Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Interview and trial for TEaching Assistant.

(23 Posts)
Pibplob Wed 20-Sep-17 11:23:10

Does anyone have any tips for me?

Especially in the classroom side of things. Any do's or dont's that I may not have thought of?

Thanks

SunSeptember Wed 20-Sep-17 11:48:30

F

Pibplob Wed 20-Sep-17 16:15:46

Anyone?

ForFuckSakeSusan Wed 20-Sep-17 16:34:10

Do you have to have an activity or anything prepared for the trial? If not I think the best advice is to get stuck in, don't stand in the shadows and definitely don't stick to just one child (unless that's what your role will be of course!)

They're bound to ask safeguarding and confidentiality type questions during the interview part. I found that these are usually things like "what would you do if a parent approached you outside of school and asked x about their child?" Or "what would you do if a child disclosed..." Some schools have their policies and procedures available to look at on their website so might be worth having a mooch.

Remember to have questions prepared, asking about opportunities for further training is always a good one.

Good luck!

Pibplob Wed 20-Sep-17 17:43:33

Thank you. No, they haven't asked me to prepare an activity. I'm with the older years. 4, 5 and 6. Will make sure I get stuck in and work with all children unless directed otherwise. Just hope it's not a maths task I'm observed on!

SaltaKatten Wed 20-Sep-17 18:24:21

Make notes on the children you work with for the teacher to communicate how they do. Come down to the children's level, either crouching or sitting next to them. Smile and be enthusiastic smile

parrotonmyshoulder Wed 20-Sep-17 18:29:28

Make sure you don't let that maths anxiety come across!

HailLapin Wed 20-Sep-17 18:31:38

At that age you need to encourage a child to follow their teacher's lead and not lean on you too much. Ask the children open questions about what's being taught then close the question gradually if that approach doesn't work. Support the teacher at all times , do not chat to the kids while the teacher is speaking , show great leaning body language such as eye contact etc.

You probably won't be sure how much of the topic being taught is known about already , and that's fine so shit a child can't remember an important point check with their partner if they've covered it.

Try to use non verbal language such as pointing to the front of the classroom/whiteboard if a child is looking around them.

Basically I think the more supported the teacher feels the better you'll come off.

Good luck!

HailLapin Wed 20-Sep-17 18:32:22

*learning.

HailLapin Wed 20-Sep-17 18:33:29

*Shit? If.

So so sorry , I am a good TA honestly!

Pibplob Wed 20-Sep-17 19:26:05

Thanks all.

PhatSlag Wed 20-Sep-17 19:34:23

Yes safeguarding questions are always good to prepare for.
I got asked to explain a time I felt rewarded working with children and also a scenario when I had dealt with challenging behaviour and how I had resolved the issue.
Good Luck!

mamamalt Thu 21-Sep-17 20:58:40

As a teacher I would also say if you're not sure what you should be doing then just ask! It's always nice to be asked as it's hard to not come across bossy with someone new! grin
There is lots of good advice online on TES for example, giving the types of questions to expect and the answers expected. Draw on experience where you can even if it's just with your own children at home!
And enjoy it!! I love working with young people! You may just have fun! wink

DesdemonasHandkerchief Thu 21-Sep-17 21:14:59

At interview I was asked the usual disclosure and confidentiality questions, also asked to give an example of where working with children in a small group had assisted learning and how I would support a child who was struggling to read. On the last one the key points are:
1) Check the child has the correct level book, sometimes they choose their own and are too ambitious. If the book is the correct level there should still be two or three words they need some form of help with on a page so they are being challenged rather than coasting.
2) Encourage the child to sound out tricky words by breaking them down into manageable chunks.
4) if applicable get them to use illustrations for clues as to what the word may be and to reread the whole sentence so the word is in context and may become apparent.
3) Help them with the part of the word they're stuck on, particularly useful if the sound isn't phonetic.
4) If all else fails give them a clue ie if they are struggling to read the word cold, say 'it's not hot it's c...'. At least in that way they feel some satisfaction that they worked it out in the end.

parrotonmyshoulder Sat 23-Sep-17 07:34:14

If you have Desdemona's response to an interview question about reading, I wouldn't give you the job, so be very careful about 'tips'.

parrotonmyshoulder Sat 23-Sep-17 07:34:21

Gave

winkywinkybumbum Sat 23-Sep-17 08:02:14

I don't know why Parrot. That is exactly how we were told to assist out children with reading when they joined the school. Almost word for word.

parrotonmyshoulder Sat 23-Sep-17 08:10:00

What, all the stuff about guessing the word?
Best to look carefully at the school's own policy then before you have an interview and definitely don't take model answers from a website.

BananaSandwichesEveryDay Sat 23-Sep-17 08:51:31

The difficulty is that schools, and teachers, all have a different idea about what makes a good ta. I have four teachers in my year group, as well as having to liaise with other teachers wrt interventions. Every one of them has a different style of classroom management and therefore different expectations of me. Some are happy for me to talk quietly to a child to ensure understanding of steak. Others want me to sit and listen to the teaching. Some plan for me to work with a group on a differentiated task while teacher is talking to the rest of the class. Some want me to work with one or two children, others give me a while table, others want me to float whilst others will give me a box of resources and tell me to take a group of children out to do something different entirely. Some teachers are happy for you to share in the discipline in the class whilst others insist you refer everything to them.
Do you know anybody at the school who can give you a few pointers? Otherwise, yes, definitely trawl their website to look at safeguarding policies, behaviour, etc.
Good luck

winkywinkybumbum Sat 23-Sep-17 09:36:12

Yes, using the pictures as clues. It helps with association.

parrotonmyshoulder Sat 23-Sep-17 09:37:29

Doesn't help with reading though.

lou1221 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:13:55

I work in upper ks2. Brush up on safeguarding, what if scenarios, etc. Unless you are going to be 1:1, make sure you float around different children. Ask questions, who, what, why, when, where type questions, allow the children to explain in their own words and time. Listen to the lesson input, and how the teacher explains what to do. If it's maths it may well be rounding or negative numbers next week.

DesdemonasHandkerchief Wed 27-Sep-17 17:52:01

Good job you didn't interview me then parrot as I was given the job and was complimented on my response to this question of n particular.
I hope you got the job OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now