Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Looking for book recommendations please. About life in North Korea.

(16 Posts)
LadyInDread Wed 20-Sep-17 10:38:02

I've had a browse on Amazon. Usually I can find books on whatever subject for a few pound so would try a few. But these are more expensive so wondering if anyone can recommend.

Ideally looking for real life accounts from ordinary people.

TiA

CMOTDibbler Wed 20-Sep-17 10:41:36

Nothing to Envy is stories of real people and v good. The Aquariums of Pyongpeng is a v well written account of life in the NK gulags

Butterymuffin Wed 20-Sep-17 10:44:31

Seconding Nothing To Envy. Journalist interviewing ordinary North Jordans. Extraordinary.

OttosTitsling Wed 20-Sep-17 11:12:10

I really liked 'In Order to Live' by Yeonmi Park. Autobiography of a young girl growing up in NK and her family's escape

afatalflaw Wed 20-Sep-17 11:13:21

I second 'In Order to Live'.

SunSeptember Wed 20-Sep-17 11:15:41

^^ and also daily north korea paper.

ememem84 Wed 20-Sep-17 11:16:59

Thirding in order to live. Am halfway through it and it's really good. Sad in places but beautifully written.

AgentProvocateur Wed 20-Sep-17 11:17:46

Thirding(!) Nothing To Envy. It's a great read.

cottonwoolbrain Wed 20-Sep-17 11:19:32

If you look here you'll see amazon suggest a number of books on the subject www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003V4ASV8/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21

If you come across links to the pictures drawn by escaped NK prisoners please don't look - the awful images will stay with me for ever and God alone knows what psychological and physical damage has been done to them. Awful regime sad

LadyInDread Wed 20-Sep-17 11:19:51

Thank you all. I'm used to getting books for pence so didn't want to spend without some recommendations. Both in the basket for payday.

Thank you.

LadyInDread Wed 20-Sep-17 11:23:25

Thanks for the recommendation and the warning Cotton.

I usually read about ordinary people in history in times of war and change. To know them and their stories. I'm re-reading Snow Falling on Cedars, and wanted some books on the treatment of Japanese-Americans during the Second World War. It got me thinking to how with North Korea, it's not history, I'm alive at the time this is happening and I know nothing about it.

cottonwoolbrain Wed 20-Sep-17 11:25:59

this looks interesting and under £3 - might have a look myself

LadyInDread Wed 20-Sep-17 11:26:17

Didn't explain that well, people being held as prisoners in their own country was what got me to North Korea.

cottonwoolbrain Wed 20-Sep-17 11:26:34

sigh forgot the link this one

Josiah Wed 20-Sep-17 11:49:39

Without You, There Is No Us
My secret life teaching the sons of North Korea’s elite

by Suki Kim

Mulberry72 Wed 20-Sep-17 12:04:24

Escape from Camp 13 by Blaine Harden is an amazing book. It’s about a North Korean man who escapes from one of the labour camps, heartbreaking but extremely well written.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now