Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Household organisation

(19 Posts)
cjt110 Wed 20-Sep-17 11:00:29

How do you organise household mundane tasks? I seem to get my shit together, then it all goes to shit. DH and I both work fulltime and we have a 3year old DS.

Washing. We have a unit from Ikea which has 4 tubs in. Whites. Darks and Blacks. Reds and Pinks and Pastels. When a tub is almost full I'll put it in the wash. We live in an apartment so have an over door airer. Washing takes a day or so to dry. This morning I looked and all bloody 4 tubs are almost full and most of my work stuff was in the wash. And DS only had a few pairs of trousers.

For my own issues surrounding M<H, I like things to be orderly and organised. I go out running every other night. I get home around 6pm and once bedtime battles have been fought. I cant be arsed at times. The shortest cycle is 1 hour 45. So Washing goes in at say 8 that means it's being put out at almost 10pm when I;m ready for bed....

I know this all seems trivial but it's driving me crackers.

MrsPear Wed 20-Sep-17 11:53:17

Get a tumble dryer. Condenser can be stuck anywhere. I would load the machine and then set the timer - aim for it to be running when you are having a run / bedtime battles / dinner. Then the collective can put it in dryer whilst washing up and get the next load set for the following day. Folding can be done sitting in front of tv when finished and then taken to rooms on the way to bed.

cjt110 Wed 20-Sep-17 11:55:32

Our machine is a tumble dryer but (i think) it costs a fortune to run and on the rare occasions I have used it my washing doesnt smell nice - it has that tumbled smell. Any tips to battle that? Can you still get those sheets?

combatbarbie Wed 20-Sep-17 12:13:13

1hr 45 min cycle? I’d be replacing the machine for one that has fast wash options. Ours has one which is 15 mins which gets used for non dirty (not muddy, food stained) etc if we have a few loads. Day to day washing we generally use the 45 min cycle... longer cycles are for towels/bedding

cjt110 Wed 20-Sep-17 12:15:28

I can do a reduced time one combatbarbie which is 40 minutes but I find the washing isnt cleaned properly. It's an inbuilt machine in the kitchen and finances wouldnt allow for a new one any time soon.

Am even tempted to try laundry services - but the thought of something dealing with our washing gives me the heeby jeebies.

overmydeadbody Wed 20-Sep-17 12:17:02

Get a dehumidifier. Hang washing on then error in a spare room close the door with a dehumidifier set to a dry clothes, they will be dry in about 2 or 3 hours.

Can you protect your washing machine with a timer so it comes on two hours before you get home from work? Then you can hang it up as soon as you get home from work put on the dehumidifier turn it off when you go to bed.

That's how I keep on top of it.

BellaGoth Wed 20-Sep-17 12:18:17

Are you finding you don't have enough clothes to warrant a wash for ages, then suddenly all 4 loads are full? If that's the problem don't split them out as much, put colours and darks together, it'll be fine.

Or make everyone wear their clothes in the correct order. grin

cjt110 Wed 20-Sep-17 12:23:43

overmydeadbody Good idea. Will see if it has a timer function.

BellaGoth Pretty much. Problem is the dark wash. Husband's uniform is black for work. DS wears mainly dark clothes and I have work trousers. I suppose I should try and battle those first.

Viviennemary Wed 20-Sep-17 12:27:49

Are you absolutely sure the shortest wash is 1hr 45 mins. that's much too long. Our new one (don't like it that much tbh) has a super speedy 15 min wash. Which is useful for the odd thing you need quickly. Get a tumble drier or one of these heated rail driers from Lakeland are meant to be quite good.

Blankscreen Wed 20-Sep-17 12:27:49

Your issue is the drying.

If you don't have a timer on you washing machine can you put it on in the morning so it's ready to be hung out when you get home?

I used to have a washer dryer and the dryer made the clothes smell a bit plasticky but I got used to it
I would have thought your clothes might smell musty anyway if they take that long to dry .
. Maybe buy a heated airer (and some more clothes)

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Wed 20-Sep-17 12:35:19

You can get a heated drying rack from Lakeland or Argos. I don't wait until I've got a full load otherwise I would get a huge backlog. So I wash at about 2/3 full.

cjt110 Wed 20-Sep-17 12:37:04

Blankscreen As the washing is in the hallway it smells fine. Just of washing liquid.

cjt110 Fri 22-Sep-17 08:38:17

overmydeadbody suggested the timer on the washing machine. I love you! First night I was on a mission so by 7pm I had put a load in, hung it out, done tea, eaten it, washed up and done our lunches whilst tea was cooking meaning my evening was pretty much my own.

Almost the same last night, except no washing. Have put a load in the machine this morning and delayed the timer by 8 hours (who knew you could delay it so much!!). Put clean washing away so husband can tend to the clean fresh stuff when he gets home.

queenofthedump Fri 22-Sep-17 08:40:32

I put a load of washing on timer every night so that it comes on at 5:30am. When I get up I hang it on a heated lakeland airer then it's dry by dinnertime.

cjt110 Fri 22-Sep-17 09:07:58

queen We have a stupid washing machine that is plumbed in incorrectly. The pipe leading to it should be cold as is marked as such. But it's not. It's a hot pipe. So we couldnt put it on in the morning (as much as I'd like) because we'd end up with no hot water for showers etc.

permanentlyfrazzled1 Fri 22-Sep-17 09:43:34

Definitely get a heated airer from Lakeland! They aren't cheap but will get a load dry whilst you're out at work each day, and if you have space in a non-bedroom room for it during the night, you could have a 2nd load on it then. I do 3 loads a day (there are 6 of us and I can be a bit of a clean freak) so this is the only way I can attempt to keep on top of it. It doesn't work as well during the winter, so that's when I resort to the tumble dryer for bedding/towels/scruffy round-the-house clothes. I do get loads on the line each day, as much round the year as possible, but obviously that doesn't always help with being in the UK. I feel your pain op!

overmydeadbody Fri 22-Sep-17 20:19:24

Yay, glad my suggestion if a delayed timer works!

AlternativeTentacle Fri 22-Sep-17 20:23:54

Get a heated airer. Ours supplements the line and is worth its weight in gold.

snackarella Fri 22-Sep-17 23:22:44

Try and heated airer. They plug in and washing dry very quickly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now