Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Instant coffee?

(48 Posts)
BBQDip Wed 20-Sep-17 13:49:54

Taste buds seem to be changing at the moment and I'm currently favouring coffee over tea.

Previously, coffee was an occassional thing when I was in the mood for it and went to Costa or similar.

Is there a decent-ish and not too expensive instant coffee I can drink at home?

I know I'd be betfer with a cafetiere or a machine but I will be the only one using it and I cba with the faff.

Graphista Wed 20-Sep-17 13:51:28

Douwe egberts huge jar for £5 in Tesco at the moment, I used to drink red mountain before getting a cafetière. I have a small one that does enough for a cuppa no more faff than making tea really.

PerfumeIsAMessage Wed 20-Sep-17 13:51:28

Kenco Millicano is the best instant I've tried. It's pretty good.

5rivers7hills Wed 20-Sep-17 13:51:36

Lyons coffee bags

Or the romberts single cup filters

Don't go for actual instant!

BBQDip Wed 20-Sep-17 13:56:43

How do they work if they're not 'actual instant' rivers?

Forgive me for being thick, I know fuck all about coffee other than I like a flat white if I buy it out.

Thankyou for suggestions so far grin

abbey44 Wed 20-Sep-17 13:58:13

Percol Americano is the one I have when I cba to switch the machine on. It's much nicer than you'd expect from instant.

ScarlettDarling Wed 20-Sep-17 13:58:43

I like douwe egberts. Their decaf is pretty good too.

BlackForestCake Wed 20-Sep-17 13:59:08

What faff? Put ground coffee in cafetiere, pour water on, push down plunger, pour into cup. It’s no more trouble than making a cup of tea.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Wed 20-Sep-17 14:00:34

Maybe 5 means if you are used to 'proper' coffee, normal instant coffee isn't going to do it for you? Got student DD some single use filters, the Sainsburys own, which are a bit cheaper than Rombouts.

ParadiseLaundry Wed 20-Sep-17 14:01:43

I've had this same dilemma and someone recommended Azera. It's reasonably priced, often on offer and tastes really good

AccrualIntentions Wed 20-Sep-17 14:03:30

I really like Lavazza instant. 1.5 teaspoons in a decent sized mug, lovely.

RaspberryIce Wed 20-Sep-17 15:40:44

I like Azera. I've got a Melitta filter machine which is super easy as you just rinse the jug and filter holder under the tap and throw the filter in the compost and that's it.

RaspberryIce Wed 20-Sep-17 15:42:59

This is the one I've got. Only £30. I like instant too though
www.pixmania.co.uk/p/melitta-easy-typ-1010-02-black-filter-coffee-machine-1050w-872848

FruBayerischOla Wed 20-Sep-17 15:51:35

Alta Rica instant coffee is nice - but I have two teaspoons in my cup to make it taste a bit more 'coffeey'!

M&S does a version of Rombouts single cup filters - although I find the taste a little bland.

maitaimojito Wed 20-Sep-17 15:55:37

Azera or Millicano are the best instant coffees. I can’t stand most brands of instant coffee but these are actually fairly good.

Clawdy Wed 20-Sep-17 15:56:47

Another vote here for Kenco Millicano. Great cup of coffee.

SingingSeuss Wed 20-Sep-17 15:57:39

Percol Americana. Best instant going imo (seasoned filter coffee user)

BeatriceBeaudelaire Wed 20-Sep-17 15:58:11

Dowue Egbert or an espresso machine grin

BBQDip Wed 20-Sep-17 17:11:04

Thanks all!

Should have added we are pretty brassic atm so shellibg out for a machine etc. Isn't possible.

My mum loves coffee and says a cafetiere takes forever. If that's not true, will a cheap one do the job?

I think I'll try Azera as I've heard good things about it elsewhere too smile

sundayfeeling Wed 20-Sep-17 17:17:13

All instant coffee is shit.
The best cheapest option is a cafetière. But get some good coffee (not supermarket brands or starbucks etc)

Callmecordelia Wed 20-Sep-17 17:19:30

I like to buy the espresso powder instead of ordinary instant. It's useful to bake with if you like making coffee cakes too.

Margomyhero Wed 20-Sep-17 17:29:40

I don't like any instant coffee. We had the Douwe Egberts Dark which is possibly the most palatable to me. But I prefer to just make up a cafetiere. It doesn't take any longer.

Etymology23 Wed 20-Sep-17 17:29:48

Cheap cafetieres are fine. Not that much of a faff - rinsing out can be a pain but not that annoying.

Azera is this household's preferred instant or my granny likes douwe egberts.

Margomyhero Wed 20-Sep-17 17:30:23

Lidl ground coffee is good value and tastes good - about £2.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Wed 20-Sep-17 17:32:29

I like Carte Noir, but it's too expensive, so am using Aldi, which isn't bad and much cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now