Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Mexico earthquake

(14 Posts)
KenAdams Wed 20-Sep-17 07:46:41

Apparently a school has fallen on children there. How horrific sad

wheretoyougonow Wed 20-Sep-17 07:55:22

So sad. I've just seen this. Will be giving my ds an extra squeeze before he goes off to school.
So much disaster going on at the minute sad

RunningOutOfCharge Wed 20-Sep-17 08:07:12

More than 200 killed

7.1 magnitude

Atenco Sat 23-Sep-17 04:40:54

Not much you lot can do about from over there, but it is way more serious than the media are making out. There are about four collapsed buildings within ten minutes walk of my flat. All with people inside.

Atenco Sat 23-Sep-17 07:30:47

Ok, well maybe there is something people can do. The government and the international media have seriously played down this situation. Corrupt government officials gave developers carte blanche to jerrybuild and then passed these buildings as safe. In my part of town nearing all the buildings that collapsed were new buildings. The private school that fell down was completely jerrybuilt. Now the army is not letting expert Mexican rescue teams in to some of the sites and want to bulldoze everything while there could be people alive inside. Unbelievable!

Tanaqui Sat 23-Sep-17 07:53:00

Atenco, how awful. Is there anything we can do? flowers

Talkedabout Sat 23-Sep-17 07:58:30

We are thinking of you. I am shocked by the photographs of this, and Atenco the causes and how it's beating dealt with.

How can we help?

Atenco Sat 23-Sep-17 15:53:24

Thanks Tanaqui and Talked. I wish I knew how you could help. I just want to break the silence. There are so many more collapsed buildings than those reported in the media and people have just poured out into the streets to help, while the politicians spend their time doing media shots. Our president's reaction to the earthquake is to do a photoshot with his wife and daughter: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C9ZuV1WvX4

miriaminmx Sat 23-Sep-17 23:21:18

The earthquake has brought Mexicans together in a way I've never seen before. It's been overwhelming to see the outpouring of love and support. People are donating their time, money and goods to help out those who are affected. So much so that collection centres have had to turn people away.

Uber offered free rides, all public transport has been free, phone netwroks provided free wifi. The whole city and country has come together.

Although it is hard to help from the UK, you can always donate to the Mexican Red Cross. They are distributing goods to areas in need.

KenAdams Sun 24-Sep-17 00:05:58

That sounds horrendous. Will donating to the Mexican Red Cross actually get the aid to the people that need it?

AhYaBastart Sun 24-Sep-17 00:11:25

Here is an article with trusted organisations you can donate to; https://www.google.co.uk/amp/people.com/human-interest/heres-how-you-can-help-victims-of-mexicos-deadly-earthquake/amp/

It’s absolutely dreadful what’s happening. The world can be such a horrible place sad

Atenco, I hope you’re safe and you continue to stay safe flowers

Atenco Sun 24-Sep-17 00:15:19

Thanks, I and my family, friends and neighbours are all safe, thanks. The Mexican Red Cross is awful, please do not donate them.

Talkedabout Sun 24-Sep-17 09:23:15

Thank goodness you are all safe.

This sort of information is useful for us. If we are considering making donations, could you give us an idea of some good charities?

Stay safe. We are thinking of you.

Atenco Sun 24-Sep-17 16:44:13

I am going to research on decent charities. So much good will and I'm letting it go to waste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now