carrots, half stock half apple juice or cider, and a spoonful of grainy mustard. Lovely with mashed potatoes.

Or just hot dogs - proper sausages, soft white rolls, and heaps of sticky fried onions.

MrsHathaway Wed 20-Sep-17 16:23:29

Oh yy tray bake with root vegetables.

GreenTulips Wed 20-Sep-17 16:24:48

Sausage casserole with tomatoes and mushrooms onions and any other veg

Browned sausages and into the eh low cooker! Nom nom

fucksakefay Wed 20-Sep-17 16:40:53

Ok do I brown or oven cook the sausages first before adding to the sauce / casserole etc ? Stupid Q I know
I know they cook in toad in the hole as I have done that before, although my hole was rubbish and fell to bits stuck to the pan. Not sure why as my Yorkshire puds are normally awesome

DrizzleHair Wed 20-Sep-17 16:57:23

That Apple dish sounds amazing, thanks.

I used to make a similar kind of thing but as so:
Brown sausages.
Blanch savoy cabbage
Make a cheese sauce
Put cabbage in the bottom of a dish, add sausages on top, then cover with cheese sauce and maybe breadcrumbs, then oven until brown

GreenTulips Wed 20-Sep-17 17:18:40

Yes brown them otherwise they end up soggy

For a pasta bake brown sausages and add to cooked pasta with passetta sauce add veg and top with cheese and bake for 20 mins

purpledonkey Wed 20-Sep-17 17:19:20

Mary Berrys sausage lasagne is EPIC

midnightflowers Wed 20-Sep-17 17:29:24

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/quick-sausage-meatballs-with-a-tomato-and-basil-sauce-spaghetti-and-sweet-raw-peas/

This always goes down a treat and always empty plates! And it takes 15/20 minutes

AdmiralJaneway Wed 20-Sep-17 17:30:00

My personal favourite is casserole including sweet potatoes and butternut squash chucked in with all the other stuff - all bite size for easy eating!!

BasiliskStare Wed 20-Sep-17 18:31:10

Drizzle - I will try the cabbage one - with mine - make sure stuffing and sausages are basically cooked before assembling - but lovely comfort food in Autumn or Winter. I make it if we have stuffing / sausage meat left over from Christmas - but am making it this evening with a Paxo stuffing mix ( my excuse , which I am sticking to is bursitis precludes me from walking to the supermarket so relying on corner shop ingredients. ) Anyway - it is a recipe you can play around with and relatively low cost. ( Have just told student DS how to make it)

GreenTulips Wed 20-Sep-17 21:32:04

You could also get puff pastry and make sausage rolls glaze with egg - cook 10/15 mins.
Serve will salad

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 20-Sep-17 22:50:38

Sausage and gnocchi bake. Brown sausages then chop, fry off onions, garlic, peppers, add herbs and can of chopped tomatoes. Season and add a good glut of Worcester sauce. Add cooked gnocchi and pour into oven proof dish. Top with breadcrumbs and cheese and bake for 20 mins.

neversleepagain Wed 20-Sep-17 23:08:04

I make small meatballs out of them buy taking them out their skin. I make a tomato sauce with pasata and serve with linguine.

tccat Thu 21-Sep-17 08:44:13

Cowboy pie , sausages, baked beans and onions , cheesy mash on top like a shepherds pie

Littlebelina Thu 21-Sep-17 08:48:48

Also Jamie www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/sweet-cherry-tomato-and-sausage-bake/

I do this one as well, add some smoked paprika for smokiness or some chilies www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sausagepumpkinandsag_92737

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 21-Sep-17 08:56:27

I often make Sausage macaroni and veg. I just cut the sausages up and mix them all together in a bowl.
I keep promising myself I'll Google the recipe for Jean's sausage surprise.grin.
Although I'm not exactly friends with sausages at the moment. As when I was out the other day. I saw a women eating them raw. Sweet mother of Jesus. I nearly threw up. envy (obvs not envy)

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 21-Sep-17 08:57:45

I've never heard of that, Cat. Sounds nice

Orangeplastic Thu 21-Sep-17 09:06:30

I make a sausage and puy lentil stew.
Fry onions, courgettes, red peppers, garlic, semi dried tomatoes and sausages(skinned and pulled into bitesized balls. Add lentils and veg stock.

picklemepopcorn Thu 21-Sep-17 09:16:08

I cook sausages in the oven when I'm doing a different meal, then have them browned ready for the next meal.

We like a casserole of mixed beans, chorizo, tomatoes, sweet corn, paprika, onions, peppers. Cook it for a good while, maybe in the slow cooker, till the sauce goes a bit silky/gooey. Serve with bread.

mateysmum Thu 21-Sep-17 09:17:25

Basilisk do you precook the sausages/sausage meat?

Do you slice the sausages or put 'em in whole?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now