Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

You helped me with my Premier Inn Hub question - now please advise on a show?

(13 Posts)
PacificDogwod Tue 19-Sep-17 21:44:56

Please?

Going to the Big Smoke with DSs (13 and 14).
They are not theatre goers and not really in to musicals. Well, they don't know any musicals.

So, I'm thinking ?Stomp ?School of Rock ?Thriller

Anything you could suggest.
We must go to one show - I insist grin

TIA thanks

Kez100 Tue 19-Sep-17 22:18:55

School of rock (although I haven't been) it gets great reviews. I quite fancy the Meatloaf one if it's on yet. Thriller I've seen and you might be disappointed as it's a dance and singing show not typical West end.

We got tickets for thriller cheap at TKTS booth in Leicester Square.

I also got cheap tickets for Beautiful, which was great but probably not for two teen boys.

PacificDogwod Tue 19-Sep-17 22:29:51

Thank you, Kez.

I am not sure whether to risk the ticket booths?
We're only in London for 2 nights, so knowing when we are to be where will help manage my stress levels wink

Bumpinthenight Tue 19-Sep-17 23:32:00

The play that goes wrong is great fun!

Migraleve Tue 19-Sep-17 23:39:07

quite fancy the Meatloaf one if it's on yet.. Bat out of hell ended last month!

JakeBallardswife Tue 19-Sep-17 23:43:32

Evita- utterly brilliant.

RedastheRose Tue 19-Sep-17 23:45:38

The 39 steps is great fun, done with a skeleton cast, really enjoyed it. My DD's both loved Wicked too. Alternatively, see if there is a decent comedian on somewhere.

Potcallingkettle Tue 19-Sep-17 23:52:04

School of Rock is fabulous. DC still insisting on listening to the soundtrack. Wicked is great fun too - check they know outline of Wizard of Oz story as it then makes sense as the prequel.
Matilda or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are also well worth seeing especially if they enjoyed the books when younger.

Kez100 Wed 20-Sep-17 08:47:51

I use the proper TKTS official booth in Leicester Square. Walk past all the others.

It's a proper building, with about 4-6 windows to buy from. Often a long queue but also mini screens showing prices so you can choose while waiting. I've used that booth lots of times, no problem.

But, yes, I'd not use the others although I've no experience of them.

SpringBreak Wed 20-Sep-17 08:54:22

Charlie has finished unfortunately.
WIcked gets another vote from me, but if you're only in London for two nights, you probably want to be in theatreland proper and not Victoria so how about a classic like the Mousetrap? If you are very liberal in your approach to swearing in your house, The Book of Mormon is sidesplittingly funny but might be a bit too much for a 13 yr old!

ShatnersWig Wed 20-Sep-17 08:54:34

Kez Beautiful has finished anyway as has Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Pot

Trying to work out why OP says they are not into musicals but then suggests School of Rock... which is a musical.... and others suggest more musicals like Wicked and Evita and Matilda... misses point....

I second Play That Goes Wrong. It's not a musical. It's not overly long. It's very funny. And it's not a musical.

m4rdybum Wed 20-Sep-17 09:12:39

We went to go see Kinky Boots the other weekend - it was great. (& I'm definitely not a huge fan of musicals)

PacificDogwod Wed 20-Sep-17 20:03:03

Oh, I am very happy to subject them to a musical! grin
Exposing them to that kind of thing once every 3 years does not seem too much of a hardship to me (and IME they do like it once I have dragged them there...).

Thank you, all.

I saw Stomp a number of years ago and I think the energy of it all would really appeal to them.
Book of Mormon I would love, but they would just roll their eyes.
Wicked? Hm, that's another option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now