Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

OH heard our front door open at 3am

(111 Posts)
Natsku Wed 20-Sep-17 07:41:27

Strangely I'm not feeling panicked but he certainly is as he couldn't sleep after that. He went downstairs quickly so if someone had come in they left quickly (doesn't appear that anything has been stolen or anything like that). Should we tell the police or what? I'm leaning no as I'm not sure it actually happened as I didn't hear anything and nothing has been taken but OH is unsettled.

Though I will make sure the door is locked before going to bed from now on! (both the front door and the porch door were unlocked apparently, usually OH locks up so I don't bother checking)

reetgood Wed 20-Sep-17 07:49:28

I think the police would say 'lock your door'. You don't keep any keys by the door do you? If so I'd move them just in case. Our neighbours had their car nicked through someone breaking in and taking keys. We literally heard nothing which I can't believe as I hear them leave the house etc. Police said they would have been in and out in minutes. They got in through a side window, I suspect only didn't target ours because windows don't fully open on ground floor, only the top part.

expatinscotland Wed 20-Sep-17 07:50:40

Lock your bloody doors and move on!

Gramgram Wed 20-Sep-17 07:52:52

If nothing is missing I wouldn't bother the Police. Your OH probably knew he hadn't checked the doors and his subconscious led him to "dream" about someone coming into the house. Or is it possible that as sound carries further during the night that he heard a neighbour going into their house.

Hope you both sleep better tonight after you have checked he has managed to lock the doors.

Maudlinmaud Wed 20-Sep-17 07:54:47

He might have been dreaming Nat? I would do what pp have suggested and double check the door is locked before bed.

sleepingdragon Wed 20-Sep-17 07:55:47

Definitely lock your door in future, but it was probably a realistic dream no? They had left and closed the door without your OH hearing before he (presumably hurried) downstairs, which sounds unlikely.

ssd Wed 20-Sep-17 08:07:29

why the hell don't both of you check the doors are locked hmm

all this I leave it to him shite does my head in

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 20-Sep-17 08:07:31

I've done this before. I was convinced it was real but it wasn't, it was my subconscious remembering I hadn't locked the doors.

We now have a system where first person locks the door, second person checks.

diddl Wed 20-Sep-17 08:11:12

Two unlocked doors????

Bloody hell.

ShatnersWig Wed 20-Sep-17 08:12:34

reet General advice from Police is that you SHOULD leave your keys by your door, as the thieves will then just steal your car and have done, getting away as quickly as possible. This means they will be in and out really quickly and not ransack the place looking for keys or small stuff they can take with them easily or put your, the houseowner, in possible harm's way.

That and making sure you lock your flipping doors. Totally with ssd, why is only one person responsible for the security of joint property?

Homebird8 Wed 20-Sep-17 08:14:41

I have heard similar very real sounding noises when I'm asleep. It's enough to wake me in a start. Things like our doorbell for example. The brain makes you think they're real. It might have been this he 'heard' which is why you didn't.

Just googled and I think it's called Hypnagogic hallucinations.

Kpo58 Wed 20-Sep-17 08:16:56

I'd go for a chain for the door rather than a lock. Locks without the key near by often stops people escaping in the event of a fire.

BertrandRussell Wed 20-Sep-17 08:18:15

"why the hell don't both of you check the doors are locked "

Well, because that's not how adults operate!

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 20-Sep-17 08:19:09

I suppose a critical factor that the OP doesn't mention is where she lives. If she lives in a city or urban area, fair enough, locked doors are a must, but there are still some places where people don't routinely lock their doors and crime is still very low.

I've just returned from a holiday on an island off the UK mainland. No-one locked their doors. We couldn't even lock the back door to the cottage we rented, there was no key.

We did a sporting activiry and it was the norm to leave expensive equipment out on the street or in the yard of the organiser's property.

Us city dwellers felt uneasy about leaving things unattended but the organisers assured us that nothing was ever stolen and expressed bewilderment at us wanting cameras and other equipment locked away.Totally different mindset.

MrsJayy Wed 20-Sep-17 08:21:16

I think he was probably dreaming because he hadn't locked up, I have done it myself and raced down thinking a door had blown opened

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 20-Sep-17 08:26:27

The advice these days is to leave keys by the front door.

I agree with Mrs Jay, I think he was dreaming.

Lol@both going to lock the doors at night.

Did you lock the door?

Yes,but you'd better come and do it with me in case I can't manage it.

Ok dear

grin

gingercat02 Wed 20-Sep-17 08:26:48

Your mind does strange things between sleep and waking. I ocassionaly get woken by our doorbell. We don't have one (and live in a detached house). Make sure you lock up and last one to bed always checks!

megletthesecond Wed 20-Sep-17 08:28:08

Why don't you lock your doors?!

Natsku Wed 20-Sep-17 08:31:48

why the hell don't both of you check the doors are locked

Because I've never been bothered about them being unlocked as we live in a really quiet area where the chances of someone coming in are so slim so I've just not been fussed until now (and still don't feel fussed but will obviously check from now on so that OH feels reassured). Oddly he never locks the car doors and says there's no point because if someone wants to steal the car the locked door won't stop them...

I reckon it must have been a dream, that makes much more sense.

I'd go for a chain for the door rather than a lock. Locks without the key near by often stops people escaping in the event of a fire.

They're Yale-type locks so don't need a key to open from the inside, which is probably why I always forget to lock them as they open the same from the inside whether locked or unlocked.

MrsJayy Wed 20-Sep-17 08:32:06

It was his mind giving him a gentle reminder that he had forgotten that is all.

picklemepopcorn Wed 20-Sep-17 08:33:20

Unlocked car may invalidate your insurance, though...

Natsku Wed 20-Sep-17 08:33:55

I reckon so MrsJayy not going to bother saying that to him though as he won't believe it, he's utterly convinced he heard the door open. Just going to tell him that he must not say anything about it to DD as she will get very scared.

Natsku Wed 20-Sep-17 08:34:38

I'll tell him that though picklemepopcorn

FenellaMaxwellsPony Wed 20-Sep-17 08:36:25

It's worth bearing in mind that if your car and house aren't locked your insurance may well be invalid if you need to claim.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Wed 20-Sep-17 08:36:47

Oh sorry - XP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now