Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Picking up money off the floor

(22 Posts)
SemiNormal Tue 19-Sep-17 21:50:46

Just wondered if anyone else does this and is it something I'd be judged for? blush

On the way to school my son and I always see money people have dropped for some reason. One of us will always pick it up for his penny jar. The past 5 days we've found £1.50 (made up of £1, 20p x 2, 5p, 2p x 2 and a penny)! I often see people just walk past the loose change but we always pick it up grin I'm truly baffled because I live in an area where there is a very high rate of poverty so why are so many people throwing away loose change and/or walking past it?

Millie2013 Tue 19-Sep-17 22:01:10

Pick it up and save it over a few years smile
I rarely see coins on the floor, but last week I saw a penny and picked it up for good luck (because I could do with some at the moment grin)

Penguin27 Tue 19-Sep-17 22:05:17

I'd pick it up if it was a penny (good luck!) or £1/£2 ... anything else I kind of look at in a "I want to pick you up but I'm not going to!" kind of way...

AliceLutherNeeMorgan Tue 19-Sep-17 22:10:04

I once read (years ago) that Freddie Laker used to make 40$ a year picking up change from the floor. I'm not saying he's a great financial role model or anything but clearly it can be worth it!

SemiNormal Tue 19-Sep-17 22:10:07

Millie2013 - Yup we save it and when it reaches certain amount (including money I add randomly with loose change) then it gets put in his bank. smile

Penguin27 - I used that same look for years, now I mostly say to my son "Look, more treasure" and he gets it but now even if he's not with me I've taken to picking it up! grin I think it's mostly due to how much we find though, it's honestly most days we'll find at least one coin. I don't know if it's luck or if I've just got used to looking for it!

PacificDogwod Tue 19-Sep-17 22:11:29

I always pick it up, my DCs won't confused
I embarrass them - I see that as my job grin

SemiNormal Tue 19-Sep-17 22:11:56

AliceLutherNeeMorgan That doesn't surprise me, it's amazing how it soon adds up. I think starting next January we may keep a separate pot and then count it at the end of the year, then challenge ourselves to find more the following year! smile

segc94 Tue 19-Sep-17 22:19:13

Aw me and my mum used to (still do, but shhhh) have little competitions as to who can find the most pennies on the floor!
It's a waste if it just stays on the floor, and as they say 'pennies make pounds' grin no judging here - penny pick to your hearts content.

TroelsLovesSquinkies Tue 19-Sep-17 22:27:47

We pick up too, Dd is very fast at finding money on the floor.

ToastyFingers Tue 19-Sep-17 22:32:26

I don't, unless it's paper money.

When I was in school, in a poor area, picking up loose change would have you brands a 'scrubber' and bullied mercilessly. Some horrible sorts used to deliberately leave change on the floor and wait to rip on anyone who dared pick it up.

It sounds odd, but I don't think I could bring myself to now, I'd find it oddly shameful.

SemiNormal Tue 19-Sep-17 22:36:08

Glad to see so many other penny pickers - makes me feel a little less shameful about it!

ToastyFingers - That's awful. I do remember when I was younger a group of lads had glued £1 coins in front of a building they were staying in. My friend spotted them first and ran over to pick them up and they were watching out of the window and started shouting abuse. She just shouted 'fuck off' and used the heel of her shoe to break them off the pavement, then she shouted 'thanks' and we walked off grin

SparklyUnicornPoo Tue 19-Sep-17 22:47:05

I pick up change, I used to do it as a child because money was tight and its just a habit now.

Someone glued a £2 coin on the floor in the beer garden of the pub I used to work in once, i saw a lot of people bend down to try and pick it up then look embarrassed and try to act like they were doing something else so I reckon it's actually quite a common thing to do.

PoppyPopcorn Tue 19-Sep-17 22:51:38

I'm rubbish at spotting money but my kids are eagle-eyed and spot loads. Definitely pick it up!!

imnottoofussed Tue 19-Sep-17 23:02:12

I pick it up except 1p or 2p for some reason I feel odd picking them up confused

Trb17 Tue 19-Sep-17 23:04:43

DD chased a fiver down in the wind the other day grin

codswallopandbalderdash Tue 19-Sep-17 23:06:02

I used to be disgusted that my niece and her friends used to routinely drop coins on the ground having been to shops as they couldn't be bothered carrying small change around. This phase went on for ages but has stopped now. I would hope someone would get the benefit from loose change lying on the ground

Ptennisnet Wed 20-Sep-17 00:41:44

I don't do it because when I was a teenager the bitchy girls at school would give me funny looks if I did so. I can't even remember what the reason is for not supposed to be picking them up, but I'm still scared to do so as an adult even though I always want to, even though I can't remember why.

SemiNormal Wed 20-Sep-17 00:54:01

codswallopandbalderdash - Ahh yep I'd be a bit cross about dumping change like that too. Better to put it in a charity box near the till rather than just throw it (unless you live near me then by all means ..)!

Funny that there are a few people who want to pick it up but don't. As I said I never used to either. Even now I do wonder what people think (if anything) when they see me pick up money off the floor but I just view it that the £1.50 I found the past 5 days is enough for a couple of items at the supermarket (more if you're a savvy shopper - which I am). That £1.50 is a huge amount of money to someone who has little or none.

highinthesky Wed 20-Sep-17 02:24:04

I pick it up but it goes to charity, usually the boxes in local shops.

retainertrainer Wed 20-Sep-17 06:19:22

My friend and I used to pick up all the money that the cool kids dropped around our secondary school. We were very stealth about it,one of us would jerk look out,the other would bend down to 'tie their lace'. We collected loads,enough each week for a trip to the corner shop for sweets.

SemiNormal Wed 20-Sep-17 19:55:37

I thought I'd jinxed myself this morning, not a single penny! Then on the walk home from the school run I found a nice shiny 50p! It was in a busy area so I had to be stealthy grin

MsAwesomeDragon Wed 20-Sep-17 20:02:02

I pick up loads of coins around my secondary school. I usually put it in a pot to pay the postage/donation for the shoe box appeal in November, as the kids are great at bringing in bits and bobs to put in the boxes but less great about bringing the money required for the donations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now