Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Does anyone regret giving a dummy to their baby?

(23 Posts)
Opheliasgoldenwine Wed 20-Sep-17 09:47:48

I'm interested to see if people regret giving dummies to their LO.

DP does because he has to keep putting t back in at night as she accidentally spits it out but wants it back. I think it was one of the best parental decisions that we made, as she is soothed by it, it helps her sleep, I could go on.

Does anyone else think a dummy was a great idea or regret giving their LO a dummy smile

MrsEricBana Wed 20-Sep-17 09:54:39

Ah this is interesting. I was violently against using a dummy as soother. Ds had colic and it did soothe him. As soon as he was soothed I used to whip the dummy out of his mouth as I felt bad for using it. He'd then started crying more. In retrospect I would have let him have it more. Good luck.

DeleteOrDecay Wed 20-Sep-17 09:56:51

Nope, don't regret it at all. They were life savers with both dc and we've had no problems taking it away.

Don't understand why they have such a bad reputation to be honest.

Walkforvictory Wed 20-Sep-17 10:00:49

I didn't regret it.

We did used to take it out just before dropping fully of to sleep and it wasn't used during the night for very long. So we didn't have the popping it back in scenario going on! Then again we seemed to spend years getting up in the night nevertheless!

redexpat Wed 20-Sep-17 10:02:23

I dont regret it at all. But then I live outside of the UK so there is no judgement about it.

SophieGiroux Wed 20-Sep-17 10:02:26

They are annoying at the stage when babies lose them in the night and can't find them themselves and you have to keep getting up to retrieve them! That's the only downside though which soon passes and a Sleepytot can help. Mine had hers at night for sleep until she was about 4 and the dentist recommended getting rid of it. Was dreading it thinking she'd never sleep again but a reward chart and a gift from Argos at the end of the week worked a treat.

Walkforvictory Wed 20-Sep-17 10:04:37

Giving them up at three was a doddle here too. He remembers leaving them on a tree in the garden for the dummy fairy to give to babies!

SteamingPistons Wed 20-Sep-17 10:08:48

Love dummies, only regret is that I didn't start earlier with it so suffered in the first 7 weeks.

A dummy bunny really helps in the night for them to find it themselves smile

homebythesea Wed 20-Sep-17 10:12:47

No- DC 1 found thumb, have spent thousands correcting his teeth as a result. DC2 had dummy from the get go, yes it was a pain if it was lost at night but teeth unaffected and accidentally on purpose forgetting to take dummies away on holiday when around age 3 ended the habit overnight

MrsJayy Wed 20-Sep-17 10:17:54

Dd is mid 20s her dummy was a life saver <dra matic> but it really helped her sleep and she had terrible colic/reflux and the dummy soothed her i did think she was going to go to school with it she had it for bed till she was 4 blush her teeth were fine her speech was fine and no regrets.

Auntiedahlia Wed 20-Sep-17 21:31:28

They are wonderful. Sanity savers.

QuackDuckQuack Wed 20-Sep-17 21:36:13

We have DD2 a dummy as having a thumb sucking DD1 was stressful. But putting the dummy back at night was a pain, so we got rid of the dummy at about 8 months and DD2 didn't start sucking her thumb. I had assumed we'd have to wait until she was 3 and the dummy fairy would come, but getting rid of it earlier worked really well.

TrinityTaylor Wed 20-Sep-17 22:53:32

No regrets and dd still had hers at night until 5. blushNever outside the home though. She has lovely teeth fwiw, but did have braces.

TrinityTaylor Wed 20-Sep-17 22:54:46

Also speech fine the bugger started talking at ten months and never stopped

PommeRouge Wed 20-Sep-17 22:57:33

My sister regrets giving her DCs dummies (no judgement from me, mine just spat them out, it wasn't for lack of trying to push them in on my part!) because pretty much every photograph of them up until they were about three, they've got a dummy in their mouth. You can't see their faces, it's just all dummy.

MummaGiles Wed 20-Sep-17 22:58:25

No regrets, aside from letting DS have it too much when not asleep. But we went cold turkey at about 20/21 months when it was "lost" and had no problems getting rid of it.

Gladiolies Wed 20-Sep-17 23:02:00

No regrets- DD2 in particular needed it for calming down during the stormy toddler years! Last DC was not interested in having one at all and has never had trouble settling by themselves. If it works, use it !

trilbydoll Wed 20-Sep-17 23:04:49

DD1 loved her dummy. Getting rid of it was actually okay, the thought was worse than reality. The worst thing about it was she only liked the Nuk 0-6 white dummies and trying to find it at 2am in our white bed was like a sitcom, lots of looking under pillows etc. I didn't realise how often they lose them grin

HLBug Wed 20-Sep-17 23:11:57

Glow in the dark dummies are brilliant when they spit them out at night.

Buttercupsandaisies Wed 20-Sep-17 23:14:12

Dd1 didn't have one and never slept til age 2

DD 2 had one and was perfect sleeper from 2nd week in. I did take summer away at 18 months tho which was dead easy- may have been harder older

DeliveredByKiki Wed 20-Sep-17 23:16:41

Another no - I was super judgey before I had DS who then had colic, thank GOD for dummies! DD didn't have colic but we used them anyway. Only used for naps and bedtime, dummy fairy took them away without a fuss at 3

AreWeThereYet000 Wed 20-Sep-17 23:19:48

DS1 had one until he was about 15 months then just refused to take it. DD1 will not
Take one at all despite trying and prefers to use me as a dummy instead.
No regret in using/trying to use one

Floellabumbags Wed 20-Sep-17 23:43:38

DD rejected a dummy for her thumb. She's nearly ten and still sucking her bloody thumb - drives me insane.

DS was given a dummy in NNICU to stimulate sucking because he was tube fed and they wanted him to be able to feed normally. I was in a different hospital, recovering from a crash section and off my face on morphine. The staff were mortified that I hadn't been consulted but I was too grateful he'd survived to care.He was sleeping through by twelve weeks and ditched the dummy around the same time. No regrets. Not one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now