Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Gas hobs...

(15 Posts)
GiraffeFluff Wed 20-Sep-17 08:01:26

Looking for a new gas hob! Any recommendations or warnings of what NOT to get?
Current hob is DREADFUL - 'stainless' steel which shows up every single tiny drop of water and every finger print, and is really hard to clean - it never looks good.
So - I want something that is not ridiculously precious, can cope with being actually used for cooking and is easy to clean! Black, preferably, as that goes with my kitchen.
Thank you for any replies!

Josiah Wed 20-Sep-17 08:38:07

Mine is stainless steel and is easy to clean and doesn't show any water or finger marks. How are you cleaning it?

After I've cleaned mine I wipe over with a dry paper towel and the stainless steel looks like new same with my sinks and draining boards. I love stainless steel because it always looks so nice.

ratspeaker Wed 20-Sep-17 08:47:56

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was wiping down the hob. I was wondering if they now have a new coating or if its using newer cloths.
My old stainless steel was a nightmare to keep cleanit was about 20 years old but from the start it had been difficult. Things seemed to mark and stain so easily. Nothing seemed to lift it easily. Mind you I had 4 youngsters and little time for polishing the hob. I can remember leaving clean empty pots over the burners to disguise the mess underneath.
My new hob seems to wipe clean easily, using a microfibre cloth then as above burnish with paper towel.

MmmmmmmChips Wed 20-Sep-17 08:57:43

When you have cleaned it with a damp cloth dry it quickly with a dry microfibre cloth

GiraffeFluff Wed 20-Sep-17 09:22:10

Thanks for replies!
Hob is only about a year old, a Smeg. Honestly, I've tried everything to clean it - the only method that leaves it looking half reasonable is cleaning with hot soapy water, then polishing it with windowlene and a microfibre cloth. Sometimes some Cif as well. But it's time-consuming and needs to be done after any use - even boiling an egg - and I've had enough!! Honestly it's not fit for purpose angry

GiraffeFluff Wed 20-Sep-17 09:39:59

Ratspeaker I empathise re leaving clean pots on top to disguise the hob - I've done that, too!

MmmmmmmChips Wed 20-Sep-17 15:31:39

I don't think there's any kind of hob that's going to be much easier I'm afraid
They all need cleaning
I inherited a glass one when we moved it. I find that to be much worse. You have to be careful what you use and if there's any food stuck on or the water dries you have to use a special scraper

ineedabodytransplant Wed 20-Sep-17 15:33:47

stainless steeel always looks good if wiped over with baby oil!!

FruBayerischOla Wed 20-Sep-17 15:56:19

I've got a Neff gas hob with a black glass base. It looks beautiful when clean, but, oh boy, it's rather irritating to clean. And then when it is clean, some bugger DP manages to splatter something on it!

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 20-Sep-17 16:01:46

I switched to induction and a major part in the decision was how much I hated cleaning gas hobs <unhelpful>

MrsGotobed Wed 20-Sep-17 16:15:52

Barbara funny you should say that, we have a gas hob and I swear, next kitchen we have it will be an induction hob!!

PeaceAndLove1 Wed 20-Sep-17 16:23:40

I've got a white Hotpoint, it's just fine, wipes over easily, no fingerprints.

TheViceOfReason Wed 20-Sep-17 16:29:47

I've got a rangemaster cooker with gas hob. I never clean it. In 4 years it's been professionally cleaned once. The cleaner gives it a very very quick wipe every other week.

The base plate i think is black enamel and the rings / bars on the top i believe are cast iron.

GiraffeFluff Wed 20-Sep-17 16:36:15

To the last two posters - I think enamel is the way to go. My mum and mil have enamel (white & black respectively) and they look great and just need a quick wipe now and again.
Here is mine confused

GiraffeFluff Wed 20-Sep-17 16:43:18

Pic won't post confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now