Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Are you working from home today? What is your job?

(80 Posts)
BoogleMcGroogle Wed 20-Sep-17 10:33:44

Obviously this post has nothing to do with avoiding doing my own work at home.....

If you are working at home today, what is it you do for a living?

I'm an educational psychologist in independent practice and spend about half my working week at my desk writing reports, dealing with admin and doing business development (when not Mumsnetting and listening to The Archers). I like that I spend some time in schools being busy, and some time holed up on my own. The balance suits me well and it means that I can still practise my profession while dealing with a complicated home life.

I'm really interested to hear what other work people do from home, especially if you work in a profession that is not seen as typically work at home.

bookwormsforever Wed 20-Sep-17 10:35:01

Copy-editor/proofreader. Run my business from home.

BoogleMcGroogle Wed 20-Sep-17 10:47:03

bookworms does that mean you are always working at home? How do you keep professionally connected? That's been a challenge for me but social media has helped no end.

IdentityRequest1 Wed 20-Sep-17 10:51:22

Bookwormsforever - can I hijack slightly to ask how you got started doing that? I've done office-based editorial work and would love to start my own business doing that from home...

redandyellowbits Wed 20-Sep-17 10:53:25

I'm a freelance science writer, I also run my business from home.

I keep connected via LinkedIn, emails and calls to existing clients, but it's not very good for expanding your client base,.

And on days like today when I have enough to be getting on with, but not super busy, and its cold in my study, I do lack motivation.

BoogleMcGroogle Wed 20-Sep-17 10:57:59

redandyellow I can't do cold in my study. I have a special heater, and a lovely smelling oil burner, a lilac Roberts digital radio and a supply of lemon sherbets. I have attempted to make it a truly alluring room.

I have no colleagues to distract me and, despite occasional internet shopping and fussing the cat etc, I get loads more done than I ever did in an office.

Tazerface Wed 20-Sep-17 10:58:52

I'm a project manager for a high street bank - I do development of contact centres.

Strictly speaking, I'm based out of my local contact centre, however I have the option to WFH if I want which is good as I don't have a permanent desk in the office. Either or though in general as the office is only ten minutes away.

I'm at home today because I have the raging shits.

ParadiseCity Wed 20-Sep-17 11:04:57

I'm working from home writing a report on something dull but outing. My assistant at work is always slightly snide about me working from home so I don't do it too often or she backstabs me. It is worth it now and then to enjoy the lovely peace and quiet though. In fact I haven't even mentioned to DH that I'm at home so he doesn't phone me for a chat. grin

Thenorthbloodywellremembers Wed 20-Sep-17 11:07:35

I'm an accountant by training, now freelance helping organisations with financial management. Current client based in Europe so I WFH and keep in touch by email and Skype.

BoogleMcGroogle Wed 20-Sep-17 11:10:32

Tazer my 6 year old is at home for the same reason, so I'm only working until lunchtime, when granddad departs for the golf course.

Working from home is lovely, working from home with children, or indeed anyone else in it is dreadful. The cat is an exception, but I do give him a little poke to wake him up if he's asleep on my bed, as this makes me envious.

ninecoronas Wed 20-Sep-17 11:21:41

I work in TV production, on location/staying away from home about half the week then work from home the rest of the week setting up shoots and writing scripts.

Often companies like freelancers to do this from their (usually London) offices, but it's increasingly acceptable to work from home. As I don't live anywhere near London and have a small child I appreciate the lack of commute and working in my fluffy slippers

Question for the rest of you: radio on, or not?

redandyellowbits Wed 20-Sep-17 11:28:39

radio on, or not?

No radio for me, and I like total silence when I work. I have a lovely cleaner who is here now and makes a lot of noise. I can't complain as she is lovely but I really would like her to go now smile

LaContessaDiPlump Wed 20-Sep-17 11:30:18

Scientific writing - academic research stuff. We do some work for pharma companies too.

Hockneypool Wed 20-Sep-17 11:30:37

I work in community development and support for a charity. I spend about half my time out in meetings and meeting with people, and the other half writing papers, developing projects and ideas and admin. I like the balance of quiet days on my own and busy full on days with loads of people.

paxillin Wed 20-Sep-17 11:31:16

University lecturer.

abitwrong123 Wed 20-Sep-17 11:33:53

Engineering consultant, I spend varying amounts of time procrastinating in the office depending what projects I am working on. I LOVE working from home when it's cold and rainy, hate it in the summer when the kids are home and revert to needy toddlers.

Newlifeisstarting Wed 20-Sep-17 11:34:58

University lecturer, trying to put together an MA module today...

coffeeslave Wed 20-Sep-17 11:35:49

I normally work in an office but am at home because I have builders in. I'm a software engineer.

Level75 Wed 20-Sep-17 11:37:58

Solicitor. 2 days working from home, 2 in the office.

BoogleMcGroogle Wed 20-Sep-17 11:38:11

For me, radio on for mindless admin tasks, radio off for report writing.

Do you all have a dedicated workspace? I have the luxury of a converted ensuite bathroom which measures 8x5 feet. Except on Tuesdays, when DH works from home so that's when I make sure I'm out at meetings and assessments.

I'd love a garden office, providing sweeping views of the trampoline and sandpit.

SocksRock Wed 20-Sep-17 11:40:14

Working from home as I have a stinking cold and don't really want to pass it on. I've got report writing to catch up on and my sofa and blanket are way comfier than my office desk when I'm feeling shit. I'm a structural engineer for a local authority.

GemmaCollinsBabes Wed 20-Sep-17 11:40:27

I am working from home today, having an admin day.
I have many jobs!
I own a local business, I advise media on medical matters and I work for a religious organisation.
I work about 75% from home and the rest popping here and there for meetings.

I like to work listening to either Radio 4 or Spotify.

Yika Wed 20-Sep-17 11:44:36

I work for a large international organisation in HR and I occasionally WFH depending on workload etc. Prefer WFH any time I have serious reading or writing to do as I can't concentrate so well in the office. (I share an office with one quiet colleague). Radio strictly OFF.

Yika Wed 20-Sep-17 11:45:54

Re. the dedicated workspace I have a cluttered big desk in my spacious multifunctional front room so not exactly. If reading or jotting down notes I'll do it at my kitchen table.

HeyMicky Wed 20-Sep-17 11:46:00

Digital marketing manager. I work with teams globally so I'm not required to be in the office face to face every day of the week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now