Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can someone keep me company?

(20 Posts)
Gutted2017 Wed 20-Sep-17 15:30:04

Currently stuck in Hurricane Maria on holiday, we were due to fly home tomorrow but they’ve cancelled all flights for at least 48 hours.

I’m beginning to feel really ill, had the worst period type pains all up one side of my body.
I’ve taken painkillers but it’s really not touching it. The on site doctor isn’t in, he’s elsewhere and I’m panicking myself.

I was counting on getting home early (our rep said we’d be evacuated out, but now even that’s not possible).

I’ve had an amazing holiday so I’m really trying to not moan or be ungrateful. I’m really worried about these pains. It’s making time go a lot slower.

Please keep me company, I’m tired, in pain and stuck in a hotel room for the next 48 hours. grin

Fannylodger Wed 20-Sep-17 15:32:57

I'll keep you company!
I'm sat at home, bored and munching on a salad I want pizza

YouCantArgueWithStupid Wed 20-Sep-17 15:35:27

Hiiiiiiii OP! What have you been doing on your holiday? @Fannylodger I love your username 😂

Bloomed Wed 20-Sep-17 15:38:08

Hope you're feeling better op. Could you take a bath? That always help me flowers

Fannylodger Wed 20-Sep-17 15:40:31

I agree with your username cantarguewithstupid 😂😂

YouCantArgueWithStupid Wed 20-Sep-17 15:58:19

@Fannylodger it's a lesson I live my life by. Not just a user name 😂😂

Gutted2017 Wed 20-Sep-17 16:09:14

fannylodger your name made me smile. I’m sat eating Cheetos, they’re shit, I want chocolate instead. Preferably a Galaxy straight from the fridge. No decent chocolate around here!

We’ve had a lovely holiday to be fair. We’ve been here two weeks, lots of sunbathing and drinking alcohol! We did a full day out, snorkelling and visited a private island and drank rum in a lagoon grin

There’s no bath in the hotel, just a hot tub which is on our balcony outside which we can’t access now. The pain is really bad, all around my right hand side of my pelvis, my back and up to my shoulder blade. I have no idea what I’ve done! confused

Bloomed Wed 20-Sep-17 20:28:08

How are you doing now?

Marcipex Wed 20-Sep-17 20:34:01

Could the hotel staff find you a hot water bottle? Are you any better?

QueenMortificado Wed 20-Sep-17 20:36:11

Are you sure it is period pain OP? When I get indigestion it hurts in exactly those places

TheWorldIsMyCakePop Wed 20-Sep-17 20:38:26

Oh that sounds both painful and scary. Hope that you're all alright.

QueenNefertitty Wed 20-Sep-17 20:40:41

OP- is there any chance you could be pregnant? I don't want you to worry unduly, if not, but if so, you should be aware that ectopic pregnancy pain can present in the shoulder-blade. Hope you're okay.

Gutted2017 Wed 20-Sep-17 20:58:33

The weather is like nothing I’ve seen before, I really underestimated it! The lights have just gone out.

I have irregular cycles so I’m just assuming that it’s a period. However, the pain seems more severe and one sided. I seem to fit the criteria of an ectopic. I have absolutely no idea what to do, the doctor still isn’t here, our travel rep isn’t in the hotel. The concierge doesn’t speak very good English sad

I was counting on getting home early to be seen.

On the upside, DP hunted down some decent snacks to keep us going grin

QueenNefertitty Wed 20-Sep-17 21:03:55

Oh god @gutted - how awful.

If you suspect an ectopic pregnancy, you must get some medical advice from somewhere- they can rupture and they are considered a medical emergency. If your onsite doctor isn't around, could you call for telephone advice from a gynaecologist re: what to do in the interim/ warning signs that you need emergency care etc? Either in the country you're in, or could you call an ED for advice in the U.K.?

TheWorldIsMyCakePop Thu 21-Sep-17 12:09:14

How are things OP?

Gutted2017 Thu 21-Sep-17 18:08:52

Tried to ask for help last night, all the phone lines and electricity outside the hotel is gone. We can’t even call a taxi! I’ve tried to call my GP at home but as we’re abroad she can’t give advise?!

The pain has subsided but the bleeding is heavier.

The airport is flooded and has no electricity. I feel like crying sad

QueenNefertitty Thu 21-Sep-17 21:32:03

@gutted

have you contacted the British consulate in the country you're in? There will be a phone number online, if you google.

I know it's weird, but you could call a UK hospital gynaecology direct- if you explain the circumstance they may be able to give you some advice re: whether subsided pain means an ectopic (or other problem) is more or less likely.

I'm sorry you're having such horrors- and I hope you get some help soon.

wtffgs Thu 21-Sep-17 22:36:48

Are you in a Spanish-speaking country? There are a ton of native speakers on MN who could help you communicate with the concierge. flowers

wtffgs Thu 21-Sep-17 22:38:19

Thomas Cook offered a Now Doctor app. You pay (lots) for a Skype consultation with a UK GP.

DayToDayGlobalShit Fri 22-Sep-17 08:27:45

How are you doing OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now