Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

OK lay your best bet - how many party bags do I need?

(21 Posts)
cottonwoolbrain Tue 19-Sep-17 15:37:02

DS has his first full class party coming up this weekend

29 invitations went out day after term started. 11 responses received - 9 coming, 2 declined.

That leaves another 18 responses outstanding. Will put reminders out tomorrow but need to start sorting out catering and party bags....

Lay your bets - how many will come?

MrsZB Tue 19-Sep-17 15:42:19

That's really tricky. It's so thoughtless of people not to reply.

Could you do cones of sweets because they work out quite cheap ...

Notanothergiraffe Tue 19-Sep-17 15:45:05

17 is my wild guess but it could be anywhere from 7 to 27 😬

Fekko Tue 19-Sep-17 15:47:08

7 or 103.

BasicBetty Tue 19-Sep-17 16:00:49

I'm going with 20.

Don't want to alarm you, BUT we invited the whole reception class (30) to DS birthday - 20 acceptances, a couple declined and we had 36 kids at the party shock 3 rocked up without replying and the rest were siblings!! Writing names on party bags is definitely a good plan!

formerbabe Tue 19-Sep-17 16:02:09

Always do more than you think you'll need...I'd give any left over to siblings of the invited children.

WindyWednesday Tue 19-Sep-17 16:06:54

Why is it so hard to reply to an invitation? People are so rude. I've given up doing the class party now, too much of this crap. So I invited 8 to a to a party at home, ended up with 4 turning up. Bollocks to it I say.

Ponyboycurtis Tue 19-Sep-17 16:14:33

I would probably make up 32-35, from experience kids who haven't replied will come anyway & siblings may stay/queue up for a bag. I always had a box of bags for the ones invited and a spare few that were made up of what I had left over, I gave them to the siblings who had stayed. (I actually would've made up 70+ bags as mine are twins so every child had a bag from each of mine, needless to say I stopped class parties after Yr 2!).

ALittleMop Tue 19-Sep-17 16:15:32

Do a lucky dip instead
Then if they don't get used you can roll them over to next year/next kid/folks can have 2/take home for brothers and sisters

ALittleMop Tue 19-Sep-17 16:17:16

People are so crap at replying. I try to reply instantly so I don't forget.

Props to the mum in DDs class who said venue will be revealed when you text to RSVP

Ponyboycurtis Tue 19-Sep-17 16:17:58

alittlemop that's a brilliant idea, saves all the bother, lucky dip and a bit if cake, job done.

PavoReal Tue 19-Sep-17 16:23:16

I have a very similar story to basicbetty. I did a whole reception class party and invited 29 last year. I didn't do a count at the party itself, but it was certainly around the 30 children mark due to hoards of uninivited siblings (both older and younger). It wasn't a problem as I'd done worst case scenario and catered for 30. The uninvited siblings didn't expect a party bag or a place at the table so everything was OK.

cottonwoolbrain Tue 19-Sep-17 16:35:18

Sigh, I'll do 30... if the worst comes to the worst and hardly anyone turns up I can comfort myself with a pile of fun size chocolate bars and mini packs of haribo grin

Why can people just not reply -I know this is a common gripe on mumsnet but just why?

Fekko Tue 19-Sep-17 16:51:16

I used to buy the partybags and have a selection of goodies - so small packs of sweets, puzzles, toys etc (so that any leftovers would be used anyway) and do an 'on the spot' bag make up on the day.

WindyWednesday Tue 19-Sep-17 17:12:57

I don't understand why pp can't reply. This time I put a rsvp by date on the invite, and that didn't work.

I always feel it's as though pp are waiting for a better offer.

I always reply asap, but our school doesn't seem to do parties. Only two this whole year. (2017 not school year)

My friend had a good one where she had random children turning up who weren't invited. She didn't know what to say. I had a bouncer ( my bold mate) on the door incase of stowaways.

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 19-Sep-17 17:14:57

15 & a half

cottonwoolbrain Tue 19-Sep-17 17:18:47

A half???? Which half top or bottom or will they be neatly sliced lengthwise?

A1Sharon Tue 19-Sep-17 17:56:09

M&S have their Halloween chocolate ball nets in now, 3 for 2. I always do these for post party treat.

RiversrunWoodville Tue 19-Sep-17 18:32:48

Windy are you from NI <if so waves I might be that friend>

chanie44 Tue 19-Sep-17 19:20:50

We recently had DDs party. We invited the whole class of 30 to a party in a hall.

11 responded in good time.

2 of the 11 didn't show up on the day.

2 contacted me the day of the party to confirm.

4 just turned up.

There were loads of siblings (a couple asked if they could bring a sibling, but a many just turned up with them!)

I was expecting 15 (including siblings). I made up 24 party bag and was still scrambling around for a couple more.

WindyWednesday Tue 19-Sep-17 20:15:20

Sorry River I'm not from NI, but waves anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now