Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone work as a life coach?

(23 Posts)
Justchillaxing Tue 19-Sep-17 23:41:05

Posting here for traffic - anyone work as life coach?

I'm looking into training but unsure what is genuine or worthwhile. I'd like to find a genuine course. Also how do you build up a clientele?

TIA

Justchillaxing Wed 20-Sep-17 11:28:46

Bump

Justchillaxing Thu 21-Sep-17 17:00:11

No one?

LoniceraJaponica Thu 21-Sep-17 17:01:52

What exactly does a life coach do?

TBH the impression I get is that someone tells you how to run your life efficiently, and only the well off can afford them. I am probably wide off the mark, but it does seem a bit of a niche area.

BulletFox Thu 21-Sep-17 17:08:36

You'd have to listen quite carefully to what the client wants and thoroughly investigate any services within the area which might be of use, and act as a prompt to help them achieve goals.

Advertise locally.

Justchillaxing Thu 21-Sep-17 17:55:08

Any ideas about training?

chanie44 Thu 21-Sep-17 19:05:34

I've had business coaching through work, plus I've had some training in it myself. I really enjoy doing it and have thought about life coach training.

If I'm honest, I don't know anyone who has has ever had life coaching and I'm not sure anyone I know would pay for it either.

Justchillaxing Thu 21-Sep-17 19:39:22

Ah, ok. I had been reading about it online and thought it was something I'd be quite good at and would enjoy.

SerfTerf Thu 21-Sep-17 19:46:39

I used to work as a careers adviser in a previous life. Have you considered that? It's a more credible "profession" with more clear cut qualifications and pathways. Alternatively, have you looked at qualifying as BACP registered counsellor? Life coaching could be a side-offer to either (or both) of those roles.

LoniceraJaponica Thu 21-Sep-17 19:48:24

"If I'm honest, I don't know anyone who has has ever had life coaching and I'm not sure anyone I know would pay for it either."

I think ^^ this just about sums it up for me really.

What exactly does a life coach do?

Tilapia Thu 21-Sep-17 19:49:47

A friend of mine is a life coach, she seems to be doing very well!

Justchillaxing Thu 21-Sep-17 19:54:05

What would becoming a careers advisor entail?

I thought about counselling but am a little worried about the responsibility of someone was suicidal.

SerfTerf Thu 21-Sep-17 19:58:30

There's a lot of information here;

www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/careers-adviser

U2HasTheEdge Thu 21-Sep-17 20:02:04

I know a life coach. She actually does keep very busy.

It's not a service I would be interested in but plenty of people seem to be.

Justchillaxing Thu 21-Sep-17 22:33:50

Thanks

Tameagobairanois Thu 21-Sep-17 22:34:26

No! but I went to see one a while ago.

Justchillaxing Thu 21-Sep-17 22:44:54

How did you get on?

LoniceraJaponica Thu 21-Sep-17 22:46:29

Can anyone elaborate what a life coach actually does? Why did you see one Tame?

SignOnTheWindow Thu 21-Sep-17 22:54:35

I've been seeing one. Long and difficult issues with MH, self-esteem, organisation and motivation. She made it clear from the start that she wasn't qualified to address MH issues. However, she has helped me improve my life and outlook considerably. She is very astute in the way she picks up on the words and patterns of thinking I use. She doesn't let me get away with things.

Doubtless there are tons of useless ones out there, but the coach I see has genuinely changed my life.

Tilapia Thu 21-Sep-17 22:59:40

I think it's when you're feeling a bit stuck (in your career or relationships or whatever) and think you would benefit from talking to a third party. Kind of like counselling, but very forward-focused (how can I change this?) rather than contemplating how or why you've ended up in this situation.

NormHonal Thu 21-Sep-17 23:02:59

Mine gives me a mixture of therapy and practical life advice and steering.

She's amazing, my rock, I've been seeing her for quite a few years now. She's older, closer to my DMum's age but still relatable, and we share a lot of similarities, plus she reminds me heavily of someone, so we really have clicked and our relationship is very special.

But I only go once every 2-3 months and pay £60 a session. She only takes on a few clients at a time, so f* knows how she makes a living!

SignOnTheWindow Thu 21-Sep-17 23:06:29

Tilapia Yes, forward-focused is how I would describe it. It works for me much better than counselling because I feel more able to talk about daily life and my business, as well as the state of my MH.

Tameagobairanois Thu 21-Sep-17 23:11:19

It helped me but not in the prescribed way it was meant to.
I felt surprisingly irritated by the process tbh, but that was thought provoking. The first Career Coach I contacted asked me when I wanted schedule first meeting and I said in about four months. (I wanted to wait until my youngest was settled back in to school after school holiday) and he said ''oh so you don't want to change you life then''. He said it very calmly. It was designed to make me contradict him and insist we meet sooner but instead I thought I'd find a career coach my own age who had children. And I did find a woman my own age roughly. She had a child roughly the same age as my eldest. That helped. She didn't think that the obstacles I faced as a single mother were all of my own making [grr]
But I did realise during the process that whilst she drew energy and strength from ''positive psychology'' I more and more utilise the wisdom of the philosophers! I prefer to acknowledge that life can be very challenging and to accept that and work around it.
She did help me find the language to list past experience and encouraged me to believe I had something to offer. I always knew that but I wasn't sure I could convince an employer of that.
While I was meeting her (and there was usually a month between sessions, my fault, I was sluggish doing the assignments), I was reading books like Tom Hodgkinson's ''how to be free'' and thinking that I could not make money more important than free time. I was marvelling at my own ability to fill my time, to feel content in my hobbies. TH advises that one toils but not excessively. He also advises that we don't outsource our boredom (netflix, facebook) but do the things we say we'd do if we had time. We do have time, or at least we do if we're not swapping mere money for precious time.
So those were the shifting cogs in my brain as I went through the motions of seeing a career coach! I also read Sharon Blackies ''if women rose rooted'' during that period. It was an incredible book which encouraged me to listen to myself, and I have a few 'hobbies' now which are very satisfying. I can never value career now. It was only my ego that valued a career.
I did get a job but although she was good and she helped me it was nothing to do with her as it came from something I started before I first met with her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now