Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Christmas stuff in every shop I've visited today!

(74 Posts)
BlueButTrue Tue 19-Sep-17 14:08:51

Well, I've only been in a few so far but still.

Wilko -Big Halloween section which was fine. I get to another lane and BANG, Santa ball balls everywhere shock

Local Asda - Christmas selection of gifts etc etc etc with Christmas designs on Dove products. Selection boxes and chocolate boxes on offer.

The Works - First thing I see when I walk in is the Christmas arts and crafts section, with big fonts above saying "Christmas is coming!"

See also Poundland. Christmas lanes all over the place and hardly any Halloween.

What's going on? I'm a complete Christmas lover but even I think mid September is somewhat early, no?

They're getting me excited too soon. I'll burn out, don't you know?!

Dfg15 Tue 19-Sep-17 14:11:28

Ive seen this too in my local garden centres. It's ridiculous- I love Christmas but mid November is early enough for the displays surely

BlueButTrue Tue 19-Sep-17 14:13:20

Dfg Our local garden centre have had the Christmas galore in since August! I didn't think that was so bad since garden centre seem to be known for that type of feckery grin

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Tue 19-Sep-17 14:13:32

I used to be quite Christmassy but now Christmas starts in September I really can't stand it.

We haven't had Halloween yet. And my birthday feels less birthdayish with tinsel and similar wank all over the place.

PoppyPopcorn Tue 19-Sep-17 14:15:25

Voice your displeasure. I told the staff in my local Coop that it was completely ridiculous to have a freestanding display of mince pies in the first week of September.

Akire Tue 19-Sep-17 14:16:02

Does seem earlier this year. Normally wilko and the like have practically zero Xmas until after Halloween. But mine has big Xmas aisle this week plus still clearning summer shelves for more halloweeen stuff.

Nothing in pound shops yet just Halloween. Card factory had for a month! Not that I mind as can get them Out of the way before shops gets busy

BlueButTrue Tue 19-Sep-17 14:17:33

KingJoffrey My birthday is at the end of this month and it feels less 'birthday' than usual too.

I suppose the up side to all of this is getting Christmas things bought and organised early, in a sense.

Mind you, I felt as if the shop assistant was very hmm about me buying the 'make your own reindeer' kit today blush

BlueButTrue Tue 19-Sep-17 14:19:31

Niko Our Wilko Christmas section is huge!

And Poundland's Christmas section is bigger than their Halloween here, it all feels so bizarre.

Perhaps I should quite moaning and take advantage of the early stock. I'm currently 32 weeks pregnant and won't feel much like Christmas shopping with a newborn, despite my usual Christmas cheer

WindyWednesday Tue 19-Sep-17 14:23:21

Our wilko didn't have any Christmas stuff, they were only starting on the hallowe'en crap stuff. They still had all the summer gardening stuff out which cheered me up. But no skipping ropes to be found anywhere. Annoying as it's the one thing the DC are desperate for after I binned the old manky one.

Annaanaconda Tue 19-Sep-17 14:28:59

To be fair I can understand The Works and Hobbycraft having Christmas crafting stuff out. If you make your own Christmas cards, particularly if you make loads to sell, you need to start early. The rest can do one. I want Halloween stuff first!

BlueButTrue Tue 19-Sep-17 14:33:45

WindyWednesday Have you had a look on Amazon? They have loads available

If not, my local T.K Maxx always have them in. Perhaps yours will too?

NamasteTheFuckAwayFromMe Tue 19-Sep-17 14:39:26

Poppy to be fair, the staff usually have no control over when the Christmas stock comes out.

When I worked retail we had Christmas music piped in from November 1st. We disliked it as much as the customers but had no choice but to listen for 8 hours a day!

BlueButTrue Tue 19-Sep-17 14:42:16

Name That's true but a lot of shops give retail workers the power to report any upsets or feedback from customers etc

PJBanana Tue 19-Sep-17 14:56:30

The M&S near me has a big display of their festive shortbread tins and chocolates just as you enter the doors, although no actual mention of the 'C' word.

I went into Tesco at the weekend and they had a whole aisle dedicated to selection boxes, festive chocolate etc but again, no actual mention of the 'C' word either.

I guess a lot of places need to get stuff out there because everywhere else is, and it's all some big vicious circle.

I work for an online retailer and we've been knee deep in baubles for a month now. I quite like it.

GherkinSnatch Tue 19-Sep-17 15:08:31

I hate it, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to get some mince pies in the Co-op today.

I find it difficult, because I sell handmade things at craft fairs and I'm really needing to make a start on building up my Christmas stock. And then I need to decide when to start promoting it, because too soon and it turns people off but if I leave it too late I risk missing the boat.

WindyWednesday Tue 19-Sep-17 16:09:32

Thanks Blue, I've seen them on Amazon, but will need to add things to total up to £20 for free delivery so thought I'd pop along to the actual shops for one.

Don't have a TKMAXX, live near a crap small town. Good for betting shops and cash for gold shops. But no good for skipping ropes it would seem.

Zaphodsotherhead Tue 19-Sep-17 16:12:02

I work in a shop and we've got the Christmas display out.

I asked 'why so early?' and it was pointed out to me that there's only three pay days until Christmas (for those paid monthly at the end of each month).

For those who have to stagger the cost of Christmas, it makes sense to start buying themed 'bits' as early as possible.

EnidButton Tue 19-Sep-17 16:19:15

Like Zaphod says, it's 3 pay days away. Some people like to space the spending out. It's the last two weeks of September, Halloween isn't that big a thing in the UK, we don't have Thanksgiving, so Christmas is the next big thing in retail. A lot of places get their stock in in June/July, they just don't put it out. Planning for next year's themes will have already started. The sales assistant on the shop floor has zero say in any of it. The only thing people who do have a say, would listen to is the sound of silent tills.

I'm ok with it personally. I like being organised ahead of time when it comes to Christmas. So come December I can enjoy the other things that comes with the festive season rather than buying stuff. Can understand why it annoys some, though

hudyerwheesht Tue 19-Sep-17 16:41:01

I get that it has to be a while before Christmas but it is actually getting earlier every year and I think it's getting ridiculous now, it's usually August when you're sitting in the sunshine and the first "book now for Christmas" banners are up. hmm Can I just enjoy the summer first please?

When I was pregnant with DS 13 years ago, I finished on the 19th October - I remember I took holiday and had a whole month before my due date during which time I was hoping to get most of, if not all, my Christmas shopping done and I remember being disappointed in my first week of maternity leave that there was still not many gifts out yet - even the Boots gift catalogue wasn't yet out.
I went in to Boots on Saturday and they've already got aisles full of gifts so it is definitely getting gradually earlier which is what annoys me - there has always been 3 pay days from now until Christmas so why this fucking nonsense of having mince pies in store in fucking September?! I fail to see how that helps anyone spread the cost of it all.

It annoys me somewhat, can you tell? grin

EnidButton Tue 19-Sep-17 16:46:05

Why does it annoy you though? You don't have to buy anything until you feel it's time. Genuine question. <offers a mince pie> grin

HelenaDove Tue 19-Sep-17 16:59:02

I wonder if some of these stores have become aware that Universal Credit is on the way to some areas and thats why they have put stuff out so early. Note how its all the cheaper shops doing it which is where its more likely that people on UC will shop. This rollout IS going to affect the low price economy and i suspect these stores well know it!

Our local Iceland had its Christmas stuff out so i was able to get DH two boxes of Whitakers Coffee Creams for our anniversary.

elQuintoConyo Tue 19-Sep-17 17:10:46

tinsel and similar wank might be my Christmas namechange grin

I don't buy Christmas-themed gifts nor 3x2 offer stuff, so i can buy my gifts throughout the year or in November/December and i can find anything i want. I do like getting bargain prices on battery powered tealights and finger hankies and the like.
I started my Christmas crafts on 1st August and should be designing my cards this week ('planning' as in ds' fingerprint reindeers or ds' fingerprint snowmen grin).

EnidButton Tue 19-Sep-17 17:53:59

Helena Places like John Lewis and Selfridges have their Christmas stock out now too. I think it was this time last year as well or was it later?

EnidButton Tue 19-Sep-17 17:55:20

Probably not the thread for it but I want to see those Christmas cards el They sound awesome. grin

EnidButton Tue 19-Sep-17 17:58:40

I should say I haven't bought anything Christmassy and do like elQuinto and get stuff when I see it throughout the year. So I don't know why I'm defending it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now