Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Sleep paralysis

(78 Posts)
ThoseFemalesAreStrongAsHell Wed 20-Sep-17 00:47:26

Had it a couple of nights now. Had it earlier when i was dozing off. Ive been suffering since i was a teen. Utterly terrifying.has anyone else?

ThoseFemalesAreStrongAsHell Wed 20-Sep-17 00:52:25

Sorry for the vague post. Ive been a long sufferer and I had an episode earlier on this evening where i felt somebody was trying to drag me out of bed I had buzzing in my ears. Ive suffered for many years so i can drag myself out of it usually by wiggling mu toes and fingers but have suffered particularly bad recently. I meant to start this as a support thread for anyone who suffered or is suffering like me.

notangelinajolie Wed 20-Sep-17 01:02:40

Happened only twice in my life - probably over 20 years ago now. I'm 53. It was utterly terrifying. Both times I woke in the night to see DP's grandparents stood next to the bed looking at him (his side thank God). I was wide awake but totally paralysed and tried to scream but I couldn't. Didn't realise who they were till I saw a photo recently.

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Wed 20-Sep-17 01:06:56

Happened once about a year ago. I'm surprised I didn't soil myself or have a heart attack or stroke. I was weirdly aware at the time it was 'probably' sleep paralysis but even so - that demon by my bed, that actual fear of death - nope, no fun.

ThoseFemalesAreStrongAsHell Wed 20-Sep-17 01:09:58

notangelinajolie although I get it almost nightly the most memorable time for me is seeing my mum at the bottom of my bed. I was speaking to her and then I heard my mum call out from downstairs for help even though I was speaking to her. The mum I was talking to said "which one are you going to believe". Terrifying.

MrsPottsTeaCosy Wed 20-Sep-17 01:12:39

Not had it for a couple of years now, but it's bloody terrifying!

ThoseFemalesAreStrongAsHell Wed 20-Sep-17 01:18:45

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 luckily (i use that term!) I can distinguish when I am having it and when I am not. However, when I do it have it it lasts all night no matter how many times I get out, change position, get up have a drink etc.

EloquentlyIneffable Wed 20-Sep-17 01:24:32

I have had this! First time was the night before I got some important results - fell asleep on the sofa (with the door behind me) and I felt pinned to the sofa and felt like someone had opened the door and stood in the doorway. I'd never had it before so was terrified afterwards and didn't sleep until the next night.

Second time I had it was recently and every time I moved position and began to drift off I just heard this evil sort of voice but couldn't make out what it was saying but felt it getting closer every time I fell asleep.

Weird stuff huh!!

TheDowagerCuntess Wed 20-Sep-17 01:26:59

Yes, I used to get it quite regularly, now just rarely.

It's scary.

I hyperventilate, and that alerts DH, who 'wakes' me up. Obviously I'm already awake, just unable to move. So strange.

ThoseFemalesAreStrongAsHell Wed 20-Sep-17 01:30:51

EloquentlyIneffable I often get that with the door too. flowers. I think that you had results makes it easier to understand as stress is a factor, which obviously doesnt make it less of an experience just more understandable.

Blody weird and scary!

ThoseFemalesAreStrongAsHell Wed 20-Sep-17 01:33:01

TheDowagerCuntess ah your lovely DH. Mine says he doesnt notice! Im sure I must move or at least let out a groangrin. But he says no!

notangelinajolie Wed 20-Sep-17 01:37:13

Those females it must be awful to have it happen so often. It's never happened to me since but it really affected me and now I sleep with a low light on whenever DH isn't home. Could you speak to your doctor about this? Is something perhaps on your mind that that could be causing this?

Bufferingkisses Wed 20-Sep-17 01:38:40

I suffer, weirdly it was always worse when I was pg. However it's ramped up again recently.

My son (15) also suffers. He's obviously scared at the time but very rational about it afterwards. He reflects the way I've always been Although I never spoke to him about it until he told me it was happening.

I'm still haunted by one bad episode 20+ years ago that went on for weeks every time I closed my eyes. Even though my lucid brain knew what it was my paralysed brain wouldn't process the thoughts.

Not something I'd wish on anyone flowers

user1471453601 Wed 20-Sep-17 01:41:09

I've had sleep paralysis a couple of times. The first time I had it I thought, for some reason, it was a dear friend who was sat on my chest. I thought/ said "you are welcome, just don't sit on my chest". Didn't really scare me.

I think the lack of fear is because I've had odd sleep things happen all my life. I sleep walk frequently and my dreams are incredibly vivid and lucid. I often look forward to going to sleep as its like going to see a film, I just don't know what the film is going to be.

I also rarely sleep for more than four hours at a time, hence my posting at 3:30 in the morning - I'm not in the UK at the moment.

ThoseFemalesAreStrongAsHell Wed 20-Sep-17 01:42:07

notangelinajolie I have! But it was dismissed as 'just one of those things'. It does really disrupt my sleep at night so if I try to catch 40 winks after work on the sofa I suffer more. Catch 22 really.

ThoseFemalesAreStrongAsHell Wed 20-Sep-17 01:45:46

Wow, user id love dreams what feel like films!

TheDowagerCuntess Wed 20-Sep-17 02:24:32

LOL, it's probably more a shove in his sleep to get me to be quiet!

FaFoutis Wed 20-Sep-17 02:58:10

I get this but not usually with the hallucinations. I wake up completely paralysed except for my eyes. It can last up to 10 minutes (I can often see the clock) and is terrifying even after many years of experiencing it. I can't stand to watch or read anything involving some sort of 'locked-in' syndrome, because I know just how that feels.
A doctor told me it is often hereditary. My sister gets it too but with more hallucinations, poor woman.

WORKWORKWORKWORKWORKWORK Wed 20-Sep-17 03:26:24

I get this!!! It terrifies me!
I especially get it if I've taken codeine weirdly enough, so was in a bit of a pickle when I broke my ankle & kept thinking someone was in the doorway or about to attack me whilst being paralysed.

It genuinely terrifies me.

PeaceAndLove1 Wed 20-Sep-17 04:13:13

Does it make a difference if you're lying on your back or not? I mean, if you avoid lying on your back does it help at all..

ImogenTubbs Wed 20-Sep-17 05:18:46

Peaceandlove- not sure about anyone else but my strangest episode I was definitely lying on my side. It felt like someone's arm was around my neck but I could see DH lying next to me, so I could tell it wasn't him.

I've had it a few times, but fortunately never with hallucinations. Sounds terrifying!

Newmanwannabe Wed 20-Sep-17 05:22:21

I used to get the paralysis. Now I mainly get the ear popping (very weird.. does anyone know why that happens?), hallucinations, and I scream- really loud and bloodcurdling. Enough to scare my DH. Hasn't happened for a few months thank goodness

Goldenbug Wed 20-Sep-17 08:56:24

I believe that everybody should get it. It's the way your body stops you doing weird stuff when you sleep, ie sleepwalking. You're not supposed to be awake to experience it though. Sounds horrible.

spiderlight Wed 20-Sep-17 09:01:02

Oh, I hate it. Get it regularly, but only if I sleep on my back or if i wake up and then go back to sleep again. I sometimes have someone standing at the end of the bed but I'm not scared of him - I mentally asked him who he was the first time I saw him and he said 'The Guardian', so obviously my subconscious has decided to look after me while I'm in SP.

lemonzest123 Wed 20-Sep-17 09:02:55

I got this a lot. The key to avoiding it seems to be a regular sleep pattern. Melatonin also helps. If I have a nap during the day I'll always get SP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now